PDA

View Full Version : Charge reaction for stupid creatures

sds661
08-09-2008, 08:39
If a creature has failed its stupidity test, and the effects of stupidity last until its next turn, does this in any way limit its possible charge responses in the opponents turn?

Can it choose to flee?

Does it have the option to stand and shoot?

Lord of Skulls
08-09-2008, 09:55
As far as I know, creatures that have failed their Stupidity tests are Immune to Psychology, and so would not be able to flee as a charge reaction.

Not sure about shooting though.

DeathlessDraich
08-09-2008, 09:57
They cannot stand and shoot but can flee - I seem to remember an FAQ about the flee reaction somewhere.

sds661
08-09-2008, 14:16
Many thanks! More conflicting advice!!

I think you will agree that Lord of Skulls makes a good point regarding fleeing, DD. Of course this does not mean that there hasn't been a FAQ with a contrary position. Certainly I don't think they should get to stand and shoot, but can't see anywhere in the rules which specifically denies it. Perhaps, as you say, this has been FAQed.

So, no flee, no shoot. That's how I'll play it unless someone says otherwise.

Faustburg
08-09-2008, 16:25
I can't remember any FAQ allowing them to flee, the rules clearly state they "benefit" from ItP if they fail their stupidity test, and if further states that they can't shoot "that turn", which really is best taken as the time period from the failed stupidity test until they test again, rather than "turn#1-6" as that would make it a strange benefit going second.

No flee, no stand and shoot is how I'd play it as well.

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 11:13
The FAQ was from an army book and contained the phrase 'willingly do so' IIRC.
Sorry, I should have checked first before commenting.
It could well be that the FAQ referred to something else.

sds661 - Yes, Lord of Skulls explanation is very acceptable.

Atrahasis
09-09-2008, 11:19
further states that they can't shoot "that turn", which really is best taken as the time period from the failed stupidity test until they test again, Turn always means "player turn" unless otherwise stated, so stupid troops have no restriction on firing in the opponent's turn.

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 11:35
Not in this case - "these rules apply until the start of the creatures turn"

Atrahasis
09-09-2008, 11:43
The rules might well apply, but the specific conditions for each subsection must still be met.

For example, the rules for stumbling into another friendly unit specifically say that they apply until the end of the movement phase. While the general effects of stupidity apply until the next test is passed, the two units would still be able to move later in the turn.

EvC
09-09-2008, 11:49
Bonus question: can a unit that has failed stupidity declare a charge through a magic spell/ item (E.g. Van Hels/ Unseen Lurker/ Huanchi)?

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 11:54
"Voluntarily", no.

but they may be forced to do so - e.g. Titillating Delusions - unchanged I've been told in the new WOC.

Danse macabre and Unseen lurker - probably not since "must" move is not present.

T10
09-09-2008, 13:37
Bonus question: can a unit that has failed stupidity declare a charge through a magic spell/ item (E.g. Van Hels/ Unseen Lurker/ Huanchi)?

I would assume that the Stupid unit is as eligible to charge by magical means as is a unit that has rallied that same turn.

-T10

Faustburg
09-09-2008, 15:00
Turn always means "player turn" unless otherwise stated, so stupid troops have no restriction on firing in the opponent's turn.

I was thinking so at first too, but....Does it, really?

I know the 5th edition 40K rules states that "turn" means "player turn" unless stated otherwise, but is this in the latest Warhammer rules as well?

(I don't have a rule book in front of me, but I can't seem to remember anything like that being in there...)

EvC
09-09-2008, 16:25
I would assume that the Stupid unit is as eligible to charge by magical means as is a unit that has rallied that same turn.

Or perhaps even a unit that arrives back on the table edge after pursuing off the table (Bonus bonus: or after they've "charged off the table" which is apparently possible according to Gav Thorpe's WD article on Raids)... I would say no, however, as T10 states.