PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf vs Wood Elf help!

Lord Aislinn
13-09-2008, 22:17
Tomorrow I'll be using the new dark elves against a wood elf player.
Now I'm unsure of what list he'll be using, though mine will consist of (1500):

Master 80
lance, HA, SDC, BSB, Lifetaker, CoC. 247

Soceress 100
lvl 2, DS cloak, DS. 185

15 Corsairs 150
FC, warbanner. 200

2x 5 DR 85
Music + Champ 21, RxBs. (131) 262

6 Harpies 66

Assasain 90
2 HW, RoK, Cloak of twighlight (may drop), Black lotus. 161

5 coK 135
FC, pearl of infinite bleakness 25. 200

10 WE
FC, Banner of murder. 160

Any critisicism welcome alongside any tactics to employ, thank you! :D

Chicago Slim
13-09-2008, 23:47
1/6 of your points, and a decent bit of your offensive power, is that Master on the Chariot. During deployment, make SURE that you know what his target is, and make SURE that you get him into it. This may be harder than it sounds: there's a decent chance that he'll have NO ranked-up troops; still, if you can get a charge on his Dryads or Wardancers, it should go well for you.

There's a good chance that your opponent will bring a Treeman. That, by the way, is NOT your Master's target (his high T and Stubbornness will mean that you're unlikely to do more than tie him up...) Your best bet, if the Treeman shows up, will be to screen him with Dark Riders (they're cheap, they flee once and rally, and eventually, if you give up 130 points tying up his 285 point monster, that should give you a chance to make a play somewhere else). This means that you need to bait his Treeman, so that he really has no choice but to go for the Dark Riders. This means deploying the Dark Riders near the end, once you've seen where (if) his Tree is. To that end, you might even strip down one unit, so that it's a totally expendable 85 points...

I'm not sure what the Harpies are doing. If you have the models for it, you might prefer to replace them with a 10-pack of Warriors, giving you the option of hiding the Assassin something that looks like a speed-bump.

Lord Dan
14-09-2008, 04:56
I only slightly disagree with Slim. Harpies may be one of the few units capable of cornering his WE if he decided to harass you and keep out of your charge arcs. I also don't like the thought of putting a 140 point assassin in a 10 man speed bump unit with the hope that he'll simply ignore it with all those arrows he'll bring along with him. In fact, based on the rest of your list, a unit of 10 warriors seems like the most viable bow-target.

Lord Aislinn
14-09-2008, 10:12
So if I drop the Cloak of Twlight on the assasain, and give him manbane perhaps, then go hit the treeman a bit?

Makarion
14-09-2008, 15:35
I'd never put a standard and magic banner on a 10-man unit that isn't multi-wound or cavalry. One lucky magic missile and you've given quite a few VP away. Witch Elves are flavourful, but fragile - keep them naked.

Chicago Slim
14-09-2008, 23:44
I also don't like the thought of putting a 140 point assassin in a 10 man speed bump unit with the hope that he'll simply ignore it with all those arrows he'll bring along with him. In fact, based on the rest of your list, a unit of 10 warriors seems like the most viable bow-target.

So, you're assuming that his Assassin MUST be in his unit of 15 Corsairs? Because those 10 Witch Elves would be MY first target with any shooting I had (I'm a wood elf player, myself, among others...)

Dark riders are a great target for archery, as well-- they get shot up just as easily as warriors (T3, 5+ save, not skirmishing...) but are a considerably larger threat.

So, by my figuring, there's at least three units that would take target priority ahead of a 10-pack of warriors (because they're equally easy to shoot, and have greater offensive threat).

Manbane on the Assassin isn't as good answer to the Treeman as you'd think-- if you don't kill him outright, his strike-backs have a pretty good chance to kill you (5 attacks needing 5s to hit, wounding on 2+, no save); by the time you're paying for Manbane, you're risking a lot of points on that gamble-- plus, you've got a whole unit that you're bringing to that fight with you, none of whom are going to do much to that Treeman.

No, I stand by my previous advice: your best bet against a Treeman is to keep it running around, keep it ineffective, while you carve apart the other 2/3 of his army.

Iskiab
15-09-2008, 02:14
You know, I agree with Chicago slim 100%. Your list isn't build to be able to handle a treeman. Treeman's are tough as nails with a ridiculous amount of wounds - they're the perfect anvil. A treeman is designed to soak up a hit from something like a chariot.

About your assassin... I would definitely take the manbane instead. I think manbane or touch of death is best, but touch of death would be useless against a treeman.

I agree a banner of murder might not be the best idea either. What I like doing is getting a hag and then giving her manbane. It's only 10 more points then what you've spent.

An important point about Witch Elves... especially against a Wood Elf army, he will try to lead your witch elves around and exploit their frenzy. I'd screen them with the harpies. If you put the harpies right in front of the WEs then not only does it protect them from misslefire, but you can control when they charge. Just charge and move the harpies out of the way first before charing the WEs... you just have to make sure 1 WE can see around the harpies for line of sight... and no you can't see through the harpies even if they're spread out.

You know you could take out the treeman... your master on a chariot plus assassin would do the trick I think, barring that I'd stay away from him. They have that silly ward on them though even if you get through the toughness. They're tough.

Oh, one more thing. I'd give your master a halberd to give him Str 5. Cheap cost for a good return.

I've never used Lifetaker before.... might be useful, especially with WE forest stalker thing... make sure you shoot at the expensive harrassment skirmisher units.... I never would have thought of taking that item, but I think taking it is clever.

orkz222
16-09-2008, 06:03
No hydra? bring 1

The Red Scourge
16-09-2008, 06:33
Your best bet, if the Treeman shows up, will be to screen him with Dark Riders (they're cheap, they flee once and rally

No wood elf player in his right mind would charge Dark Riders WE are the masters of flee-bait, we know how that stuff works. He'll simply march his treeman around the riders. Strangleroot them and terrorize them.

In fact. If he brings a treeman, then it is not its CC abilities you shall fear it for, but rather the strangle-root. It is fantastic against T3 low armor elves. :evilgrin:

If you want to bag yourself a treeman, you need S6+ attacks preferably magical. Or loads of flaming attacks :)