PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs?

ChaplainVarnus
12-09-2008, 15:49
In the 40k universe, could the Necrons or the Eldar have wiped out the dinosaurs? That crater in mxico could be the impact of a massive eldar warhead hitting earth, acting as a massive pulse that killed all of the 'saurs?

The Guy
12-09-2008, 15:52
Heh, don't know why they would do that but it's possible.
Maybe to prevent the rise of 40k lizardmen? :confused:

Mercer
12-09-2008, 15:57
Why would Eldar want to kill dinosaurs for?

Mercer

Firaxin
12-09-2008, 16:00
Sure it could, but I don't see why they would do that...

straightsilver21
12-09-2008, 16:28
orrrrr... a big asteroid could have killed them off. ya' know, in a 40k way.

Iron Father
12-09-2008, 16:31
Yes, its plain as day, the eldar killed off the dinosaurs so man kind could take over as the dominant species, if if it wasnt for eldar we wouldnt be here :D

Dryaktylus
12-09-2008, 16:44
Hum... there were dinosaurs in the RT rulebook, so.... My theory: they (the Eldar) didn't wiped them out, they captured them and brought them to other planets. Why? I'm not sure... maybe as mounts for the exodites.:cool:

Brother Siccarius
12-09-2008, 16:58
orrrrr... a big asteroid could have killed them off. ya' know, in a 40k way.

An Ork Rok that didn't slow down ;).

It should be mentioned that the C'tan remember us as hairy primates, which would put the dinosaurs at the already extinct phase by that point. Somewhat negating that the idea that the dinosaurs were inexplicably destroyed for some unknown purpose.

Emperor's Grace
12-09-2008, 17:16
Missed shot from a mass driver over by the eldar homeworlds?

Faustburg
12-09-2008, 17:29
Being the dominant species on the planet at the time, they were eaten by the enslavers as those wiped out most higher life forms at the time...

Hum... there were dinosaurs in the RT rulebook, so.... My theory: they (the Eldar) didn't wiped them out, they captured them and brought them to other planets. Why? I'm not sure... maybe as mounts for the exodites.:cool:

The RT book also made the point that the use of the term "dinosaur" did not realy imply they were the same thing that wandered the earth millions of years ago, but only was picked since it was an easy term for big lizards...

Norminator
12-09-2008, 17:35
Being the dominant species on the planet at the time, they were eaten by the enslavers as those wiped out most higher life forms at the time...

I think you're missing the distinction between dominant and higher. Higher implies high levels of sentient and intellect, and a warp presence, which is what the enslavers mean. The dinosaurs were the dominant life form, but there isn't really any evidence they reached anywhere near the intelligence of even basic primates.

Faustburg
12-09-2008, 18:49
Yeah, because I was saying that the dinosaurs were intelligent... thanks for correcting me, here I thought they were...:rolleyes:

Enslavers killed off everything, sentient and/or psychic or not, in the 40k fictional setting. At the time dinosaurs died out. Connect the dots.

PondaNagura
12-09-2008, 18:58
i'm gonna stick with rogue meteor idea, since earth at the time was a backwater world of no significance whatsoever.

Kurisu313
12-09-2008, 19:34
In the 40k universe, could the Necrons or the Eldar have wiped out the dinosaurs? That crater in mxico could be the impact of a massive eldar warhead hitting earth, acting as a massive pulse that killed all of the 'saurs?

That which is raised without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Yes, they could've, but why would you think it for even a second, without a reason to?

I mean the dinosaur meteor-o-doom was a real event, so not likely done by fictional aliens.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not meant to.

mick005usa
12-09-2008, 19:51
The Enslaver Plague occurred 65 million years ago.

I've always inferred this to be a tongue-in-cheek suggestion along the lines of 'da Enslavers wuz so 'ard, they stomped da dinosaurs.' Or something like that...

Idaan
12-09-2008, 20:46
I was always thinking that the dinosaurs were (accidentaly) wiped out during the final assault by the young races on the Dragon's tomb, which happens to be on Mars. Or as the myth puts it, during the final fight between the Dragon and Vaul. But that was until Hellebore pointed out that War in Heaven ended 60 millions of years ago, not 65. So it was some time after the dinosaurs extinction. Still, there's a possibility that they were destroyed by some stray shot earlier on, although there's no evidence of other Necron/C'tan activity in Solar system.

susu.exp
12-09-2008, 20:47
I think you're missing the distinction between dominant and higher. Higher implies high levels of sentient and intellect, and a warp presence, which is what the enslavers mean. The dinosaurs were the dominant life form, but there isn't really any evidence they reached anywhere near the intelligence of even basic primates.

The dinoasurs werenīt the dominant life form (whatever that means). They didnīt make up a lot of biomass, they didnīt have a high biodiversity. Most of life on this planet is and has always been bacteria. If you look at multicellular life: Arthropods easily have it, especially since they got on land. Now you could look at terrestrial vertebrates only, and... Dinosaurs are still more abundant than mammals (roughly twice as diverse). Humans have killed off more dinosaur species than the KT impact did, at least as far as our data allows us to say.

Norminator
12-09-2008, 21:06
Yeah, because I was saying that the dinosaurs were intelligent... thanks for correcting me, here I thought they were...:rolleyes:

Enslavers killed off everything, sentient and/or psychic or not, in the 40k fictional setting. At the time dinosaurs died out. Connect the dots.

Sorry for any offence, I read your post quite quickly and probably did misconstrue your point. However, I never remember the enslavers attacking non-sentient life forms - I thought they worked by getting into the mind of ones with warp prescences, using them to open a gateway (presumably quite grisly for the subject) and letting a host more in? Please correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

I think MvS came up with the idea that, as the Nightbringer went tearing through the cosmos after fighting Khaine, he sent asteroids flying everywhere - one hitting earth and killing the dinosaurs. No fluff behind it as far as I know, but it's an idea I like.

Koryphaus
13-09-2008, 00:04

Troodon was quite smart, apparently.

Hellebore
13-09-2008, 00:13
No, because the events of the necron codex happen SIXTY million years ago, 5 million years AFTER the extinction of the dinosaurs. People keep getting that wrong (probably because 65 million years is ingrained in people's mind).

Hellebore

Barltok
13-09-2008, 00:39
Dinosaurs were actually squigs.

The plot thickens!

ChaplainVarnus
14-09-2008, 13:06
I think that the ork rok might be a good idea. Earth might be the Ork homeworld and they were trying to make spacecraft after they conquered earth but it went wrong and fell out of orbit. The meks had stacked burna bombs in it to make sure if it went out of control then they could detonate it but they went off too late when it struck earth. The orks had built shelters and when they came out they built another one out of the stuff that the dinosaurs could'nt eat because they had died in the explosion. That's my theory.

Templar Ben
15-09-2008, 00:58
No, the dinosaurs were killed by the Brain Spawn.

Haven't you seen The Why of Fry?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
15-09-2008, 01:21
Dinosaurs were actually squigs.

The plot thickens!

Are you kidding me?

They were obviously Squats

Brother Siccarius
16-09-2008, 06:33
I think that the ork rok might be a good idea. Earth might be the Ork homeworld and they were trying to make spacecraft after they conquered earth but it went wrong and fell out of orbit. The meks had stacked burna bombs in it to make sure if it went out of control then they could detonate it but they went off too late when it struck earth. The orks had built shelters and when they came out they built another one out of the stuff that the dinosaurs could'nt eat because they had died in the explosion. That's my theory.

My comment was really meant as a joke. Orks wouldn't have existed at the time the dinosaurs came about. As C'tan remember humanity as hairy primates, then they remember an earth already after the death of the dinosaurs. Primates would have come about either sometime around the end of the dinosaur's existence, or some time after (I'm not a biologist or archeologist I don't know which, but I believe it's closer to the latter).

Orks didn't come about until the end of the War in Heaven, when the C'tan were on the verge of winning (only the destroyer plague destroying their "crop", and their constant infighting, turned them on their heels).

Tommygun
16-09-2008, 06:48
But how do I make this all fit into Creationism?;)

Koryphaus
16-09-2008, 07:26
Primates would have come about either sometime around the end of the dinosaur's existence, or some time after (I'm not a biologist or archeologist I don't know which, but I believe it's closer to the latter).

The earliest primates are found in the fossil record dating to 50-55 million years ago.

I found that here (http://anthro.palomar.edu/earlyprimates/early_2.htm).

Dryaktylus
16-09-2008, 11:58
According to my old palaontology book (Caroll, 1996) there is a molar from upper Cretaceous related to a primate species from... - okay, this doesn't fit here, but the name is Purgatorius (!) ... sounds like a typical GW name for a dreadnought or LR. :D

ChaplainVarnus
18-09-2008, 19:07
I stick by my ork rok theory. Maybe it was some weird sub-ork race that eventually inspired the Brainboyz to make orks. Anyways, is everyone forgetting that the laughing god is Mork and Khaine is Gork? I read that in some random corner of the Internet. Doesn't stop it being true,of course. If anyone proves me wrong then it would still be funny if Khaine and the Laughing God(Liliath?) looked like Stompaz:p 'cos according to the orks the stompaz were built to look like Gork and Mork. If Eldar were around in dinosaur times then it's completely possible that orks were too.

Hrw-Amen
19-09-2008, 21:49
Yes, it was a rok and the orks were actually then primative ferral orcs. I expect some scientist will dig one up at some stage and claim it as a missing link. Maybe they are still around in the form of the Yeti and the like!!

Lord of ???
20-09-2008, 00:28
I vote for interstellar chavs out on a vandalism spree