PDA

View Full Version : Raven guard and corax stuff?

heinrichvoncarstein
07-09-2008, 11:31
Well i've seen this come up in several threads and i've been wondering what corax did that was so bad? And what was so bad about his genetic experiments and what were the effects of his experiments on the marines/test-subjects?
Also i'm doing a detachment of raven guard besides my salamanders in apoc so what else is there to know about them?

Adra
07-09-2008, 11:41
His experiments resulted in creating mutated marines. Horrid beasts that would just be unleashed upon an enemy. He was sucessful in speeding up the marine making process, but at the cost of it resulting often in abominations. Guilt of raping his marines gene seed in this way drove him a bit mad and he flew off into the warp in a shuttle never to be seen again.

As for your detachment....Raven Guard favour fast strike units and covert scouts. Their ethos is the knife in the dark so scouts and jump units are common. Also they favour lightning claws as a chapter weapon.

heinrichvoncarstein
07-09-2008, 13:47
is there a website that has the full story of corax's experiments?

The Caliban Lion
07-09-2008, 17:14
Not much is know of the experiments, I think you can find all of it in Index Astartes IV. Any other information you may come across if probably written by fans. But I could quote a part from IA IV, if that is allowed here?

Of the Apothecaries' first creations, nothing is known for sure. The Raven Guard's records have been sealed with oaths and sigils of unspeakable power and none of the Chapter, or its successors, will speak more of those blighted days. Accounts culled from other sources are few and far between as the Raven Guard shunned the other Legions at this time, preferring to fight alone and unseen. One apocryphal tale is told by the Rune Priests of the Space Wolves, the so-called 'Saga of the Weregeld', which tells of ferocious monsters, drooling and almost insane with bloodlust, herded into combat by the battle brothers of the Raven Guard. Perhaps the Space Wolves' experiences with the curse of the Wulfen made them more sympathetic to the Raven Guard's plight as there is no record of them reporting the use of such forbidden technology. Barely one in ten of these abominations could even hold a bolt gun and yet amongst these there might be one in a hundred whose genetic structure was stable enough to develop into a fully-fledged Space Marine.

But that's just a part of it, there is more to be found in the IA article.

Dvil
08-09-2008, 10:24
Guilt of raping his marines gene seed in this way drove him a bit mad and he flew off into the warp in a shuttle never to be seen again.

Really? I was under the impression that he was going emo in the Tower of the Raven on Deliverance.

Ubermensch Commander
08-09-2008, 15:08
Really? I was under the impression that he was going emo in the Tower of the Raven on Deliverance.

Nah, Corax was actually awesome. When faced with the decimation of his Legion after the Dropsite Massacres, Corax searched desperately for a way to get his forces back into the fight. So he turned to forbidden gene knowledge to rebuild his Legion. The price he paid, however, was to create gibbering monstrosities, twisted parodies of battle brothers. It also damaged the Ravenguard's geneseed. But it did allow Corax to rebuild his forces and get back in the fight. After the Heresy, Corax personally adminstered the Emperor's Mercy(translation: Killed them all himself) to the abominations that he was responsible for. He then locked himself in the his fortress for days on end, had a vision, quoted Mr. Poe, and flew off to Emperor knows where. Not really an emo thing to delve into forbidden lore and then personally cleanup the mess you made of your forces.