PDA

View Full Version : Flyers charging

sds661
08-09-2008, 07:48
Flyer declares charge over intervening troops into target behind. Target flees out of range. Can flyer choose to redirect into the closer unit, or is he considered to have already overflown them?

DeathlessDraich
08-09-2008, 08:29
Both, since the rules use the word "can" fly over etc.

The Red Scourge
08-09-2008, 08:43
Flyer declares charge at target A.

Target A declares Flee Reaction.

Flyer declares charge at target B.

Target B declares charge reaction.

- end of charge declarations. Go to move chargers :)

Tarax
08-09-2008, 12:40
This is a difficult situation. Normally chargers move on the ground and will be stopped by anything in its way.

A flyer can move over intervening troops and scenery towards the enemy, as long as it can see them.

I'm inclined to say that the flyers can not charge the intervening troops, though they can charge units behind their intended target.
One reason I would state is that you have to see whether or not you catch the fleeing unit.

sds661
08-09-2008, 13:13
Thanks Tarax and DD for your conflicting suggestions!

My feeling is with Tarax here, but it is only a feeling. The rules are specific that in a pursuit, the flyer has the choice of whether to run into fresh enemy, or pursue beyond them. However this is not a pursuit, it is attempting to complete a charge against a fleeing enemy who began their flee from behind the potential fresh enemy. A similar but not identical situation, I think you will agree DD? You may well be right DD, but try harder to convince me!

Atrahasis
08-09-2008, 13:42
I'm of the opinion that flyers cannot declare EitW unless their 20" move would landthem on top of or in base contact with fresh enemy - EitW only occurs if the chargers find their charge path blocked by a new enemy, and flyers cannot have their charge blocked except in this way.

T10
08-09-2008, 14:33
It really depends on wether you look at "in the way" as the enemy being a hindrance (i.e. no way around - or over) or an opportunity (i.e. in the path of the chargers).

Around here we assume that it's a matter of opportunity. If the chargers decline the opportunity to select a different target then they are stuck with attempting to reach the target unit (and suffer a failed charge as appropriate).

-T10

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 10:27
Thanks Tarax and DD for your conflicting suggestions!

My feeling is with Tarax here, but it is only a feeling. The rules are specific that in a pursuit, the flyer has the choice of whether to run into fresh enemy, or pursue beyond them. However this is not a pursuit, it is attempting to complete a charge against a fleeing enemy who began their flee from behind the potential fresh enemy. A similar but not identical situation, I think you will agree DD? You may well be right DD, but try harder to convince me!

1) No, it is not just for pursuits that the word "can" is used. It is also used for charging.
pg 68 "*can* otherewise fly over ... that would stop the charge"

i.e. flyers have 3 choices when moving chargers (flyers) with intervening terrain or units - 1) fly over 2) go around 3) EITW for enemy units

2) The EITW option is sometimes not easy to resolve like all EITW

3) Tarax's view that flyers can only fly over units it can see (presumably at the start of the charge) is unsupported by the rules.

4) There is another common interpretation insisted on by some players (which I do not suscribe to):
That flyers can only move in a straight line when charging. - taken from 1 statement in the Flyers Chap.

This has to be reconciled with A) the rules on pg 21 which state that chargers "can wheel" plus B) the FAQ on tactical wheeling.

Atrahasis
09-09-2008, 10:36
Flyers never wheel, DD.

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 11:03
Well, we've argued this before and I really shouldn't have brought it up.

Flyers are *not compelled* to move in a straight line. They *can* wheel and/or pivot if they want to and they can when charging.

Atrahasis
09-09-2008, 11:12
Single models and skirmishers never wheel.

The rules for Flying Charges specifically say that a charging flyer moves "straight towards" the target of the charge. How that can include any detours is something you'll have to explain.