PDA

View Full Version : Thousand son dreadnought

camz1994
12-09-2008, 02:28
How do the thousand sons put there fellow marines in dreadnoughts?

zendral
12-09-2008, 03:26
Well, nowadays they really don't. One can assume that all the dreads that were not sorcers turned into dust-filled tincans (due to the rubric of Ahriman). Although I see no reason why one cannot bind a soul using sorcery into a dread, or having a sorcerer(who was not turned to dust) entombed in one.

PondaNagura
12-09-2008, 04:43
yeah i'd imagine entombing a marine within a dreadnought for the 1k sons, would be close to affixing the soul into it, or sacrifice some host body for it to occupy within the sarcophagus, like a defiler.

jhon
12-09-2008, 04:50
or it can occupied by bound deamon , enslave by the son's techmarine.

Askari
12-09-2008, 12:02
Aren't Dreadnoughts usually reserved for higher-ranked marines?

If so, the higher-ranks of the Thousand Sons were Sorcerers, and as such, could be entombed like any other marine.

Though, of course, the idea of a Psychic Dreadnought is fantastic, still trying to convert mine...

DrDoom
12-09-2008, 17:03
I'd guess they were sorceror's in their former life. Explains why they're so pissy now.

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
12-09-2008, 17:56
Aren't Dreadnoughts usually reserved for higher-ranked marines?

Only in the case of loyal marines. Chaos marines would do it for different reasons, an attempt to keep some great warrior alive or even a punishment.

Askari
12-09-2008, 21:19
Ah yes, I remember reading that, the Chaos Marines hating the imprisonment.
It would be a double-punishment in the Thousand Sons case however, being entombed and then turned into dust hehe.

In any case, the Thousand Sons would have reserved the Dreadnoughts while they were loyal, and after the Heresy, the Rubric occured. Meaning the Dreadnoughts would still likely be reserved for Sorcerers, and perhaps a very very rare Rubric Dreadnought from the time in-between the heresy and the Rubric.

Xandros
13-09-2008, 16:28

It is likely that some degree of sorcery is involved.

Grimtuff
13-09-2008, 19:10
I'd guess they were sorceror's in their former life. Explains why they're so pissy now.

Well, no. If you read the Index Astartes on the TS you'll see that how this fact was represented in game was the Dreadnoughts not having to take their Fire Frenzy tests. ;)

Xandros
13-09-2008, 19:16
I believe that was because it was a rubric dreadnought who would possess little in the way of free will or autonomy and thus not prone to bouts of random madness.

Grimtuff
13-09-2008, 20:05
I believe that was because it was a rubric dreadnought who would possess little in the way of free will or autonomy and thus not prone to bouts of random madness.

No, it actually said that they are inhabited by Sorcerers, which have more control over their sanity for some reason.

Xandros
13-09-2008, 20:17
It doesn't say that.

"Thousand Sons Dreadnoughts do not roll on the Fire Frenzy chart so long as they take the Daemonic Possession vehicle gift. Thousand Sons Dreadnoughts pay only 25 points for this gift."

khorne808
14-09-2008, 06:08
Chaos marines would do it for different reasons, an attempt to keep some great warrior alive or even a punishment.

yep they enclose them because the marines have no freedom to do whatever they want it's basically puting a spiked collar on them.
if you get close to them they just eat you:evilgrin: and go ahhhhh you basterd why did you put me in this peice of crap that needs a oil change every hour;)

Chaplain Muller
14-09-2008, 06:12
If Sorcerers were entombed in Dreadnoughts, would they still be able to use their psychic powers?

zendral
14-09-2008, 07:44
If Sorcerers were entombed in Dreadnoughts, would they still be able to use their psychic powers?

I don't see why not. I've also entertained the idea of librarians entombed in dreads.

Chaplain Muller
14-09-2008, 07:50
I don't see why not. I've also entertained the idea of librarians entombed in dreads.

Librarians in Dreadnoughts would be cool. Storm of the Emperor's Wrath shooting out from a Dread's fit.:evilgrin:

zendral
14-09-2008, 08:55
Librarians in Dreadnoughts would be cool. Storm of the Emperor's Wrath shooting out from a Dread's fit.:evilgrin:

You'll notice (mostly in the rules dev thread) that most (if not all) homemade thousand son codexi include the option to take psychic powers for dreads.

Heck, forge world made a chappy dread, I forsee a libby dread in the future.:)

Chaplain Muller
14-09-2008, 09:41
Heck, forge world made a chappy dread

I'm getting one of those. Already have a TS dreadnought.:D

Xandros
14-09-2008, 17:23
I'm very fond of Sorcerer-Dreadnoughts myself, but I find it hard to make rules for one. Normal psychic powers don't cut it when dealing with something that has twin-linked heavy weapons and a strength 10 power weapon.

destroyerlord
16-09-2008, 09:21
Normal psychic powers don't cut it when dealing with something that has twin-linked heavy weapons and a strength 10 power weapon.
True, however GW's excuse in the past has been that the process of being entombed actually limits a psychers abilities quite strongly. The fact is that a marine in a dreadnought is essentially in a paralytic coma, and people in that condition would probably be unable to channel their powers properly.
In the case of chaos however, things are slightly different. Sorcerers are different to psychers, and I could see chaos marines being forcably entombed in a dread even while still physically healthy, as a punishment/torture type deal.
But to answer the original question, it is hardly possible to bind a rubric marine to a dread, as the soul is bound to their armour (unless magically somehow), but I could see it being done to sorcerers.

Brucopeloso
16-09-2008, 13:01

Er, crack open a p[ower armor and use a hoover? ;)
Ok seriously I think they can either graft a rubric marine soul to the Dreadnought, bind a daemon to it or entomb a wounded sorcerer.

Thanatos_elNyx
16-09-2008, 15:31
My Thousand Sons dreads are possessed Wraithlords.

PondaNagura
16-09-2008, 15:52
i would wonder if they could incorporate psychic materials throughout the chassis of a dread in order to better channel their powers, like a force weapon in dreadCCW form. of course you could always convert a 1k son dread to be more magic looking, that is use regular stats, but instead of weapons use an over-sized staff, tentacles, baleful fires,, gargoyle weapons, etc.