PDA

View Full Version : How to beat Daemons with Mortals

Brother xavier
09-09-2008, 10:41
I was wondering how to take on Daemons with Chaos Mortals. There is a tournament next weekend, so I wont be able to wait for the new rules.

I'm taking:
Lvl 4 Tzeentch Ex. Sorc w Eye, on Daemonic Mount
Lvl2 Tz Sorc w scroll
Lvl2 Slaanesh Sorc w familiar, steed
Sla BSB w Banner of the Gods, on steed, shield

18 Sla Warriors, Shields, Full Comm
12 Chosen Sla Warriors, Shields, Haldberds, Full Comm
20 Marauders, Shields, LA, Full Comm
2x 5 Warhounds

5 Chosen Sla Knights, Full Comm, Warbanner
5 Horsemen, Flails, Throwing Axes, Musician
Chariot, no mark

2250pts

A previous tournament I entered I versed a Daemon army with flamers, a LoC, a unit of Horrors, 2x Flesh Hounds, a unit of bloodletters, furies, fiends of slaanesh

I'm also not sure what to do against the dreaded Bloodthirster.

I figure Lore of Light, and maybe fire or death for the sla sorc.

Valaraukar
09-09-2008, 11:01
Have you considered the hellcannon at all? All of the daemons are immune to psychology so will bear the full brunt of its firepower, hell that on it's own could net you the dreaded bloodthirster.

Harwammer
09-09-2008, 11:25
how does daemonic aura and daemonic attacks work for the hell cannon? The rules reference Hordes of Chaos, but that book doesn't exist anymore.

Is it best to just treat these things as the daemon prince is done, i.e. as having magical attacks and 5+ ward save?

Lijacote
09-09-2008, 13:43
how does daemonic aura and daemonic attacks work for the hell cannon? The rules reference Hordes of Chaos, but that book doesn't exist anymore.

Is it best to just treat these things as the daemon prince is done, i.e. as having magical attacks and 5+ ward save?

The Hellcannon was never in the Hordes of Chaos book. If you're using the get-you-by-list and it references Hordes of Chaos, then follow the rules given in Hordes of Chaos.

I don't think you should try to argue your way into the Hellcannon having a real ward until the new book is here.

Daemons already have magical attacks in HoC.

The book still exists.

OldMaster
09-09-2008, 14:24
I was wondering how to take on Daemons with Chaos Mortals. There is a tournament next weekend, so I wont be able to wait for the new rules.

I'm taking:
Lvl 4 Tzeentch Ex. Sorc w Eye, on Daemonic Mount
Lvl2 Tz Sorc w scroll
Lvl2 Slaanesh Sorc w familiar, steed
Sla BSB w Banner of the Gods, on steed, shield

18 Sla Warriors, Shields, Full Comm
12 Chosen Sla Warriors, Shields, Haldberds, Full Comm
20 Marauders, Shields, LA, Full Comm
2x 5 Warhounds

5 Chosen Sla Knights, Full Comm, Warbanner
5 Horsemen, Flails, Throwing Axes, Musician
Chariot, no mark

2250pts

A previous tournament I entered I versed a Daemon army with flamers, a LoC, a unit of Horrors, 2x Flesh Hounds, a unit of bloodletters, furies, fiends of slaanesh

I'm also not sure what to do against the dreaded Bloodthirster.

I figure Lore of Light, and maybe fire or death for the sla sorc.

Slaanesh? Why waste points on ItP alone when you can give them frenzy? Go Khornate, Deamons are all ItP, so can't bait effectively and that extra attack should really help.
And you get dispell dice too, if you use the HoC book.

DeathlessDraich
09-09-2008, 14:45
On a side note:
It would be interesting to see Daemonic Tzeentch successfully casting Glean magic against Mortal Tzeentch WOC.

Brother xavier
10-09-2008, 02:21
Unfortunately I can't change the list, and I have to use the GYB list as the Hordes book is illegal.

Have you considered the hellcannon at all? All of the daemons are immune to psychology so will bear the full brunt of its firepower, hell that on it's own could net you the dreaded bloodthirster.

Unfortunately I don't have the model, but there is one for sale for $NZD50, is it worth it?

Slaanesh? Why waste points on ItP alone when you can give them frenzy? Go Khornate, Deamons are all ItP, so can't bait effectively and that extra attack should really help.
And you get dispell dice too, if you use the HoC book.

I like control. I will be at a tournament, so there is going to be elves, skaven etc there, my whole army would be led around like show ponies.

On a side note:
It would be interesting to see Daemonic Tzeentch successfully casting Glean magic against Mortal Tzeentch WOC.

That happen when I versed the Daemon army above, he kept getting my awsome spell, it was such a pain. But I had plenty of dispel dice.

Valaraukar
10-09-2008, 07:30
Have you seen its rules? It's filth and I only had a quick look but doesn't seem like you have used any rare slots so the fact it takes two should not be a problem. It basically fires like a stone thrower but with re-rollable scatter and uses a small template then anything under it has to flee if it can or if ITP takes a S10 hit causing D6 wounds. Then place the larger template on the same spot and anything touched even partially takes a terror test.

So against non-daemons or VC causes mass fleeage and against them hits like a tonne of bricks. It can go haywire and start munching whatever closest but in my experience doesn't happen often and with correct maneuvering can be deadly in that effect too. It has a breath weapon style S6 attack too which it can use in combat, is T7 with 6 wounds and 4 attacks and causes terror with 3 Chaos Dwarf crew so is hard as hell to kill as well.

Urgat
10-09-2008, 08:10
I heard it was actually more effective to just send it in melee... opinion? :p

Valaraukar
10-09-2008, 08:19
Depends on the enemy really against non elite armies and non ITP armies it's great to advance as it can still spew ichor (S6 flame template) causes terror and can chew up stuff without alot of static CR in combat. Against more elite armies I prefer to make them all auto flee then catch them out of position with my faster units like hounds and horsemen or even knights. Finally against ITP armies in combat it's going to get held up for a few rounds and quite possibly lose it's crew so it becomes uncontrollable so I prefer those S10 templates which deal D6 wounds (bye-bye vampire general + unit etc.).

Brother xavier
11-09-2008, 02:36
damn, I wish I could change my list.

Any idea on a conversion? being a uni student i have almost no disposible income.

Valaraukar
11-09-2008, 20:07
Ermmm, you could try a toilet roll a bunch of cogs/gears and alot of putty but it's a pretty complicated model tbh so not being the best modeller in the world wouldn't really have a clue where to start. If you do decide to bite the bullet and get one remember price increase happens on 29th september so will noyl get worse after that. 50 dollars looks like it works out at about 20 which isn't bad depends if you think you could make a good job of a conversion for much less in components?