PDA

View Full Version : Death Company Terminators?

Overt_Spy
11-09-2008, 01:17
So I was wondering, can there be members of the Death Company who are still wearing Terminator armor? I assume Terminators can still fall victim of the black rage, but if they do, do they retain their armour or do they get put back in normal power armor? I could see that, since terminator armour is rare, and you probably wouldn't want to allow suicidal madmen to wear them since you're pretty much guaranteeing that they'll be destroyed.

I ask because I was planning on painting a unit of CC based termies in my BA army to look like members of the Death Company. They'll count as normal termies in all respect, but will just have an alternate colour scheme.

PondaNagura
11-09-2008, 02:32
back in chapter approved, the first one in 3rd ed, there was a death company list for fielding an entire army...i think you could have deathcompany termies, it's just that everything costed +25% in points to a unit.

now i believe it's just power armored guys as, yes, TDA isn't exactly expendable resources.

Magos Explorator
11-09-2008, 03:08
I assume Terminators can still fall victim of the black rage, but if they do, do they retain their armour or do they get put back in normal power armor? I could see that, since terminator armour is rare, and you probably wouldn't want to allow suicidal madmen to wear them since you're pretty much guaranteeing that they'll be destroyed.

I think this is what happens.

Inquisitor Engel
11-09-2008, 06:02
Generally, the Black Rage is identified prior to battle, during ritual chanting and such that goes on aboard the Battle Barge, local temple, etc. Space Marines generally don't fight protracted engagements so spontaneous outbreaks are rare, so when they're identified by the Chaplains, they're not wearing their armour.

They're shoved in power armour likely because it's easy to produce, every Inquisitor and his friends have a set. Tactical Dreadnaught Armour is very hard to make and very rare, so I don't think giving it to the guys running at the enemy is generally a good idea.

El Haroldo
11-09-2008, 06:35
My take on it is that 1st company veterans would have been with the chapter long enough to have felt the temptation of the black rage and resisted, and came out the better for it. Hence Terminator troops not suddenly falling to their knees screaming with visions of Horus tearing Sanguinarius limb from limb. They've been there, done that.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-09-2008, 06:41
As far as I know, only Mephiston has resisted the Black Rage, no?

Radium
11-09-2008, 06:59
They're shoved in power armour likely because it's easy to produce, every Inquisitor and his friends have a set. Tactical Dreadnaught Armour is very hard to make and very rare, so I don't think giving it to the guys running at the enemy is generally a good idea.

Then why do Space Marines have Assault Terminators? Or regular Terminators for that matter, power fist are only marginally effective at long range :P.

Anyway, I think it has been said, the chaplains would probably shove the raging guys in cheaper power armour.
But just so they can run faster, terminator armour would slow them down to much...

Inquisitor Engel
11-09-2008, 07:17
Then why do Space Marines have Assault Terminators? Or regular Terminators for that matter, power fist are only marginally effective at long range :P.

Yes, but Assault Terminators don't sacrifice themselves for no good reason, they have common sense and are willing to make a tactical withdrawal when needs must.

Rabid marines? Not so much. ;)

As far as I know, only Mephiston has resisted the Black Rage, no?

Mephiston conquered the Red Thirst, which is the thirst for blood, not inhuman rage. I've always seen it that the Black Rage, if the sufferer survives and it continues uncontrolled, turns into the Red Thirst over time.

Brother Cloten in Bloodquest has the Red Thirst also, and largely seems to conquer it by the end of the third book. He also seems to go into and out of it, which makes it seem like it's not a permanent affliction so much as a lifetime filled with progressively lengthening bouts of madness.