PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Dark Elves mounted

VVar
09-09-2008, 23:54
Beginner to WHFB here, played a total of 6 games so far and it's a blast. I've been constantly making and revising lists and trying to make a competitive all or mostly mounted list, as those are the models I most enjoy and currently own.

I really wanted to fit Ring of Hotek in here, but it seems as though it's better in a list containing no magic at all, I keep imagining ways in which it would hinder my own spell casting and that's no good :rolleyes:

Dreadlord-140
+black dragon
+crimson death
+armor of darkness
+pendant of khaeleth
Total-545

Sorceress-100
+dark steed
+focus familiar
Total-137

Sorceress-100
+dark steed
+tome of furion
+dispell scroll
Total-152

Cold One Knights x5-135

Cold One Knights x5-135

Cold One Chariot-100

Dark Riders x5-85
+crossbows
+musician
Total-117

Dark Riders x5-85
+crossbows
+musician
Total-117

Dark Riders x5-85
+crossbows
+musician
Total-117

Hydra-175

Hydra-175

Shades x10-160
+great weapons
Total-180

Harpies x5-55

Harpies x5-55

Harpies x5-55

Strategy is pretty simple...everything moves fast, so the whole army will be deployed very spread out; goal is to get charges from both sides of the board while moving a couple units such as dark riders up the center to soften things up and eventually get flank charges.

Dreadlord on dragon will take one of the flanks and do what combat dragon/characters do...start at one end of the board and end at the other, hopefully before getting shot up by war machines. I may even sit him behind terrain until turn two, and on the turn my harpies charge war machines move him 20" forward so he can get a charge on turn three, without ever being exposed to heavy artillery(if I play harpies correctly that is...). With pendant of khaeleth and crimson death, he will be able to consistently put out quite a bit of damage, my worry is just him getting swamped.

Sorc's will move wherever needed; I gave one of them tome of furion so I have 5 total spells, I REALLY want to get Word of Pain as often as I can as it can be used on shooty units to make them BS1, helping to protect my cav from being blown to bits before they reach combat. In addition, it's very nice to cast on big baddies . With the help of familiar, the first sorc can hide and let off offensive spells while remaining relatively safe. I decided to just screw the dispell scrolls completely...I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not...if people think I should take them adjustments can be made.

Shades will sit somewhere in terrain and shoot until they are able to assist with charges etc. Skirmishers+light cover is a -2 to hit, so they shouldn't be exceptionally vulnerable to shooting (although lack of armor save and low T is bad :/). What I'm unsure of is the number I took, 10. I like taking units in groups of 5 or 7, but in this case I only had one special choice left and had to combine.

Harpies are for three things; if there are war machines, they immediately fly straight at them and tie them up turn two (what I'm worried about is them getting shot down on turn one by regular ranged troops and magic...they are extremely easy to kill and panic without fail ). If there are casters, they will hunt. Later on they can assist charges. I'm not sure if taking three units is going overboard, but the things are so damn cheap, and flying+2 attacks seems great for killing war machine crews.

Dark Riders I've heard are one of the best fast cav in the game, so I took what I thought to be a good amount without putting all my eggs in one basket. Super fast movement and good shooting has done me well in my first few games. I finally learned how to bait and redirect, so that is their primary goal the first portion of the game until they are needed for flank charges and support.

CoK are basic cav in the list...I didn't give those units any upgrades. They hit hard enough on the charge at S6, and there are enough appealing targets on the board that at least one should get into combat without being obliterated.

I threw in the Cold One Chariot because it seems to have excellent stats for the points and I would like to model a chariot with cold ones ^^. I originally had 3 units of CoK and no chariot, but in the few games I played it seemed as though the blocks of cav were hindering my movement. The much smaller frontage of the chariot should assist a bit while still providing very good offensive power. From what I've heard, dark elves need to get charges off and punch big holes quickly in order to win with combat oriented armies, and so far this seems to be the case; the chariot on paper looks to do just that, but I have yet to create a model or use it in a game.

I took two hydras because RBT's don't really fit into the list, and I also love the hydra models. I didn't play "old" dark elves, as this is my first fantasy army, but looking at the original stats they seem to have been given a very substantial buff. I'd like to take advantage of this. Will tournaments rate me down for taking two of the same rare?

That's about it...any advice is much appreciated.

Makarion
10-09-2008, 02:05
It looks like an excellent list to me - I like it a lot.

Without changing anything major, I would be tempted to drop one unit of harpies and give an extra level to both of your sorceresses. Also, since your fast cavalry is likely rarely in melee, you could exchange the Focus Familiar with the Darkstar Cloak.

Do you feel it would be beneficial to exchange one of your CoK units for an extra chariot, and use the leftover points to add an extra knight and musician to the existing unit?

Jwolf
10-09-2008, 02:08
First, you should not post the cost for individual items, as that is a violation of board rules and can get you axed in the head.

Second, consider a 10 block of COK, as they can do a lot of damage on the charge and potentially break their target with the fear thing. Take a champion and give him the ring of hotek, and suddenly you've got a very nasty unit that is unlikely to get a lot of high value magic thrown at it. Yes, they can still get shot up, but they can certainly get a charge by turn 3, at the latest, and opponent missiles should have their hands full with the dragon and harpies.

Third, Hydra are amazingly good, much tougher than the same rare points would buy in a lot of armies.

Fourth, consider the Cauldron of Blood. Those are really nice buffing devices that can't be stopped. An extra attack for every model in a COK unit that is charging pretty much guarantees success against almost any unit without high strength ASF.

VVar
10-09-2008, 15:25
First, you should not post the cost for individual items, as that is a violation of board rules and can get you axed in the head.

Second, consider a 10 block of COK, as they can do a lot of damage on the charge and potentially break their target with the fear thing. Take a champion and give him the ring of hotek, and suddenly you've got a very nasty unit that is unlikely to get a lot of high value magic thrown at it. Yes, they can still get shot up, but they can certainly get a charge by turn 3, at the latest, and opponent missiles should have their hands full with the dragon and harpies.

Third, Hydra are amazingly good, much tougher than the same rare points would buy in a lot of armies.

Fourth, consider the Cauldron of Blood. Those are really nice buffing devices that can't be stopped. An extra attack for every model in a COK unit that is charging pretty much guarantees success against almost any unit without high strength ASF.

1) Thanks much for the heads up! I played a ton of 40k a while back but keep forgetting about the copyright rules

2) I was considering that, but nearly everyone recommends maximum unit of 5....is there more reasoning here?

3) That's why I take two :evilgrin:

4) I'll take another look at that

Makarion
10-09-2008, 15:48
I agree that a unit of 10 CoK is excessive - it's nice to autobreak with fear, but you can get the same effect with two units of 5, which are a lot more flexible in how they operate.

As for the Cauldron: I agree that it would add yet more punch to the army, but it's rather static, whereas your army is not. How will you defend it from, say, miners or scorpions?

VVar
10-09-2008, 16:41
It looks like an excellent list to me - I like it a lot.

Without changing anything major, I would be tempted to drop one unit of harpies and give an extra level to both of your sorceresses. Also, since your fast cavalry is likely rarely in melee, you could exchange the Focus Familiar with the Darkstar Cloak.

Do you feel it would be beneficial to exchange one of your CoK units for an extra chariot, and use the leftover points to add an extra knight and musician to the existing unit?

I totally forgot to ugrade them to level 2's! I always do it and had planned on it, but slipped my mind. The only time I take lvl 1's is for scroll caddies. Thank you for pointing this out.

As far as the focus familiar, I intended it to be more of a range device than anything else, I REALLY want to be able to get Word of Pain and/or Chillwind off on shooting units, without sticking my sorc in a spot where they could fire back on her. However, extra power dice is appealing so I will play test with both and see which works better with this list.

As for chariot...I've never actually played with them and as a result I'm unsure of how well they'd do without more support...advice on using chariots is much needed in my case :), I'm a complete newbie. Did I read the rules correctly in that they have "scythed" wheels and therefore have +1 to their impact hits?

VVar
10-09-2008, 16:43
I agree that a unit of 10 CoK is excessive - it's nice to autobreak with fear, but you can get the same effect with two units of 5, which are a lot more flexible in how they operate.

As for the Cauldron: I agree that it would add yet more punch to the army, but it's rather static, whereas your army is not. How will you defend it from, say, miners or scorpions?

I didn't take the Cauldron for this reason. It's a great suggestion, but I think it's place is in a much slower block and infantry geared army that can protect it. In my list, it would likely be left totally alone on turn 2, leaving units behind to defend it wouldn't be worth the extra punch it helps deliver