PDA

View Full Version : Legio Cybernetica?

malika
12-09-2008, 16:03
I'm curious about that branch of the Adeptus Mechanicus who deploy robots. Anybody got info on them? Is there also more recent info (such as BL novels or HH novels) or only ancient material?

Clockwork-Knight
12-09-2008, 16:15
Only ancient material, and seeing how they haven't been mentioned at all since years, I guess they were stealth-retconned out of existence the same as did happen to the Squats. Never mentioning them ever again.

Mechanicus
12-09-2008, 16:23
Only ancient material really - except for a small mention of a Mechanicum adept being in charge of robots in False Gods. IIRC, the Legio Cybernetica is an ancient institution of the Mechanicus which has pre-programmed robots which are controlled by a 'technician' in maniples (I may be confusing the terms - I can't check right now) of five or more, which are each in a cohort, which is one of many. Roughly half the technicians betrayed in the HH and post-Heresy, they became very puritan and almost repentant about it all. They participated in the Second Pacification of Isstvan V (Operation Carthage). They used to scavenge parts from Dreadnoughts, which may still be possible in current material - just not the iconic parts. As I said, I can't check this immediately, but I presume someone will be able to correct my specifics - it's been a good long time since I read the material on them. :) I hope I'll have a chance later to come back and correct myself.

Hope I helped! :D

Only ancient material, and seeing how they haven't been mentioned at all since years, I guess they were stealth-retconned out of existence the same as did happen to the Squats. Never mentioning them ever again.See above, but also see Citadel Journal 33 (IIRC), where Jervis Johnson wrote about the destruction of the Squats. :) But that's another topic...

FashaTheDog
12-09-2008, 16:34
Apart from the old stuff, not necessarily retconned, just forgotten in the annals of 40K (perhaps Mechanicus will bring some back to light), there are some homemade rules for them on Bell of Lost Souls. Mind you this is nothing official but the rules are fun.

Link: http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/09/warhammer-30000-age-of-heresy-v2.html

legio mortis
12-09-2008, 17:29
They haven't been retconned. There were Legio Cybernetica units active during the 13th Black Crusade.

PondaNagura
12-09-2008, 17:43
yeah i'd imagine they'd only pull those out for special occasions. though what those occasion might be i don't know, since they are probably more expensive/consuming to maintain than just building larger armored servitors.

hmm actually upon later thought i'd guess they'd be great for tackling things that invoke fear in mortal minds, even lobotomized ones.

macorrie
12-09-2008, 22:51
Besides the List of forces present for the battle for Cadia in the Black Crusade Codex the only other mention of something similar is Gaunts Ghosts I believe it was "First and Only" where Gaunt and his Ghosts encountered Iron Men....but they really arent Legio Cybernetica then are they:(

Shibboleth
13-09-2008, 09:01
Their old Chapter Approved fluff is available here:
http://www.gamehobby.net/subject_indexes/subject_wh40k_chapter_approved.html
Scroll down to WD 104, then the 'Legio Cybernetica' heading and read on...:chrome:

biggreengribbly
13-09-2008, 10:14
They haven't been retconned. There were Legio Cybernetica units active during the 13th Black Crusade.

yeah i'd imagine they'd only pull those out for special occasions. though what those occasion might be i don't know, since they are probably more expensive/consuming to maintain than just building larger armored servitors.

hmm actually upon later thought i'd guess they'd be great for tackling things that invoke fear in mortal minds, even lobotomized ones.

Besides the List of forces present for the battle for Cadia in the Black Crusade Codex the only other mention of something similar is Gaunts Ghosts I believe it was "First and Only" where Gaunt and his Ghosts encountered Iron Men....but they really arent Legio Cybernetica then are they:(

I was positive they got a mention in the Eye of Terror material as well, damned if I could find where though. So can I get a reference check on that?

And it was actually stated in some of the original fluff I believe that the Inquisition were great fans of the Cybernetica. Uncorruptible, and scares the crap out of cultists. Great success :D