PDA

View Full Version : New release idea- Open Beta style

Mozzamanx
07-09-2008, 00:05
Ello,

I was thinking today about a possible rethink of how releases are done.

Instead of the current 'Heavy playtest, tinker, release, whine' that we have now, we should put out a pdf. with the initial release.

After playtesting, Games Workshop would release all the models. In the new releases bit, include an address where players can download a 'skeleton' of the codex, including all the rules, but not the fluff or hobby sections. Include prices, and make the download free. Over the next 2 or 3 months, Games Workshop would be able to take advice and balance issues straight from the masses, which would help highlight areas which need work. Then, after a few months for testing, they can put out a fully bound book complete with the fluff and painting sections, with rebalanced rules.

Similar to the open beta of a game, the larger number of testers would really strain the book and squeeze out every imbalance, finishing in better codexes a few months down the line.

Whatcha reckon?

MrGiggles
07-09-2008, 00:18
Not a bad idea, though how open GW would be to it is, well their call.

Realistically, releasing rules and codices in a free online format could be a way to really open things up like competitive leagues and the like. It's obviously not the be all and end all for that sort of thing, but it'd be a step.

Madfool2
07-09-2008, 00:40
I think we should just whine, whine, whine some more, let it be released, whine some more, and just whine.

Bunnahabhain
07-09-2008, 00:40
It's a good idea, and has been the last 16 times it's been suggested too...

Firaxin
07-09-2008, 00:44
Well the online pdfs would become invalid as soon as the actual book was released, so that doesn't help competitive leagues.

IMHO its a bad idea.

Say army X is slotted to get some new cool unit or buffed stats to something or other, which isn't necessarily overpowered at all, taking points and other factors into account.

Then, all the online whingers will whinge away... so that for every 1 person who agrees with the choice, there will be 10 who don't, because the army isn't their own or something along those lines. GW will listen to the majority, and the finished package will include an overpriced, useless unit rather than the buff the designers originally intended.

Templar Ben
07-09-2008, 00:53
It's a good idea, and has been the last 16 times it's been suggested too...

Agreed. It works elsewhere.

Well the online pdfs would become invalid as soon as the actual book was released, so that doesn't help competitive leagues.

IMHO its a bad idea.

Say army X is slotted to get some new cool unit or buffed stats to something or other, which isn't necessarily overpowered at all, taking points and other factors into account.

Then, all the online whingers will whinge away... so that for every 1 person who agrees with the choice, there will be 10 who don't, because the army isn't their own or something along those lines. GW will listen to the majority, and the finished package will include an overpriced, useless unit rather than the buff the designers originally intended.

Funny that.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-09-2008, 00:56
The problem you would face is that it takes many months to get a book from design, through printing and onto shelves. Would you be willing to wait 6 months for the book, or would you just use a free one off the interwebs?

Mouldsta
07-09-2008, 01:13
The problems with this as I see it would be;

What sort of "style" do the rules take? Some people like the armies to be based off the fluff, with options, units and restrictions based around background, while other people prefer a really competitive style and would never use unit A if unit B was statistically better. The two extremes of this would be cool units that are absolutely useless, and incredibly powerful but completely soulless units.

Then you have the people with a warped sense of what things should be able to do in a game, the people that think that a space marine should be able to punch a leman russ in half with ease, with no weapons, or that lasguns should be highly effective against carnifex's.

Ignoring for one moment the "that's not fair!" whiners, who for any stat/rule/equipment they aren't happy unless their own army has a better version, cheaper, a worrying large ammount of people seem to have little grasp of tactics, and seem to play games of run-at-them-and-kill-them on planet bowling ball. I don't want to have rules refined by people who have absolutely no idea how to actually use something properly. As a case in point, I lent my dark elves, a highly mobile army, to someone to use. He knows all the rules, so he's not a beginner, but afterwards complained that the dark riders (stupidly fast light cav) weren't very effective. He'd not moved them AT ALL in the entire game, simply waited for the opponent's (slow) elite infantry block to cross the board, engage them in combat, and (inevitably) beat them.

Lastly there's the people that don't have a freaking clue, and they're the one's that always clamour the loudest and the most frequently. Having recently played someone who genuinely believed that it was unfair for dwarfs to ONLY be really hard to kill, great at shooting and good at combat, and that they should all move faster than horses, have magic, and destryoy anything they come across, then this would make me despair. (He was adament he would become a games designer, to fix this "problem" so that dwarfs were "balanced" - his words, not mine). Prepare then for T6 Eldar (they get out the way)
1pt orks (there's suppossed to be thousands of them) and land raiders having a special rule where they can drive to wherever they like on the board, and anything they drive over is instantly crushed.

Templar Ben
07-09-2008, 01:26
If the units are properly costed then the fluff players are not penalized because there is the one good Elite or one good Heavy Support (good meaning most efficient for the points).

vladsimpaler
07-09-2008, 04:52
Eh...I have a faint feeling that despite everything that the players playtest, that GW wouldn't change it anyway.

scarletsquig
07-09-2008, 06:29
Open beta ha been used before, with the trial assualt rules in white dwarf.

Worked pretty well.

the1stpip
07-09-2008, 15:37
It has been used in a similar format for a long while, and I believe it still is.

I remember a while back, my friends were playtesting the Ok army book, and although we were allowed to look at the battle, we were not allowed near the book.

Just recently, my friend had a copy of the new DE book, some time before it was released.