PDA

View Full Version : Character traits affecting unit

Once Bitten
10-09-2008, 15:58
I read some tactics on another board that seem cool, but that also assume that a character's traits automatically affect the entire unit he is with. Specifically, in a HE army, they suggest:

1) putting Caradryan in a unit of White Lions because that would cause the WL unit to cause fear and get MR(3) (nobody implied that the unit would also get his 4+ ward save);

and 2) putting Korhil into a unit of Phoenix Guards, as that would allow the entire unit to be stubborn and have the benefit of the 'woodsmen' special rule.

It makes sense to me that some traits would affect the entire unit, such as Caradryan's fear-causing (as enemies would fear him - regardless of whether or not they fear the rest of the unit), or Korhil's stubbornness (as the whole unit could benefit from his stubborn leadership).

However, it doesn't make intuitive sense to me that the Caradryan's MR(3) or Korhil's 'woodsmen' ability would automatically affect the entire unit.

Any help from you more experienced players? Thanks!

Bac5665
10-09-2008, 16:52
I don't have the BRB in front of me, but there is a page, in the character section that covers most of these questions.

I do know, though, that:

1) the WLs don't each cause fear, but Caradryan still does. So enemy units need a fear check to charge the WLs, but the WL will never autowin, since Caradryan is only US1 and will never outnumber. I don't think he confers his magic resistance, but I can remember for sure.

2) Again, its not that the entire unit becomes stubborn, but Korhil remains stubborn, and the unit uses his Ld. If the unit looses combat by 3, they have their Ld reduced to 5, but still use Korhil's Ld, since he is stubborn and leads the unit.

narrativium
10-09-2008, 17:03
Caradryan's fear-causing doesn't transfer to the unit. If a unit has to take a Break test, when you count fear-causing enemy models (for outnumbering purposes), you'd only count him.

Stubborn does transfer to the unit, as the rules state the unit can use the character's Leadership and that Ld is Stubborn.

Magic Resistance transfers; I'm not sure about 'woodsmen'.

Malorian
10-09-2008, 17:12
If the opponent wishes to charge a unit with Caradryan in such a way that they would touch him then they have to test for charging a fear causing unit. If they were to charge the same unit in the rear (thus avoiding him) then they wouldn't have to test.

TheWarSmith
10-09-2008, 17:22
magic resistance DEFINITELY passes to the unit. It's specifically stated.

Fear does not pass to the unit. If that unit charged, the receiver would still need to test, but that would really only force them to hit on 6s against the 1 fear causing character.

If woodsmen is a custom special rule of a character, I would doubt it would transfer unless it specifically says so.

I don't recall offhand about stubborn.

Gazak Blacktoof
11-09-2008, 00:39
For the answer to the fear question have a look at page 78 in the BRB. That page also covers stubborn.

Magic resistance is dealt with on page 95.

The woodsmen rule (referenced in Korhil's rules but given in full only in the white lion section p. 58- high elf book) only specify that white lions and any charcters that join them can move through woods without penalty.

Korhil can only benefit from this rule if he is by himself (he'd ignore movement penalties anyway) or if he is with a unit of white lions (their rule covers him anyway), lastly two characters may not form a unit together so Korhil can't pass the ability on to a character without being part of a unit of white lions. So as far as I can tell Korhil only has the rule for fluff reasons and it provides no actual benefit.

Once Bitten
11-09-2008, 00:50
Excellent! Thank you all very much!!!

Tarax
11-09-2008, 06:51
Apart from being completely unfluffy, in the HE book these characters are not champion-upgrades for those units, like in the DE book, which IMHO should have been.