PDA

View Full Version : Terran Regiments?

Allen
08-09-2008, 07:37
In the Horus Heresy books there are a lot of Imperial Army regiments raised on Terra: the Byzant Janissaires attached to the Warmaster fleet, the whole ill-fated Expedition on Nurth in the "Legion" book...

In the "modern" WH40K fluff there are regiments of the Guard raised on Terra? I'm tempted to write some short fluff pieces about the newly reconstituited Lucifer Black regiments and maybe converting them too...

DapperAnarchist
08-09-2008, 07:47
I kinda doubt it... In HH days, Terra was just a Hive World and the Capital. Now, its a holy world... That might make a difference.

Sai-Lauren
08-09-2008, 08:12
One of the chaos codices had some chaos lord defeating a Terran regiment, and going on about them being clerks and scribes. I think he was being derogatory towards them, rathe rthan them actually being made up of scribes etc.

IMO, Terra almost certainly has guard regiments, which I would say would be very well equipped, well trained, and fanatically loyal. They would be deployed to warzones so they can gain combat experience, but then returned back to Terra for defensive purposes, and the next regiment sent out.

And even if Terra is the seat of the Administratum, the clerks and scribes still need people to feed them, clean the offices and roads, repair things and so on - there's a huge civilian population available to recruit from.

DarkMatter2
08-09-2008, 08:47
I would think Earth created lots and lots of regiments just as a population outlet.

Idaan
08-09-2008, 09:23
In 3.5E Chaos Codex the Chaos Lord Perilictor defeats an armoured (IIRC?) force from the Terran Praefects regiment on his road to Daemon Prince status. That's as far as canon goes, but the (non-canon) Macharian Crusade campaign-book from BoLS mentions Byzant Janissaries and Merican Fusiliers alot, implying that they served in Macharius' personal army.

I'd guess that the original Terran regiments from the HH era no longer hail from Terra itself, but were probably granted Right of Conquest somewhere along the way and started their own worlds.

Eetion
08-09-2008, 09:30
I dont why the Lucifer Blacks couldnt be reformed... Its just a selective area of recruitment, say from one particular area of Terra.

Killgore
08-09-2008, 10:50
I cant see why there wouldnt be Terran regiments

elite Guard for certain provinces for the capital of Humanity, special pure bred fighting men with lines stretching back 10,000 years

if the high lords of terra need a job done why not send out part of your special private guard regiment?

Urza
08-09-2008, 11:52
I thought that the Geno 5-2 Chiliad from "Legion" were an awesome IG Army.

Its a shame they were wiped out to a man, with the exception of the few who became agents of the Alpha Legion...

Allen
08-09-2008, 12:18
By the way, a lot of the regiments featured in the "Legion" book are qualified by a certain geographical origin: for example, the Byzant Janizars of the Warmaster expedition were founded in the Byzantium arcology.

The Outremar of the 670th expedition on Nurth fought under the Samarcanda banner, the Zanzibari Hort under the Zanzibar one. The Torrent soldiers came from an asiatic Hive-City.

The Lucifer Blacks are described as of "ischian heritage" or something along that lines. I really doubt that Abnett used "ischian" to link that regiment to the italian island of Ischia...any clue of what kind of geographical reference is that?

PondaNagura
08-09-2008, 14:43
not sure really. if you google 'lucifer black' there are a quite a few hits with that name, which means it's probably another borrowed title of sorts.

i'm sure there are still some guard from terra, though i'd imagine them to be more ceremonial, or be loyal to particular high lords, or other such terran dignitaries.

then again terra guard have to be either really tough to enforce imperial regime on the homeworld and enforce proper conduct amongst pilgrims. otherwise they might be more lenient in that, who attacks terra?

also remember that in the 30k's, terra had been reunified, and these tribes/regions names still had some identifiable merit to them. terra has changed A LOT since then. it's a heaving massive hiveworld, where any of the older features as we'd identify with would be long gone.

Brother Siccarius
08-09-2008, 15:50
In the Horus Heresy books there are a lot of Imperial Army regiments raised on Terra: the Byzant Janissaires attached to the Warmaster fleet, the whole ill-fated Expedition on Nurth in the "Legion" book...

In the "modern" WH40K fluff there are regiments of the Guard raised on Terra? I'm tempted to write some short fluff pieces about the newly reconstituited Lucifer Black regiments and maybe converting them too...

Sure, but after the Heresy I'm willing to bet that the majority of them either protect the space around the Sol System or work for one of the many, many, imperial organizations.

I'm more than willing to bet that some more crazed individuals in the Ecclisiarchy might back some powerful redemptionist armies originating from terra. All under the table of course.

ChaosBeast
08-09-2008, 16:35
well the macharian crusade booklet mentions the byzant janissares and the Merican Fusilliers. is this info entirely fan-made or is there a canon reference to those two regiments fighting in the macharian crusade

Idaan
08-09-2008, 19:38
They weren't even invented back when Macharian Crusade fluff was written, so I guess it's only fanon. But a damn good one I have to admit.

Let's hope Guard fluff gets expanded in the next codex because now it centers around rather uninmpressive Battle of Tyrok Fields, rather than awesome Macharian Crusade.

MrBigMr
08-09-2008, 19:50
I remember GW site mentioning the a Terran Regiment under Medusa V.

Cadian 122nd
09-09-2008, 03:11
From what I have heard the Merican Fusiliers (mentioned in the BoLS crusade book), hail from the upscale Merican hives on Terra, they stress small unit tactics, teamwork, and are equiped with the best weapons afforded to the Imperial Guard. Thier founding can be traced back to the unification wars on Terra 10,000 years ago when they were one of the first factions to side with the Emperor.

I read somewhere else, actualy on warseer, that the Merican hives on Terra are located in the planets northern hemisphere, due west of the Emperor's palace (Nottingham). And as a matter of fact, it seems the "A" was dropped sometime over the course of history. Reducing "American", to simply: "Merican".

Brother Siccarius
09-09-2008, 06:03
From what I have heard the Merican Fusiliers (mentioned in the BoLS crusade book), hail from the upscale Merican hives on Terra, they stress small unit tactics, teamwork, and are equiped with the best weapons afforded to the Imperial Guard. Thier founding can be traced back to the unification wars on Terra 10,000 years ago when they were one of the first factions to side with the Emperor.

I read somewhere else, actualy on warseer, that the Merican hives on Terra are located in the planets northern hemisphere, due west of the Emperor's palace (Nottingham). And as a matter of fact, it seems the "A" was dropped sometime over the course of history. Reducing "American", to simply: "Merican".

Merica was mentioned in cannon with the Space Wolves novel "Wolfblade". However, the BoLS books are not cannon, though probably better than the actual thing, and certainly quite amazingly well done and a showing of what fans can do when they organize well.

Though, that entirely brings the objectivity of "cannon" to the fore. Cannon is what you make of it, just don't try to make of it anything other than what it is originally (Ie. Don't try to make others make of it what you make of it)*.

*In easier to understand words, don't try to push what's cannon to you on others.

clanfield
09-09-2008, 07:21
1st terran armourd the emporers shield an old fluff from the first armourd list and horus herasay game fought along side the white scars on terra and still about in the 41st

TheBigBadWolf
09-09-2008, 11:24
The Imperial Fists SM chapter recruit from Terra as it is considered "their" homeworld, along with recruiting from other worlds.

Captain Lysander was recruited there.

I dont think any IG regiments would be raised from terra, as said it is a holy world, and probably exempt from IG tithes.

It most likely just has an extremely large PDF, along with its fleet of battleships permenantly stationed there.

Leftenant Gashrog
09-09-2008, 12:25
I dont think any IG regiments would be raised from terra, as said it is a holy world, and probably exempt from IG tithes.

Exemption from tithes doesnt preclude regiments being raised ~ the domain of Ultramar is exempt from manpower tithes yet still provides the IG with regiments out of a sense of duty.

Wolflord Havoc
09-09-2008, 12:38
Might have been mentioned already but in the Bell of Lost souls sites rather excellent Macharius Crusade Campaign it mentions 2 Elite 'House Hold' Regiments - these represent some of the very best Imperial Guard Rgts.

Download it here.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/07/play-aid-macharian-crusade.html

imperial_scholar
09-09-2008, 14:33
I think Terra would have regiments to maintain a standing guard. PDF if you will.
But I don't think they'd be too inclined to send them out and weaken terra's position.

MrBigMr
09-09-2008, 16:14
Doesn't Terra have like population of 500 billion people? I somehow refuce to think every single one of those people are just grumpy old scribes or priests. Like anywhere else in the world, you have your average, 9-to-5 people who after a hard day at the office go home to the missus and kids.

So, there's plenty of room for your warriors as well. And where else would you find the most fanatical warriors in the galaxy than from the source of all mankind, at the doorstep of the Emperor's palace. Surely there's more than enough rif raf to send out to carry the Emperor's light into the dark corners of the galaxy, and keep the population down a notch. The Romans didn't feel so bad about sending their citizens out of their city to fight wars.

I'm reading Crossfire at the moment and I think it gives a nice piction of a religious center. Lots of political powergaming and all. How can there not be, when the Imperium is formed of so many factions (Ecclesiarchy, Navis Nobilite, Navy, Guard, SM, Admech, etc. etc.) which all look after their own interest (in His name, of course). So just because Terra houses the seat of power withing the Imperium, does not mean that it's automaticly somesort of a unified, enlightened center in the dark universe. It is the place where all those factions are pitted together and surely are at each other's throats all the time. Each faction spies on the other and covers their own asses.

Can you give me one faction that's on top of all the rest? Ecclesiarchy might run things, but they're mainly the pencil pushers and preachers, who would be nothing without someone providing them with the resources to throw around and the masses to lend them their ears. Admech makes many things, but they need resources from other worlds. Guard won't be going anywhere without the Navy. Navy needs docks, munitions, personnel and Navigators. Navis Nobilite enjoy the fact that they have a monopoly on interstellar travel withing the Imperium.

On a small farming colony it's easy for the governing elements to dominate the people and run things just like they see fit, spreading the wealth among all that need them. But when you have a big world with many factions wanting to share the pie... You can't bow into one direction without mooning into another.

Or something like that.