PDA

View Full Version : The Siege of Terra

Helsing
11-09-2008, 02:58
I think that with the advent of the new Chaos, Guard and Space Marine Codexes GW's next summer campaign should be about the Siege of Terra, from Lionsgate to the palace grounds and the deadzones of Mars.This would also mean special character lists for the big 10 and the white scars, imperial fists and blood angels primarchs. This would be an awesome treat for Horus Heresy fans, and would help introduce their next few books. The Battle would go into three stages, Istvaan, Terra and the Re-unification. If anyone disagrees to this marketing idea we would like you input.

Helsing.

Dictator
11-09-2008, 03:01
It is a great idea, and possibly plausible. Given the fact that the year in 40k is currently 40,999 and has been for sometime. I can see why they would want to go back in time. ;)
(Before anyone whines, I know that GW can advance the timeline beyond 40,999 and the game still be ok.)

Iceheart2112
11-09-2008, 03:07
And where, pray tell, would the inquisition, dark eldar, eldar, orks, necrons, tau, and tyranids come in?

imperial_scholar
11-09-2008, 03:59
Its been done

imperial_scholar
11-09-2008, 04:04
I think you should Try This (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/09/warhammer-30000-age-of-heresy-v2.html)

Lord Damocles
11-09-2008, 08:53
What would be the incentive for taking part? We all know who won and exactly how the battle progressed. It'd be a bit like playing out the Battle of Ryan's World - you'd know that the Orks are going to win, so why bother?

Raxmei
11-09-2008, 09:17
And where, pray tell, would the inquisition, dark eldar, eldar, orks, necrons, tau, and tyranids come in?
Also the Imperial Guard and Space Marines. The fighting forces of the Imperium were quite different back then. The Space Marines of the day were equipped a lot like Chaos Space Marines except without the daemonic parts, while the Imperial Army had only the slightest resemblence to the modern Imperial Guard's organization and equipment. Only Chaos, Orks, Eldar and Dark Eldar are still close to what they used to be.

malkavianmadman
12-09-2008, 01:37
What would be the incentive for taking part? We all know who won and exactly how the battle progressed. It'd be a bit like playing out the Battle of Ryan's World - you'd know that the Orks are going to win, so why bother?

Wwell it could be something like the Caverns of time in WoW. somehow abaddon and his cronies have found a way to go back to the seige of terra and are trying to make it that horus wins. Other races then use similar techs to go back to stop them or even mess with the timeline in their own way.

Ubermensch Commander
12-09-2008, 16:32
Wwell it could be something like the Caverns of time in WoW. somehow abaddon and his cronies have found a way to go back to the seige of terra and are trying to make it that horus wins. Other races then use similar techs to go back to stop them or even mess with the timeline in their own way.

Deus Ex Machina to make an improbable scenario slightly less improbable.
Besides you mentioned "WoW" in the same paragraph as Warhammer.
DENIED!:D

Lord Damocles
12-09-2008, 18:43
Ouch. Sounds like a bad episode of Stargate to me...

Besides which, none of the races in 40K have a means of traveling in time (intensionaly at least).

The Anarchist
13-09-2008, 17:39
whilst i would love to see a campigin similar to the on you have described i belive with the existing forces it would be impractical and whilst GW dosnt really care about armes other than Smurfs, they wouldnt be willing to cut out almsot half the exisitng armies.

also there was an gargantuan diorama a few years back at games day, set at the gates of the imperial palace, complete with 6 foot titans.

The Guy
13-09-2008, 18:11

Same reason Lotr players play Lotr? You know The Free Peoples win in the end and the ring gets destroyed, but it doesn't stop people from having a little thing called fun :rolleyes:

Anyway, Imperium always wins the Summer campaign...

RapidKiller
14-09-2008, 03:02

Maby sucked back in time through some sort of warp rift and altering 40k history as we know it? not a completely impossable thing to happen in the universe 40k

Chaplain Muller
14-09-2008, 07:05
It would be an excellent idea for a narrative campaign with rules published in Whte Dwarf, but as a global campaign, it would be difficult to incorporate the other races (barring the eldar) into it.

Sebavin
13-10-2008, 21:48
That is one of the goal of GW is to fill in some of those blank spottes

Inquisitor Engel
14-10-2008, 06:39
Ouch. Sounds like a bad episode of Stargate to me...

Whatever man, SG:Continuum was freaking awesome. :D

Leftenant Gashrog
14-10-2008, 11:30

Individual glory and bragging rights, sure we know what happened at the Emperors Palace and the Lions Gate & Eternity Gate Spaceports.. but what about the defenders of the Citadel of Justice of The Black Ministry? Did they valiantly hold out until relieved or were they slaughtered by the rebels?

Nero
14-10-2008, 12:06
Anyway, Imperium always wins the Summer campaign...

Except when Chaos win (*cough*eye of terror*/endcough*).

warsmithferrousmaximus
16-10-2008, 22:38
This would be great to host some truely enormous apocalypse battles and would be an excellent twist to go back to the heresy.As has been said everyone knows the outcome gw have presented ,but the scale of the battle for the palace and lionsgate could at last be given justice.

the only problem is the scale of the battles, i mean think how long it would take just to complete turn 1!!

woffims
17-10-2008, 04:22
i like chaos marines

keatsmeister
17-10-2008, 10:03
Never mind the classic siege if Terra, a 2nd siege of Terra would be the one to go for. No Primarchs or Emperor to bail out the loyalists this time. Abaddon rounds up his boys and smashes through the already weakened Cadian defences, and heads straight for Terra. There are already forces for each race spread throughout the road to Terra (region around the Eye of Terror, and the Armageddon system), so that solves how they get involved. Also gives the opportunity to wheel out the Adeptus Custodes...

Cartographer
17-10-2008, 10:11
The Horus Heresy will be IA 7 or 8, I'm calling it now...

Unclejo
17-10-2008, 11:51
Never mind the classic siege if Terra, a 2nd siege of Terra would be the one to go for. No Primarchs or Emperor to bail out the loyalists this time. Abaddon rounds up his boys and smashes through the already weakened Cadian defences, and heads straight for Terra. There are already forces for each race spread throughout the road to Terra (region around the Eye of Terror, and the Armageddon system), so that solves how they get involved. Also gives the opportunity to wheel out the Adeptus Custodes...

Actually it would be the 3rd Siege of Terra.

Lord Malorne
17-10-2008, 11:58
Except when Chaos win (*cough*eye of terror*/endcough*).

*Cough check the BFG results *cough ;).

I wouldn't find this a treat and would be annoyed that GW have come up with a rehash of old events...first armageddon war anyone?

Iracundus
17-10-2008, 12:25
*Cough check the BFG results *cough ;).

Which are already accounted for in the declaration of the EoT Chaos win. The sector and space warzones were weighted less from the beginning, and the GW newsletter even hinted at such by saying Imperial forces needed to do better on the planets or fail. They didn't and so they lost.

Lord Malorne
17-10-2008, 12:35
You know they changed that, heck imperials kicked ass in the system just the ground forces took a beating. Though that terrible campaign is OT.

Iracundus
17-10-2008, 13:31
Oh my God, not another Imperial player in denial and unable to understand why they lost. No GW didn't change anything. The ground warzones were always weighted more heavily, and the Imperial players were more poorly organized overall. That is why they lost fair and square in that campaign. Go search this background forum for my posts where I give a run down on what happened in all the major sectors verbatim from the GW results, and also go find the WD article where they announce the result, explain the threshold effect, and also explain WHY the Imperium lost (lack of organization, and inability to coordinate).

Go to this site: http://redelf.h1.ru/w40k/eyeofterror/newsletter_5.html

There is reprinted week 5 of the Eye of Terror newsletter. In it GW warns the Forces of Order that they will lose the campaign if they don't do a better job on the planets.

Warnings
Ursarkar Creed has been hailed by many as the most able Imperial Guard commander since the legendary Lord Solar Macharius, yet many observers have noted that his sub-commanders have not proved themselves quite so capable. So sudden and mobile has the Despoiler's invasion proved that many commanders at a system and planetary level have simply been unable to coordinate their actions, and are reacting to the enemy's attacks rather than dictating their own terms of battle. Creed has issued stern orders to his subordinates- take the initiative at a planetary level, or fall. The choice is that simple.

Above is the relevant section, from midway in the campaign. Whether through inability or deliberate ignoring of that warning, the Imperium did not significantly alter the situation on the planets and so they lost. It is as simple and straightforward as that.

Lord Malorne
17-10-2008, 15:56
:eyebrows: I know they got there ass' kicked on the ground, I was a Black Templar player at Thracian Primaris, were in my GW shop I got the most imperial victories yet overall the chaos won in our gW and many many others (boy was I happy when BT were in the Thracian primaris story in WD) my point is what does the ground matter when you can bombard the renegade scum from space :D.

Iracundus
17-10-2008, 16:15
The ground matters because planetary real estate in the 40K warfare paradigm is more valuable than empty space. Space forces depend on space stations around planets for resupply and crew. Ground to space weapons exist in 40K as do planetary shields so space power isn't supreme. In short, space warfare is one part of combat in the 40K universe. It is not the sole determinant of victory, and the greater importance of the fight for the ground is why Chaos was ruled as winning in the end.

It is no different from holding a 10VP objective while the other side holds a 5VP objective. Both may have value but one has greater value, and that is what dermines the winner. Once again for emphasis because it seems Imperial players have fallen back on this excuse ever since the campaign ended: Space power in 40K is not supreme and is not the be all and end all of combat, else there would be no need for any ground forces period.

Lord Malorne
17-10-2008, 16:29
Woops!

I came across to serious in my posts it seems, I was merely pointing out the humour in them taking planets then being stranded on said planets.

heretics bane
17-10-2008, 16:33

Dont you realise all the battles have already occured in 40k:confused: so what would be the point of playing if we already know the out come.

Its like not playing Lysander because you know he dies in the fluff

Iracundus
17-10-2008, 16:41
Woops!

I came across to serious in my posts it seems, I was merely pointing out the humour in them taking planets then being stranded on said planets.

Except they're not stranded. Space blockades are not air tight in 40K, and the 13th Crusade BL book admits as much. Chaos also has unconventional means of getting around like warp gates or rifts. Finally Abaddon seems to have his Planet Killer up and running again as shown by its appearance in the Thesus sector in the Apocalypse book. The Imperial advantage in space will have some effect and will enable the Imperium to send more reinforcements but not all Chaos forces are going to be stuck planetside just waiting for them to arrive.

AdeptusOverton
17-10-2008, 22:17
The idea of time travel would be awesome and would throw up some awesome scenarios.... such as well in theory merely speculation you understand

A ulthwe farseer leads a strike force of eldar to the meeting place between Fulgrim and Eldrad in a attempt to kill the primarch before he goes under the sway of the blade that would consume his soul.

Azrael leads a Dark Angel attack force to Caliban to prevent its destruction by the Dark Angel sepratists.

Thats only two which I think could be note worthy others may well emerge but tbh a straight replay of the heresy would be epic spec with all the models and possibilties of rules systems that are out now.

Plus theres nothing to stop any of us recreating the campaign ourselves with our mates personally i reckon the large campaign against the orks which was prosecuted in the early days of the Great Crusade would be awesome cause I believe that was the first battle where all the brother Primarchs stood side by side that was Charadon I believe correct me if im wrong.