PDA

View Full Version : rank bonuses?

hendybadger
07-09-2008, 10:13
i am new to fantasy and i am abit confused about rank bonuses.

do the ranks have to be 5 models wide or 5 unit strength wide?

for example. 20 skeletons. 4 ranks of 5 get + 3 bonus.
a chariot is unit strength 4 so can you have 8 chariots in 4 ranks 2 wide each and still get the bonus?
or 3 ogres per rank ? being US 2 each?

hope someone can help clear this up

Atrahasis
07-09-2008, 10:48
5 models, not US5.

Note also that all the chariots that can rank up are US3, as are Ogres.

TheWarSmith
07-09-2008, 15:53
Atrahasis is correct.

The only chariots that CAN rank up, are Tomb Kings, and they're classified as "light chariots", meaning they are US3 and only do d3 impact hits, can take ranks, and command.

Lord Dan
07-09-2008, 22:14
I'd like to third the statements which have been already given.

Also note that some units will not receive rank bonuses even if they are 5 models wide to a rank, such as:

Skirmishers
Flyers
Fast Cavalry

Of course there are exceptions to this, all listed in the individual unit entries in their respective army books.

TheWarSmith
08-09-2008, 23:42
And, as an exception to the skirmishers rule, beast herds may get only +2, IF they're able to rank 5 wide.

Shmee
09-09-2008, 19:20
Since my account is new and i cant post new thread yet, ima ask this question here.
Does items/gifts like Slime Trail only prevents your opponent from receiving a +1 combat resolution or does it also allows you to keep your own rank bonuses as well.

T10
10-09-2008, 07:16
You are still allowed to negate the rank bonus. Negating the enemy unit's rank bonus is one benefit of engaging them in the flank or rear, the +1/+2 combat resolution bonus is a separate benefit.

Valaraukar
10-09-2008, 07:54
How about the Varghulf I don't have the book so not sure how that rule about no flank/rear etc. is worded?

TheDarkDaff
10-09-2008, 08:03
The Vargulf has no rank bonus (and can't get one) so it would just negate the bonus the enemy gets for a flank/rear charge.

Valaraukar
10-09-2008, 08:09
Doh! of course. How would people work this if it was a multiple combat and a unit and the varghulf were both charged from the rear? Presumably the unit would still lose it's rank bonus as it is still caught from behind unawares even if the varghulf is fully aware.

T10
10-09-2008, 12:42
Very well: A unit of skeletons and a varghulf have bothe has engaged a unit of empire swordsmen to the front. These are in turn counter-charged in the flank: The skeletons by a unit of spearmen and the varghulf by a unit of halberdiers.

The varghulf denies the halberdiers the flanking bonus, but the skeletons do not deny the spearmen the bonus. Thus the empire player gets to claim the flanking bonus for combat resolution in this combat.

If the swordsmen are then charged on the flank by a unit of ghouls and a unit of zombies the vampir counts player should be able to claim the flanking bonus: Both players have two units in a flanking position, but we can assume that the halberdiers do not count since they are flanking the varghulf.

Simple?

-T10

Reinnon
10-09-2008, 12:45
please note: the varghulf is only US4 and thus can't negate ranks.

Valaraukar
10-09-2008, 14:21
Actually I meant if a single unit were in B2B contact with both the varghulf and say the unit of skellies and another charged them both from the rear making it into B2B with both. What would happen? Would they gain the combat resolution of +2 from rear charging the unit even though the varghulf is unaffected and it's one combat? Also would they negate the targets ranks even though the varghulf cannot be flanked etc.

Reinnon
10-09-2008, 15:43
ahhh i see, sorry.

In that case, you would still get +2 combat res. The varghulf might not have a flank or rear, but the skeletons still do. This situation is rare though as it would require a very strange series of circumstances to actually achieve.