PDA

View Full Version : House Rules you use

Phunkmanyeman
15-09-2008, 01:48
G'day all, I'm interested in what house rules & conventions are being used under 5th edition & the reasons they were implemented (you know, purely out of curiosity. I dont want to pillage any cool ones, oh no) :angel:). I think it would be interesting to see what conventions are being utilised by different gaming groups around the globe.

I'll get the ball rolling.

1) With regards to area terrain we allow LOS up to 6" in/through it. Any further & sight is blocked. We believe this is a better representation of area terrain as small patches of woods or ruins wont block LOS but you better believe a big ass forest or half demolished factory will. It obviously breaks up the table to encourage movement as well.

2) When it comes to removing casualties from enemy fire we dont allow kills to come from models in the target unit that are out of LOS of the firer unless all other models have been killed. If coherency is compromised thats tough titties, the owning player must move back into it next opportunity he has. Note that casualties can still come from out of a weapons range, just not LOS.

This rule is rarely used but makes sense when a big ork or gaunt squad is wrapped around terrain in such a manner that it is not possible for the firer to see the whole squad. No matter how GW dressed up the current rules it just didnt make sense that casualties could come from models out of LOS. This also seemed to promote "tactical" casualty removal (ie casualties are coming from models in a squad that are behind a bunker which is behind a hill in a forest under a swamp while the models from the same unit that are standing on a plain 11" from the enemy miraculously escape injury because bolter rounds were bouncing off of lucky belt buckles & brass ********). This is not in the spirit of the game (and I play Orks & Nids so I'm only making it worse for myself!). The game should be won by outsmarting your opponent (curses of the Dice Gods aside), not through lame casualty removal tricks (I wont call such underhanded behaviour tactics as they arent).

3) Dice must land on the gaming area to count, all cocked dice are rerolled & all rolling is made in plain sight. Common sense here methinks.

4) Models must be assembled. They dont need to be painted. We all have lives outside of gaming & understand that some really hate this part of the hobby.

5) Rules lawyers, poor losers & winners are castrated. Seriously.

6) We were thinking of going back to the old 4th ed defensive weapon strengths but decided against it as that would mess with the game dynamic way too much.

In the end our group thinks these rules make playing 5th ed an even better experience than it already was.

Keep on rolling.

PS: Here is the shameless plug. If anyone 18+yo in the Adelaide metro area is looking for some new opponents then PM me.

rintinglen
15-09-2008, 02:23
I have been using a modification of the assault rules.
Only models that are actually engaged can be removed as casulties.
The example given in the rule book of models being removed from the back of a unit, so that the engaged gretchen still get all their attacks, simply makes no sense. If a mob is charging into an entrenchment only those in the front get to fight, at least initially. If the defenders through skill or luck manage to strike the front runners down, then they win for themselves at least a momentary respite until the next adversary arrives. By requiring casualties be removed from the engaged models, it more accurately reflects what would be occurring, and eliminates the stench of cheese from casualty removal.

Also, in line with the general category of casualties, we only count models actually in sight when checking for cover. If 4 IG infantry models have come around a building and are in unobstructed view, while the rest of the squad is absolutely obscured by the building walls, then those four get no cover save, but only they can become casualties, unless a blast template gets a lucky scatter.

sabre4190
16-09-2008, 04:47
We have alot of house rules dealing with terrain. These are fun little adjustments that don't dramatically change the game, but add some extra bit of detail. Like rules for unsafe buildings, tar pits, creating craters, or the jungle rules we made up. They are all really minor, but we like them.

Phunkmanyeman
16-09-2008, 04:55
We have alot of house rules dealing with terrain. These are fun little adjustments that don't dramatically change the game, but add some extra bit of detail. Like rules for unsafe buildings, tar pits, creating craters, or the jungle rules we made up. They are all really minor, but we like them.

So spill the beans. Provide some details or your dice will roll 1's for all eternity.

TheOneWithNoName
16-09-2008, 05:01
Armour saves against dangerous terrain tests. Doesn't seem right for a Marine to kill himself tripping over a rock. :wtf:

Phunkmanyeman
18-09-2008, 05:19
Surely more than those that have posted use house rules!

C'mon people, dont be shy, let us know what conventions & rules apply where you play.

The Clairvoyant
18-09-2008, 08:27
Tanks don't have to fire all its weapons at the same target.
Returning to 40k from 2nd ed, the rule about the left sponson weapon not being able to see the same target as the right sponson weapon so can't shoot seems silly.

Actually, this is a rule we've discussed, but seeing as none of us have actually played 5thed yet, we don't know what effect it'll have on the game. Tanks not being able to move and fire needs a little re-jigging so hopefully the splitting fire will help.

Devon Harmon
18-09-2008, 09:01
1) With regards to area terrain we allow LOS up to 6" in/through it. Any further & sight is blocked. We believe this is a better representation of area terrain as small patches of woods or ruins wont block LOS but you better believe a big ass forest or half demolished factory will. It obviously breaks up the table to encourage movement as well.

This is one that we use as well, but usually just for forests. We also vary the distance required to block LOS to represent different densities of trees. If it is a light wood, you can see up to 6". If it is a jungle you can only see up to 2".

Iron Father
18-09-2008, 09:07
We were tossing around the ideas of house ruling Terminators to either have 2 wounds each or T 4(5) to make them as survivable as they should be.

Stingray_tm
18-09-2008, 09:20
Most house rules we would implement for 5th edition pretty much cancel the changes from 4th to 5th, so we decided to stay with 4th.

IJW
18-09-2008, 09:29
3) Dice must land on the gaming area to count, all cocked dice are rerolled & all rolling is made in plain sight. Common sense here methinks.

Apart from this (which I've never seen done any other way in 25 years of gaming), we don't use any house rules for 5th ed, we haven't found them necessary. Plus several members of the gaming group are training up for the UKGT so house rules would just be a pain for them.

Lion El Jason
18-09-2008, 10:38
Man...wierd. For me 'House Rules' are supposed to be things like "This piece of terrain is a bit strange, we count it as a hill and a wood" not a series of errata for the rulebook. Of course you're free to play however you like but basically playing a different game from everyone else seems odd to me.

Askari
18-09-2008, 11:09
I thought most gaming clubs and small groups had house rules, heck me and my friends house-ruled Monopoly.

Onto specifics:
Again on the LOS only extending 6" into a forest, we excuse it by saying any further and the models' camouflage blends them in [haha, as if..]

Defensive Weapons are S5.

No Retreat! is done so in a multiple combat with for example two units vs. one, the extra wounds are shared between the units, not doubled.

IJW
18-09-2008, 11:15
Defensive Weapons are S5.
No Eldar players in your group, then? ;)

Askari
18-09-2008, 11:30
No Eldar players in your group, then? ;)

Eldar get Shuri-Cats, if they want Cannons... tough.
We thought it fair that Eldar shouldn't be the "only" army to get defensive weapons ;)

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-09-2008, 11:33
Well all the Imperial and Chaos armies have options for str 4 weaponry, don't they? Storm bolters and the like.

Personally I'd much rather get rid of the defensive weapon rule all together and just let vehicles shoot as many weapons as they like at whatever target they fancy.

Sholto
18-09-2008, 11:54
We don't have any written house rules, but we will make stuff up as the game and the dictates of fun requires, eg. Stormtroopers having special equipment allowing them to climb sheer walls that are otherwise impassable (provided they roll high enough for their movement). They are elite, commando-style squads, so, we figured, why not?

We are trying out a replacement for Sweeping Advance, to avoid the situation where eg. a single model can wipe out a dozen men as they break and run. We decided the Sweeping Advance would inflict unsaveable wounds equal to the base attacks of the models on the winning side.

We also play Combat Patrol using a mix of 4th and 5th Ed rules, as well as adding Trophy Hunters special rule.

Sholto

Eryx_UK
18-09-2008, 13:06
1. You do not have to use painted modals.

2. Play WYSIWYG as much as possible but exceptions can be made (meltagun masquerading as a flamer...etc).

3. Victory points not kill points.

Thats it. 5th is good enough to not need any other house rules.

Asi the Red
18-09-2008, 14:35
I think the only house rule we've needed to go with so far is that units charging Tau Stealth teams strike at I 1.
When the Tau codex was written for 4th Ed the Stealth Field Generator made them (paraphrasing) "always count as being in cover when charged" - and this conferred the benefit of them always striking first. Now however there is no tangible benefit to being in cover, only to forcing your opponent to charge through cover lowers their initiative.

Oh, also our rule for cocked dice might be considered a house rule - if you can balance another dice (of the same size) on top of it the roll stands, otherwise reroll.

azathoth556
18-09-2008, 15:25
HA!! Mine even made it into the rulebook. If the dice miss the table they miss.

Fantastica
18-09-2008, 18:54
We are trying out a replacement for Sweeping Advance, to avoid the situation where eg. a single model can wipe out a dozen men as they break and run. We decided the Sweeping Advance would inflict unsaveable wounds equal to the base attacks of the models on the winning side.

Sholto

that's similar to what we've been trying with my group.
we've been experimenting with the winning side getting a "free round" against the loosing side if they run and get caught. it makes a lot more sense than 3 remaining CSM's charging down a whole squad of 20+ orcs just because they rolled poorly

banymic
18-09-2008, 19:18
If an HQ is part of a unit that is forced to fall back, the HQ may ALWAYS test to regroup even if the unit is at less than 50% strength. If the HQ passes his Ld test with a roll of 4 or less, he and the entire squad to which he is joined regroups. If he passes his Ld test with a roll greater than 4 but less than or equal to his Ld value, only the HQ regroups, while the rest of the unit continues falling back under the normal GW rules.

The_Patriot
18-09-2008, 22:15
For my group our houserules are simple, Chaos Space Marines and Sisters of Battle can use drop pods as a deployment option. Sisters of Battle can use the Valkyries for another method of deployment. Otherwise, that's about it.

ChrisAsmadi
18-09-2008, 22:55

I think this one is mostly universal.

El Haroldo
19-09-2008, 00:43
I think this one is mostly universal.

All cocked dice should be re-rolled, yeah. Having said that, I started playing this guy who believed in a system he and his mates concocted for cocked dice that I thought was *********** vile. Basically, whenever a dice came up on an angle, a second d6 was placed on top of it. If the second dice didn't slide off, the cocked dice wasn't deemed to be on a sufficient angle to justify a re-roll.

The thing is, on a moderately cocked dice, it was quite possible to adjust where the 2nd dice went in order to get the result you wanted. If the dice was on a 30% angle say, if this guy had rolled a cocked 1 for his hammerhead's railgun, he'd stack the second dice quite low, and gravity and the angle it was on would cause it to fall as soon as his hand was removed. Time for a re-roll, and oh look your predator just took a railgun round to the side armour!

If a cocked 6 came up for say, fleet distance rolled for a wych squad, the dice would be placed quite high, and centre of gravity would keep it there.

We called him out on this practise but he was fairly arguable. The fact he'd do the exact reverse to his opponent, if you rolled low when you needed high, or vice versa and it was cocked almost exactly 50/50, he'd tell you 'oh you just want a re-roll, nah it's not really cocked'.

Couldn't play worth a damn anyway.

Ages ago a WD article suggested using the lid from an A4 printer paper box. Dice land in the box or they get re-rolled. This also eliminates dice cannon-balling through ranks of beautfully painted minitures. I've always wanted to implement this.

Necrotyr18
19-09-2008, 02:26
The one we came up with at my local club is:

When seizing the initiative, if you roll a six, your opponent can steal it back on a counter six.

The reason for this is one player felt very strongly against the rule, saying there was no down-side that could devastate one side. If you think your going first just to have it stolen from you is terrible. So we came up with this to balance it a bit and not many people mind as it rarely happens anyway, though so far it has been done once at our club.