PDA

View Full Version : renegade chapters

studderigdave
14-09-2008, 23:36
im looking at making a SM "army", which is more of a strike force as i see space marines are supposed to be, all drop pods and such. but i cant stomach as actually playing a loyalist chapter. as a chaos player i dont really want to do a "counts as" chaos chapter using the new book so i would like to know about all of the renegade space marine chapters. i know the soul drinkers, but are there others?

MajorWesJanson
15-09-2008, 00:28
Why not do one of the 30 chapters that was found wanting and sent on penitent crusades into the Eye of Terror? After a while mucking about in there, one or more could come out, still fighting for the Emperor, but no longer loyal to the Imperium that sent them in there.

stainawarjar
16-09-2008, 07:46
There's always the Sons of Malice...

Koryphaus
16-09-2008, 08:26
The Damned Company of Lord Caustos? Declared Excommunicate on some [I]very/I] flimsy evidence.

Iron Snakes I think were declared Excommunicate by a Cardinal after he saw them giving worship to the Emperor in the form of an animal totem. Now have a chapter base set up under an ammonium ocean somewhere.

If you can find it, read the Index Astartes arcticle: Rogue Sons. Very informative, has plenty of Red Corsair fluff as well as 3 or 4 other chapters.

Leftenant Gashrog
16-09-2008, 13:43
Iron Snakes I think were declared Excommunicate by a Cardinal after he saw them giving worship to the Emperor in the form of an animal totem. Now have a chapter base set up under an ammonium ocean somewhere.

Thats pretty much right except it was the Steel Cobras (rather obscure chapter with only one fluff mention) rather than the Iron Snakes (Dan Abnetts chapter with several Inferno stories and a full length novel to their name).

Koryphaus
16-09-2008, 14:16
So close, yet so far..

Grandmaster Abael
16-09-2008, 17:12
Well, there are also the Relictors.

They were excommunicated during the 13. black crusade for attacking an inquisitorial outpost, were they tried to steal some demonartifacts. At this point they already had undergone an penancecrusade for their unhealty obsession of demonweapons. But it must be noted, that they used the demonweapons to fight chaos. Also they have/had(?) a lot librarians, like the Blood Ravens. Otherwise they didnt differ much from other codexchapters.

Their current state is quite unclear, as it is said, that they are mentioned in the new Codex: Space Marines, without any relation to their excommunication. As they are outcasts for just an short time now, i guess, that they are still loyal to the emperor and try to maintain their order, till the "differences" with the Inquisition are cleared.

And before i forget: The demonartifacts seem to be gone now, as their chapterfortress, a starfort, was destroyed by the Grey Knights. But as a lot of ships escaped, i can still see an force of Relictors running around.

studderigdave
16-09-2008, 19:15
i totally forgot about the sons of malice. the color scheme for me is a lil fuzzy, anyone wanna link me to a good pic of their scheme?

Koryphaus
17-09-2008, 01:19
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sons_of_Malice

CrotchLictor
30-09-2008, 19:37
I also seem to remember a trilogy of books on the Soul Drinkers. They were renegade after a recovered chapter artifact (Soul Spear, some sort of void weapon) was stolen from them upon it's recovery. I believe it was the Tech Priests that stole it.

Anyway, their color scheme was purple and gold, with a chalice being the chapter emblem. The Chapter Master (Sarpedon, I believe) was mutated so that the lower half of his body was like a spider. That happened when the Demon Abraxus (again, I think that was it) tried to get them to turn traitor.

So basically, these guys are renegade. Just another suggestion. Sorry, couldn't find anything much on wiki (didn't search too long, though).

DapperAnarchist
30-09-2008, 21:30
One of the Badab War Chapters?

Inq. Veltane
30-09-2008, 22:18

Since when did a Cardinal have the authority to do that? The Ecclesiarchy has no authority over the Adeptus Astrates and never has... Declaring a Chapter Hereticus would require, at the very least, several very senior Inquisitors. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen in some BL novel, just that its oh so wrong.

Ddraiglais
01-10-2008, 08:26
GW has always maintained that it's kosher to use the SM dex to represent a chapter that has recently gone renegade.

Leftenant Gashrog
01-10-2008, 17:41
Since when did a Cardinal have the authority to do that? The Ecclesiarchy has no authority over the Adeptus Astrates and never has... Declaring a Chapter Hereticus would require, at the very least, several very senior Inquisitors. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen in some BL novel, just that its oh so wrong.

The Ecclesiarchy doesn't have the authority to issue orders to the Astartes, but that doesn't preclude them from issuing orders to all faithful adherents of the Imperial Cult in regards to the Astartes, it simply wouldnt carry the weight of the same order given by an Inquisitor (and would explain why no Astartes have volunteered to engage them). Either way it comes from an Index Astartes article in WD, so is about as canon as it can get.

cool0001
02-10-2008, 20:17
What about Fire Hawks/ Legion of the Damned who got lost in the warp in 983.M41 (40,983)

DapperAnarchist
02-10-2008, 20:54
They have (had? I've lost track) very specific special rules, with EVERYTHING deepstriking, and stuff like that...