PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves vs Steam Tank

anerion
06-09-2008, 16:57
i'm playing a game in the morning. 1500pts and my friend is determined he's going to use a steam tank in his army. now i've never faced one before, and all i ever hear about is its killy power. and in such a small battle i haven't got much room to move in terms of troop choices or numbers..
as i only get one rare, i'm torn between 2 bolt throwers or the hydra.. do i forsake the firepower or what? any help, greatly appreciated!

anerion.

Lord Dan
06-09-2008, 17:11
He's taking a steam tank in a 1500 point game? Wow.

Anyway, 2 bolt throwers would do mean things to a Steam Tank. +1 to hit, 4's to wound, it gets no armor save, and you do D3 wounds. Assuming you don't know how a Steam Tank works, it gets worse the less wounds it has (out of 10). To sum it up, it's basically ineffective when you get it down to half wounds.

Just remember not to stop until it's completely blown up! Then make some obnoxious explosion sound, sealing the deal in making sure he never takes one in such a small game again.

LKHERO
06-09-2008, 18:00
Just remember not to stop until it's completely blown up! Then make some obnoxious explosion sound, sealing the deal in making sure he never takes one in such a small game again.

I second this completely.

1500 with a Steam Tank lol.

the Khaki Campbell
06-09-2008, 18:38
Bolt throwers all the way.

fubukii
06-09-2008, 21:00
lore of metal works good as well, if you get spirit of the forge.

nikolai7
06-09-2008, 21:05
plus a steam tank is a whole pile of points so once your bolt throwers deal with it he wont have alot left to fight back with.. as an empire player id never use one in a game that small.

Benigno (WE)
06-09-2008, 21:49
Bolt Throwers FTW, use the single shoot until it crumbles.

Fanatic
06-09-2008, 22:07
I have played with empire a couple of time the only thing to fear (other than the hulking tank heading towards you) are the cannons, if he, being in the cheesy mood, decides to take 2 cannons then he would probably kill your bolt throwers in a round or 2, also the lore of metal is pretty effective, the lvl 1 spell does a wound on a 3+. BTW the tank starts hurting really bad after 3 wounds so if you get a lucky shot early, its crippled.

Also a nice tank trap is using that stubborn infantry you have and stopping the tank in that for a turn or 2 and then hitting it with a hydra or knights.

anerion
07-09-2008, 00:36
cheers all. that is all quite invaluble, so many thanks.

Anerion.

Shank
07-09-2008, 01:55
Oh, there is nothing cheesy about tanking a Steam Tank in a 1500 point game. And Dark Elves have lots of stuff to deal it some pain. Take a few wounds off it with your Bolt Throwers, then focus on the rest of his army. Once you start chipping away at the tanks wounds, it becomes less and less effective. Another nice trick is to give one of you characters the Potion of Strength.
But lets all get over it. The Tank is one of the Strengths of the Empire. Learn to deal with it!

Lord Dan
07-09-2008, 02:26
I think in a 1500 point game, any single model that costs 20% of your army is cheesy. And I'm not even going into the fluff aspect.

anerion
07-09-2008, 13:49
booom! one steam tank destroyed, i took it down to five wounds with my bolt throwers and then charged it with a master with crimson death = str 6 attacks. followed by some obnoxious explosion sounds for effect! cheers all. (p.s. won the game to with a minor victory)

nikolai7
07-09-2008, 21:17
well done, not that i particularly like seeing my favourite army beaten.. but goes to show asking for advice in this place does work

Tizz
07-09-2008, 22:23
A small block of 10 or so bare-bones Executions can do the job as well, as long as you get the charge!

Warlord Broken spear
08-09-2008, 00:42
would a DoW cannon be any good againt the tank?

this is comming from a skaven player
and the only thing skaven have againt it is Jezzails

Lord Dan
08-09-2008, 02:44
I'd take Jezzails over a DoW cannon.

The DoW cannon is only somewhat less effective than a Bolt thower. Provided you guess correctly and the shot doesn't misfire, you then need 2's to wound and the tank gets no armor save. However unlike an empire great cannon, you only do D3 wounds.

Compare this to jezzails which are +1 to hit, S6 and armor piercing. Take an average unit of 6-8, and do the math. ;)

highelfmage
08-09-2008, 04:01
skaven can use brass orb, poison globodiers and warp fire thrower(laser thing cant think of name d6 wound random S)

sniperjolly
08-09-2008, 04:34
skaven can use brass orb, poison globodiers and warp fire thrower(laser thing cant think of name d6 wound random S)

warp lightning cannon

DeathlessDraich
08-09-2008, 10:19
i'm playing a game in the morning. 1500pts and my friend is determined he's going to use a steam tank in his army. now i've never faced one before, and all i ever hear about is its killy power. and in such a small battle i haven't got much room to move in terms of troop choices or numbers..
as i only get one rare, i'm torn between 2 bolt throwers or the hydra.. do i forsake the firepower or what? any help, greatly appreciated!

anerion.

2 Bolt throwers - 2+ or 3+ to hit and 4+ to wound could definitely do some damage. (67% probability or better)
On the other hand, I doubt whether the Empire player will expose the Stank to dangerous shooting and could just as easily destroy your Bolt throwers with his shooting etc.

I would prefer using two Assassins with Manbane and Rune of Khaine.

Spirit
09-09-2008, 01:42
lore of metal works good as well, if you get spirit of the forge.

Spirit of the forge affects 2d6 MODELS, not 2d6 hits, so the Stank only takes one hit from it i would imagine.