Rune of Warding (x2)
** MR2 to join unit of Long Beards w/ General **

16 Longbeards
Musician
Standard Bearer
Shields
Veteran
Master Rune of Grungni
**Deployed in the middle of the Hammerers to prove 5+ Ward vs. Shooting/magic missiles**

Thane (Battle Standard Bearer)
Gromril Armor
Oath Stone
Rune of Might
Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Resistance
**Stone gives him MR1 to join hammerers for MR2 total**

18 Hammerers
Musician
Standard
Shield
Gate Keeper
Rune of Courage
Rune of Sanctuary (x1)
**Immune to fear/terror, MR2 with battle standard, re-roll stubborn on a 9 w/no flank/rear when stone is set**

Thane
Great Weapon
Gromril Armor
Shield
Oath Stone
Rune of Resistance
Rune of Stone
Rune of Warding (x2)
**MR2 total to go in other hammerers unit**

18 Hammerers
Musician
Standard Bearer
Shield
Gate Keeper
Rune of Courage
**Just like above immune to fear/terror, MR2, re-roll stubborn on a 9 w/no flank/rear when stone is set**

Bolt Thrower
Rune of Burning
Rune of Penetrating (x1)
Engineer
**Standard config. Has enginner for BS4++

Bolt Thrower
Rune of Penetrating (x1)
Engineer
**Same as above but not flaming**

Grudge Thrower
Rune of Burning
Rune of Penetrating (x1)
Rune of Reloading;ur
**Standard configuration, flaming STR5(10 under hole) D6 wounds**

10 Thunderers
**Deploy 10x1 in front of army. Long beards give both hammer units re-roll phyc on 10 due to general when thunderers die and/or flee**

10 Thunderers
**Deploy 10x1 in front of army. Long beards give both hammer units re-roll phyc on 10 due to general when thunderers die and/or flee**

So the goal of this army is to deploy nice and compact. Longbeards in the middle flanked by both units of hammerers w/ stones to provide flank cover. Thunderers go up front on the 12" line with army behind. artilery go on a hill or somewhere in the back where they can see. The lonbeards should be able to be within 6" of both hammerers and both thunderers units so all foot troops have 5+ ward vs shooting. All three main blocks are MR2, have re-roll on phyc (from Long beards). All three blocks are also immune to fear/terror and the hammerers have the outhstones to counter flank/rear chargers. Both thanes have a re-rollable 1+ arm save and the lord has a 1+ reroll and 4+ ward save.

What do you think??? I like this army alot and think it would do well in a GT. I played in Vegas ended up in the top 25 (playing VC) and was dismayed at the amount of Deamons & VC at the GT. I expect to see more DE & Chaos mortals when the mortals book hits the shelves. Only 2 dwarf players showed up (dwarfs are one of my fav armies and one player was a buddy of mine) and they both placed in the bottom. I think Dwarfs are still very very competative, I had to stop playing with them at my local game store as I was winning so much. So I moved to VC (Zombies, skellies and no Bloodknights for me).

Well Hope you like the list. Comments concerns, and sugestions are welcome.

Also does anyone know if my lord w/ Shieldbarers (who is US3) is immune to killing blow? I can't find it anywhere. I think he is not but some people in my gaming group claim he is.

Cheers
-Complexfrire

Gokamok
11-09-2008, 21:27
I love the idea of using magic resistance on the infantry blocks, and I think the army looks really interesting.

Regarding Killing Blow against the Lord, I think that he is affected, even though he has US3, since the Lord himself is a basic US 1 model. I would ask for a ruling before the start of the tournament though, unless this issue has already been FAQ'ed.

Is there a special rule allowing you to add the MR of the BSB and the Hammerers? Otherwise the BRB specifically states that MR is not cumulative from different sources, but that you would simply use the highest MR.

Does Rune of Accuracy (re-roll scatter dice) still exist? If so, I would highly recommend taking it on your Grudge Thrower.

Against a VC army, I think you will have problems controlling their magic phase. Sure, no damage spells will get through against your big infantry blocks, but (as you are aware;)) most VC magic is not affected by MR, since it doesn't affect your units. I can easily see your infantry blocks being bogged down by skeletons/ghouls while the rest of the VC army kills of the rest of your army and then sets up flank/rear charges.

complexfire
11-09-2008, 23:11
I love the idea of using magic resistance on the infantry blocks, and I think the army looks really interesting.

Regarding Killing Blow against the Lord, I think that he is affected, even though he has US3, since the Lord himself is a basic US 1 model. I would ask for a ruling before the start of the tournament though, unless this issue has already been FAQ'ed.

Is there a special rule allowing you to add the MR of the BSB and the Hammerers? Otherwise the BRB specifically states that MR is not cumulative from different sources, but that you would simply use the highest MR.

Does Rune of Accuracy (re-roll scatter dice) still exist? If so, I would highly recommend taking it on your Grudge Thrower.

Against a VC army, I think you will have problems controlling their magic phase. Sure, no damage spells will get through against your big infantry blocks, but (as you are aware;)) most VC magic is not affected by MR, since it doesn't affect your units. I can easily see your infantry blocks being bogged down by skeletons/ghouls while the rest of the VC army kills of the rest of your army and then sets up flank/rear charges.

You're right the MR does not stack.. I will see about getting the unit up to MR2 somehow.. MR1 is not enough.

Thanks! I do like the army myself and am glad you agree!
Does the scatter re-roll help that much? what would I drop to get the pts?

Yeahh I tend to agree with you on the killing blow issue. In my opinion the Shieldbearers are kinda like a mount.. Anyone else know for sure. I can't find it in a Faq or anything.

As for VC summoning armies.. My plan is to concentrate fire. Shoot at big stuff, Vargulf, Coach, knights etc.. To try and kill them. Then shoot at units, preferably small unites that everyone can see. I do have 5DD so maybe I can at least slow the model creep down!

Cheers
-Complexfire

Kalec
11-09-2008, 23:21
No KB against the lord. He has a US of 3, which is enough to stop it most of the time. Having a mount, in and of itself, has no effect on whether or not a unit is susceptible to KB. Pretty much everything with a mount has a US of 2, and is therefore KB-able, but just being mounted means nothing in regard to KB.

Kaos
11-09-2008, 23:28
Dont you have to have a warrior unit to have some longbeards?

Ozorik
11-09-2008, 23:41
As he is fielding a lord he can have 1 more unit of longbeards than warriors (I think anyway).

A lord on sheild bearers is immune to KB, it has been FAQed.

There is little point in having 2 units of hammers as only the lords bodyguard is stubborn (thanes dont count), swap one unit for ironbreakers instead as they are better for the same points.

To be honest I dont like this list, not enough bodies and to many shiney things. The longbeards in particular will just get overwhelmed.

complexfire
11-09-2008, 23:45
As he is fielding a lord he can have 1 more unit of longbeards than warriors (I think anyway).

A lord on sheild bearers is immune to KB, it has been FAQed.

There is little point in having 2 units of hammers as only the lords bodyguard is stubborn (thanes dont count), swap one unit for ironbreakers instead as they are better for the same points.

To be honest I dont like this list, not enough bodies and to many shiney things. The longbeards in particular will just get overwhelmed.

Thanks for the input!

Both units of hammerers are stubborn. Hammerers are immune to fear/terror when the lord joins them. They are stubborn all the time now! The lord + Runepriest goes with the Longbeards.

My initial army actually had 3 units of hammerers. However I have 20+ 1st ed dwarf models, the adventurer kit and some drunk dwarfs. I want to use them as longbeards since they are soooo pretty.

You are right. Model count is too low!

One more thing. Where is the FAQ? I didn't see it in the FAQ on GW's site.. I just want something I can point to and say see look!

Cheers
-Complexfire

complexfire
11-09-2008, 23:47
Dont you have to have a warrior unit to have some longbeards?

The lord gives me one more unit than normal. Normally I need a unit of Warriors to take Longbeards. Since I have no warrior units I am allowed one unit of Longbeards. If I had one unit of warriors then I could take two longbeard units.

ChaosCajun
12-09-2008, 07:35
Both units of hammerers are stubborn. Hammerers are immune to fear/terror when the lord joins them. They are stubborn all the time now!

Yet you note on the list that both Hammerer units are: "Immune to fear/terror...re-roll stubborn on a 9 w/no flank/rear when stone is set"

I like the list, but agree the model count is very low. You can also try to deny one flank and cover it with artillery and thunderers as a tactic when you don't have a good hill to put them on.

complexfire
12-09-2008, 20:15
Yet you note on the list that both Hammerer units are: "Immune to fear/terror...re-roll stubborn on a 9 w/no flank/rear when stone is set"

I like the list, but agree the model count is very low. You can also try to deny one flank and cover it with artillery and thunderers as a tactic when you don't have a good hill to put them on.

Thats a good idea indeed.

The reason the hammerers are immune to fear/terror is due to the run of courage on each unit. Hence stubborn (since all hammerers are), immune to fear/terror (from the rune of courage) and re-rollable (Due to being within 12" of the BSB)

I am going to post a new list today. I am worried about the Longbeards getting overwhelmed and fleeing if getting in something sticky. So I am going to try and get three units of Hammerers..

Wish me luck

Cheers
-Complexfire