PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing flyers

T10
06-09-2008, 07:53
After years of playing Warhammer, this situation came up for the first time: A flying monster with US 5 is fleeing and passes over a friendly unit as it moves.

Does this trigger a panic test?

-T10

DeathlessDraich
06-09-2008, 08:02
Fleeing over is not fleeing through, so I would say no.

The Red Scourge
06-09-2008, 08:16
There is no exceptions for flyers in this regard, so this will cause a panic test.

DeathlessDraich
06-09-2008, 08:21
1) The Panic rules does use the important word 'through'.

2) Fanatic rules also seem to support this - "Flyers must land" etc. i.e. flyers are not moving through a unit while flying.

3) The only ambiguity is the word 'can' in the flyers rule but given the option I'm sure any player would rather not fly through but fly over to prevent Panic.

Gazak Blacktoof
06-09-2008, 09:01
I would find it strange if my opponent didn't think that a screeching dragon, griffin or other large monster would cause a panic test while 5 scruffy peasants would.

Fantasy is normally a game played in 2 dimensions, clearly fliers haven't been considered in this case and if you were so inclined you could claim that the unit doesn't take a panic test but its probably the sort of claim that's going to spoil a perfectly good game.

semersonp
06-09-2008, 09:23
BfSP BRB pg 68

"
flyers

fleeing & pursuing...

flyers always choose to fly while fleeing (say THAT five times fast :))... distance flyers flee is based on their flying move rather than their ground move...

flyers can flee over interposing terrain and units... if their move ends inside impassable terrain or non-fleeing enemies they are destroyed as normal...
"

BfSP BRB pg49

"
a unit must take a panic test...

fleeing friendly models move through the unit
"

so yeah, flyers fly OVER their friends, foes so unless they land on them they don't cause panic/get destroyed... flying over them just doesn't cut it... apparently rnf troops can gaze beatifically upward as their mighty general on a dragon beats cheeks above them yelling for his momma, while the ragtag five man milita squad that just brushed by them on their way off the field causes them enough psychological distress that they need to see if they abandon all hope of victory and high tail it for the hills...

its a crazy sick advantage, especially when you're facing pegasus knights :p

but thems the rules

T10
06-09-2008, 15:11
Fleeing over is not fleeing through, so I would say no.

We pretty much came to the same conclusion: no panic test unless it lands in a friendly unit, and that it is slightly wierd.

On the onther hand, it's not that different from a fleeing unit passing within an inch of a friendly unit...

-T10