PDA

View Full Version : Official October 2008 White Dwarf (USA 345, UK 346 etc) Feedback Thread

Wintermute
16-09-2008, 07:58
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the October issue (US 345, UK 346 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

RFT
16-09-2008, 10:26
Not bad- 3 battle reports is an interesting idea to show off the "versatility" of the new marine codex, and interesting for the overall result being W1 : D1 : L1 no easy win for the new codex.

The Concept sketches was kind of cool, though there can never really be enough Jez Goodwin artwork in an article.

John Blanches bit was interesting, and made a change to Jervis' column.

Phoenix Blaze
16-09-2008, 11:15
First of all, I'd like to say how early I've gotten my issue of WD, it's generally not as early as the 16th, which is pretty good, espcially after last month......

Anyway, I say 4. There are a few interesting bits, like the bit with Jes Goodwin, and Blanche and some concept artwork. But besides that, just the usual level of White Dwarf. The few pages detailing "painting tips" is just a waste of paper. Yes it's nice for beginners and such, but I'd like to think that enough people have internet access to view such things meaning that GW could replace such painting tips with something interesting.

Lord Damocles
16-09-2008, 12:38
Luckily I've already had my NMOS (New Marine Overdose Syndrome) jabs, so it should be safe for me to look inside this months White Dwarf...

Editorial - Meh. Latham's painting marines (surprise, surpise), and there might be a battle report in the future. Oh Kay... This really isn't interesting at all. OK.

New Releases - 7 pages of marines; to be expected I suppose. What happened to the picture of the Cobra? it's really grainy. Only other thing to note is that there's no mention of *how much* prices will be rising by, although they do say, 'we do not intend to raise the price of our plastic kits at this time' - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, give it six months. OK.

Space Marines Designer's Notes - Page after page of unnecessarily large pictures and Mat bigging up the new units. Pity. It could have been so much more. Poor.

Odd bits and Pieces - These don't really seem to fit with the design notes so I'll put them on their own. Drop Pods - do we need to see EIGHT pictures of the new pod across two pages? Land Raider - some like the 'show all the bits' pictures; each to their own. Chapters - 'Lets regurgitate some stuff from the codex!' These seem like a cross between page fillers and adverts to me. Poor.

Evolution of the Space Marine - I had visions of something similar to the 'Gensis of the Eldar' article from when Codex: Craftworld Eldar was released - I was wrong. This article *is* interesting, and the concept sketches are great; but there's not enough of it - give us more pictures of marines through the ages, more Rogue Trader stuff, more concept art. I really want to say that this is good, but it could have been so much better. OK+?

Warhammer Raids Part Two - Scenarios, campaigns, coastal boards. As a contiuation of last month's article it's good; but as the sum total of this month's fantasy content it's pretty disapointing. Good.

A Tale of Four Gamers - [snoring] Oh, I'm sorry, I drifted off there for a moment. Seriously, this series is getting more boring as it goes along. The amount spent by the gamers seems to be more random than ever, and there are some more handwavian 'battle reports'. This series is dead on it's feet. Poor.

The Magic of Middle Earth - It's not that long since we had a 'Magic in LoTR' tactica is it? Basicly the same as the last one. Oh, and if you can't stop 'augment' powers you should try to kill the caster. No s**t. :eyebrows: Poor.

Battle Report(s) - I can see the point of showing several different armies in battle to showcase all the new toys, but I'm not won over by this series of reports. So what went wrong?
-1750 points? why not have a standard 1500 or 1850? or better yet, why not have 1000 points for something a little different?
-There are some 'interesting' choices in the various 'bad guy' armies (I'm looking at you Spawn unit!)
-5 special charcters in one game?!? FIVE!
-The new units kick serious backside. Honestly, who would leave their Broodlord and pimped out Stealer retinue in a possition where it could be shot at point blank range by a Redeemer?
-This guy can't play marines for toffee. Sorry, but he can't.
Perhaps it looks like I'm being overly harsh on these reports. Maybe I am seeing setups and rigged results where there are none: but given the obviously rigged reports of the past, it's hardly surprising if people are sceptical about battle results - and it would be 'conveinient' if the results of three reports suggested that the new codex is perfectly balanced wouldn't it...
OK if I'm being generous... Whoa! Wait up! I've literally just noticed (due to reading throught he reports while typing this) that the Avengers in the first game Bladestormed some Sternguard - when they didn't have Bladestorm in the army list. Thats it! :mad: Poor.

Blanchitsu - Yes! Yes! This is what Standard Bearer should have been from the start! Rather than being force fed some patronising drivel by 'Doombringer' Johnson, we actually get something which is actually interesting to read and sounds like someone without an agenda was writing it. Pretty pictures of non-'Eavy Metal models too. All hail John Blanch! Give us more. More! MOAR!
Ahem :angel: Good.

Hobby Essentials - What, did they run out of ideas or something? Seriously; transfers? Poor.

Painting Elrond - How to paint Agent Smith. It's not helped by the fact that the model is butt-ugly and the schemes shown are uninspiring at best. OK.

Painting Workshop - As far as 'how to drybrush' articles go it's alright. I wish they'd shown us how to do the cold one though - because it certainly wasn't how they said it was done. OK.

Frontline - There's a new store (Van de Velde) opening in Schelle, Belgium. Was that of any use to you? No? Me neither. Poor.

Well, on the plus side there's not as much 'Mariens are the Roxors!!1!one!' as I was expecting, but on the other hand there's only one mention of Black Reach (in the Transfers article), and there's practically no LoTR or Fantasy content at all.
'Blanchitsu' and 'Evolution of the Space Marine' are the only redeeming features of the magazine for me - they're like glimses of brilliance through the clouds of mediocraty which shroud the Dwarf currently (Ooh, get me with the metaphores :p).
Now I like Marines as much as the next person (8000 points of Blood Angels are testement to that), but the coverage was just, well, dull. You get axactly what you'd expect to get from White Dwarf at the moment, and nothing more.

Overall, I'd actually say that this month's meagre offering is actually worse than last month's. If it wasn't for the odd flashes of excellence which give us a glimse of the past glories of White Dwarf, this would get my lowest score yet, however as it is, I'll give it a 3.

Osbad
16-09-2008, 13:26
Right. Had my peruse of this at lunchtime. Which was a nice surprise, given it seems like only a couple of weeks ago when the last one... oh! Wait! Hang on...! What?

Anyhow.

Editorial, new releases, Forgeworld pimpage. No surprises there. It serves its purpose.

Designer's notes: More interesting than many. Some acknowledgement that they'd done things suboptimally in the past meaning that SMs were not played as the fluff indicated they should have done (underplayed Tactical squads, underplayed "vanilla" Codex chapters/Smurfs compared to DA, SW etc.) Lots of pretty pictures of course, but what do you expect?

Evo of the SM. Liked this one. I'm always interested in GW history, mainly for the nostalgia, but still, an interview with Jes Goodwin is always going to interest me.

Raids. Fair enough. If I still played WFB its the kind of thing I might try. Might still adapt it for CAoR sometime. One for the reference pile.

Drop pod stuff etc. Interesting. 5th ed is the first time I'm going to actually collect an army since the late '80's, and its going to be Spayz Marienz (hurr!) so I'm actually looking forward to this bit. Checking out different chapters' looks and schemes is actually of interest to me, although in the past it may not have been. The word:picture ratio was acceptable I thought. Not as much white space and picture-tells-the-story as there was in some similar articles in times past.

ToFG. Bit of a waste of space compared to previous similarly named articles but still some nice touches - I liked seeing the objective markers, and the odd "hint/tip" looked good - for instance I liked seeing Mat H's Rhino interior.

Magic of ME. Decent article. I too recall something similar a while back, but decent enough advice. Better than just seeing yet more pictures, that's for sure.

Bat Rep. Haven't read this so can't comment on tactics, although Mad Wart hasn't exactly got a stellar rep in this regard :) I personally would always prefer to see some "real" gamers going at it rather than the simple army-pimpage we get nowadays, even just once a year in between army releases, but... Mind you, bat reps are never my favourite part of the mag. It always smacks a bit of "this one time at band camp..." to me.

Blanchitsu. 3 pages of White Dwarf gold. Everything that last month's article was not. An interesting read. What more do you want from a magazine article?

Hobby Essentials. Basic. Does what it says on the tin. As a proto-marines player this had some interest as I haven't used transfers since I was a kid making Airfix kits over quarter of a century ago...!

Painting Elrond. Leaving aside criticism of Gary Morley's latest travesty of a model, I don't take these masterclass style articles seriously. Give us a guid that shows the results of the technique you are describing, or don't bother. There's no way these simplified descriptions will result in a model that looks anything like that pictured. Lies, pure and simple. Skip over these as they are not to be trusted.

Frontline. Yawn.

Overall I preferred this to last month. Less illustrated pimpage, more to read. I give it a 6 from a general reader viewpoint (although from a personal point of view given I'm starting a SM army... I think its a little higher than that).

Tonberry
16-09-2008, 14:41
I'd like to start my post with two simple statements, firstly, my September issue of White Dwarf arrived on the 4th of September. Secondly, my October issue of White Dwarf arrived on the 15th of September. I blame myself for not reading the article about White Dwarf becoming a fortnightly publication...oh...

Some of the designers comments on the new Space Marines are interesting, to say the least. Their vanilla Landraiders now have a capacity of 12, simply because he wanted them to. Did no-one in the whole of Games Workshop realise that Chaos Space Marine Landraiders have a capacity of just 10, I mean, come on, it's the exact same model...

Blanche should join the WD team. Seriously. They should get JJ to take notes; no-one wants to read 6 months of articles explain how epic roxxor tournaments are. No. We want to read interesting and original articles by a man who looks like the baddie from Zoolander. Blanchitsu = the highlight of October White Dwarf., even though it sounds like a sneeze.

Also, I tried to read the painting Elrond article, but that model's face is just so wrong. It looks like he's been stung by bees and had a bad reaction.

7/10, purely becase I <3 Blanche.

BrianC
16-09-2008, 17:54
Some of the designers comments on the new Space Marines are interesting, to say the least. Their vanilla Landraiders now have a capacity of 12, simply because he wanted them to. Did no-one in the whole of Games Workshop realise that Chaos Space Marine Landraiders have a capacity of just 10, I mean, come on, it's the exact same model...
You're forgetting that Chaos Marines have all those spikes and skulls on chains that makes them so cool, means that you can't fit as many in as with loyal marines.

The good: Blanche, Goodwin and thats about it, oh the drybrushing bits were ok, interesting to see them recommend a colour other than Ultramarine blue for Ultramarines.

I'm of the opinion that WD can't be all things to all people and that WD should concentrate on the beginners and that they should bring out a new magazine for vets. Sounds simple and not at all expensive to set up. ;)

I'd pay about 10 an issue if Goodwin and Blanche worked on a monthly Forge World magazine, but I guess that would mean that it arrived months late with all the pages stuck together and you have to colour in some of the pictures.

Cherrystone
16-09-2008, 18:09
A very average issue (scored it a 5) but with 2 good articles..

Warhammer Raids: actual interesting scenerios and ideas. Need more stuff like this for all game systems each month.

Blanchitsu: excellent, a proper column, i wish more pages were devoted to it, not only for more text but for more pics johns paint jobs.
The magazine needs more of this, i dont get why each issue has one or the other, cant there be both a blanchitsu and a standard bearer (and even a third column by say rick preistley), its a magazine after all.

Fire Harte
16-09-2008, 18:26
I found the tale of four gamers good.

Oh and Blanche's article was amazing! Shame to hear he was in ill health though...

I also found the Drybrush article amusing and worth a read...

Quote: 'We have selected 3 random models...' they have loads of space marines, hehe!

Bigbot
16-09-2008, 21:31
Tale of 4 gamers is actually annoying the crap out of me now, making up rules as they go along, uninspiring actual article, It's just pretty much dead.

Phoenix Blaze
17-09-2008, 12:28
To4G is a mere shadow of what it used to be. In my mind, a key point was the money. It represented people in the real world having limited funds, so every buy was essential. Now it seems they can just go and buy what they want, or just take it from the studio is more likely. The last time they did it for the Warhammer Lustria Campaign, it was pretty good, it was good to read the progression of the growing armies, and it did help to show people the system of write an armylist, buy a unit paint it, buy a unit paint it......this time it's just a waste of paper.

EDIT: just forgot to post this bit about my rant. Fantasy. The amount of attention Fantasy gets compared to 40K in WD is laughable. The recent raid articles have been interesting, but the magazine is generally like 70% 40K and equal measures of fantasy and LotR, only the LotR articles seem to be the same thing printed over and over again, a unit by unit analysis of all the models GW have put out there so far. I know it seems silly to rant about how dire a magazine has become and to still buy it, but there are a few rays of hope, and I'm waiting for the day WD sorts itself out.

Lord Damocles
17-09-2008, 12:52
I know it seems silly to rant about how dire a magazine has become and to still buy it
Hey, join the club :p

Crube
17-09-2008, 13:00
Well, it was a shock when this issue landed on my doormat yesterday...

Anyway, here was I all primed up for an issue of 'Buy Spayce Mareenz' etc, but was actually pleasantly surprised...

Editorial - meh. Better than having it written by Grombrindal, but still... meh.

New Releases - Marines, naturally, but tey do look rather nice... still a bit to much white space in this section for me. Forgeworld stuff is always nice, but the pictures here seem to be quite poor quality...

News - well, they're being upfront about the price rises, but no news about how much things are going up buy. Also, as has been mentioned, they're not putting up prices of plastic kits at this time... so be prepared

Design Notes - Better than they have been recently, but no where near the detail and depth of earlier notes. Good, but could have been so much more interesting.

Drop Pod Assault - I suppose this is quite a big release, but these pages seem more than a little overkill.

Armoured Might - I'm a fan of the sprue breakdowns, so I liked this

Evolution of Space Marine - Lovely article. Something to read. Could have used more artwork, more historical stuff, but then I suppose there's only so much space in the magazine. Very readable though.

Warhammer - Pillage - as it goes, a decent follow up to last months article, but as the sole representative of WFB this issue, very disappointing. I'm surprised there wasnt a couple of pages as a preview for the Warriors of Chaos.

Tale of 4 Gamers - still a pale shadow of the previous incarnations, but seems to be getting slightly better this month. More hints and tips, but really, if they are to insist on this way of doing the article, it needs to be longer and mre detailed.

Magic of Middle Earth - DOnt play LotR, but this looked very similar to other LotR articles from not too long ago?

Battle Reports - Now, I dont play 40K currently. As such, I can't comment on army selections or tactics, but i did enjoy these reports. I'd have liked more detail as ever, but they were an entertaining enough read

Blanchitsu - wonderful. The man's a legend. The models were wonderful. Not always painted to the greatest of standards, but a great set of models painted by someone with their own style. More please.

Transfers - It had to happen sooner or later. Nothing new for me, but kinda useful if you've not used them before.

Eavy Metal Masterclass - Now I always find these useful. As I mentioned I dont play LotR, but the Troll from a wee while ago was useul ( for a DE Hydra) and this months for the skin recipe. For me, this is the perfect recipe for Dark Elf skin, and will be making an appearance when I do my Dark Elves (provided the Marine fever passes by then). The bit about thining paint was also useful.

Drybrushing/Overbrushing - Again nothing new, but deent enough as these sort of articles go.

Open Day review - Not much really said here. Could have been better. How about reprinting the rules for Formula Waaagh, or zero G 40K, instead of just saying we played X and did Y. Also, would it have really hurt to put a couple of early teaser images in there from forthcoming projects?

Frontline - same old, same old.

New subscription stuff - Apart from getting the first 3 issues of a sub for 5, why would I setup a direct debit for 9 a month which works out at 36 a year - the same price as renewing yearly. Plus I get ot take advantage should they decide to produce a different offer...

Overall, I enjoyed the issue. So much so, that Marine fever is starting to take hold, and I can actually see me collecting an army of Space marines. They may even be Ultramarines...

Now there's a couple of sentances I never thought I'd be saying :D

8/10 for me

Phoenix Blaze
17-09-2008, 13:52
For the release of the drop pod, I was hoping for a detailed article showing the development of it, similar to what was done with the land raider and rhino when they were rereleased, but alas, it's just loads of similar pictures with minimal input.

Fire Harte
17-09-2008, 16:49
Yeah, Tom Walton, who designed the drop pod, was new to the design team. His model is pretty good considering it is his first one so far. He should have had an interview.

Also he came down to our store, (with the 'Eavy Metal UM Drop Pod!) and I and a few others had a nice chat with him, shame he was not in there, because I thought it would be good to hear from him. Mr Walton being a new guy and all...

RevEv
17-09-2008, 19:08
Voted 9 - because I'm an SM player, and because this months WD is worth it this time. I'm really pleased it has arrived early, although my son is not (he got the extra WD I received last month as I complained about the late delivery).

Again WD is improving. All they need to do now is get rid of the LoTR content...:evilgrin:

stonehorse
21-09-2008, 23:40
I managed to flick through it at my gaming club, and I'm still underwhelmed by it.

This months just again confirmns to me that White Dwarf is used to promote the flavour of the month, with a slither of articles placed in which aren't promoting the flavour of the month to make it seem like less of a piece of promotional magazine. Yes, I understand they are trying to make money, but it just gets a tad annoying seeing that they just get stuck in 4-6 year cycles of re doing their products and using White Dwarf to sell them.

I didn't see any article on SG when I flicked through it, if there was an article that I missed I would have rated it higher.

For a crusty old vet like my self, there isn't any point in the magazine. Any article that might be interesting is either too short, or/and full of too many pictures/photographs.

I gave it a 1, and I didn't even pay for the thing!

Hellfury
22-09-2008, 03:12
For the release of the drop pod, I was hoping for a detailed article showing the development of it, similar to what was done with the land raider and rhino when they were rereleased, but alas, it's just loads of similar pictures with minimal input.

Indeed. Missing the mark all over the place here.

Everytime a major kit is produced, they have a nice article concerning it's development. Not this time. Even stranger since it also involves a new designer.

GW has made it clear that there will no longer be any content other than pertaining to their models. Thats fine. Yet they cant even give a decent article concerning their models is what bugs me to death.

They tried to cover too many bases with this issue, and the content suffers because of it. Too many articles with potential (SM history), and they fall flat on their face. This is bad for the general reader as they already know not to expect much if they become so bored as myself to actually buy this issue, and when they do....lackluster articles of expected and sadly predictable nature. Though thats giving this issue too much credit, as I expected a grandiose article on the drop pod (easily SM's most eagerly anticipated and long awaited release since the rerelease of the landraider) and didn't expect the to be treated to such a soma filled non-adventure.

Blanchitsu was this issues only redeeming grace, and a good redeeming grace it was. Jervis needs to step aside and quite pontificating to the savages by patronizing them to death. This article is proof and shows what kind of quality content can be provided once that occurs.

I scored this issue a four because of blanchitsu, otherwise it would have easily been a numinous...two.

stahly
23-09-2008, 13:19
I felt a bit disappointed with this issue, and I love Marines. I liked the last issues more.

Some of my thoughts:
Designer's Notes - quite a lot to read, but it talks only about the super cool new additions and changes without explaining what was wrong with the old list and things that got nerfed. There were some nice detail shots of the new models, but also a lot of recycled images of old units that we've seen thousand times before.
Drop Pod & Land Raider sprue break-down - I just don't get it why they break down the new Land Raider kit, as it is a fairly old kit with just new sponsons. Scout Bikes and the Drop Pod would have been more interesting. Also missed the chance to go deeper into the delevopment of the Drop Pod.
Evolution of Space Marines - Nice, could have been longer. I'd generally dig an article that shows how a plastic and metal model is made from start to beginning.
Four Generals - I really dig this article series as it brings models and armies in the magazine that are not painted by 'Eavy Metal. Please more of that!
Battle Reports - The real letdown of this issue. Apart from the White Scars army the army compositions were really bad. 4 UM characters and a Land Raider in a 1.750 point game, come on... and all reports were short and missing details. I think it would have been better to have only one battle report and an article that shows how you can make different styles of armies with the new codex (e.g. Imperial Fist Siege Army with Lysander, Storm Termies, Iron Clad Dreadnoughts, Devastator Squads, Vindicators; White Scars mounted army with a lot of bikes and so on...)
Blanchitsu - was really cool
'Eavy Metal Masterclass - less structured than the ones before.
Drybrushing - just recycled content sadly...

Malakai
23-09-2008, 19:13
SIX! whole pages of WFB?!! :wtf: And that was about raids?! I'm so mad right now. I absolutely loathe Space Marines this month. So my vote is one. This is the worst WD I've seen in years. :mad:

-Malakai

Frep
23-09-2008, 19:34
I give it a 7, I meant to hit the 6 button. the battlereports weren't bad and the evolution of marines article was good everything else was so obviously "ooh by the shiny new models", it was sort of sickening. I think this month and September, which I did't receive till the same day as my October one due to them forgetting I had bought a subscribtion were probably the two worst whitedwarfs I've recieived in the last year and a half.

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
23-09-2008, 20:29
I gave it a seven...

Not a big LotR fan so couldn't really comment about it.

Warhammer Fantasy stuff was interesting.

40K Space Marine battle reports were different this time as there was an example of a new/revised codex force losing!

The development of Space Marines was interesting, nice to see some of the original design art etc. It would have been nice to see some of the Imperial Space Marine metals as well.

Tale of 4 gamers - Can't get into this one as much as the previous WFB one.

The John Blanche section was brilliant.

Phoenix Blaze
25-09-2008, 18:59
I'm going to have to go against the crowd here. While Blanchitsu was good, the main point of the article boiled down to a sixty year old man getting back into the hobby and really playing the game for the first time in ages. And while it's really good to hear such things, I thought the article was only really good for the excellent pictures of John's highly detailed models, and it was cool to see that he paints in the same style as he draws. Besides that, there wasn't much that had me interested. I think if good old Jervis had done the sae style article it'd be perceived as a bit of a waste, and infact, I'm sure he has done so in Standard Bearer. I had such high hopes for a regular article which commented on everything GW, but it generally turns into yet another advertisement for the new stuff, or the specialist games which I'm sure most people don't even know exist!

GW had really sunk low this time.

Foolish Mortal
27-09-2008, 12:36
I gave it a 5.

It showed up two weeks early this time, so that was a bonus (2nd month of a subscription).

EDITORIAL: - Spayz Marinz are cool!!! - errr OK.

NEW RELEASES: - Nice pictures - pity I've already seen 'em on forums a million times already.

SPACE MARINES: - Actually quite some good stuff here. I liked the design notes explaining why they've done what they've done with the new codex & the evolution article was quite good as well (if a little short).

FANTASY: - Raids article quite good, but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy anyway.

TOFG: - Maybe more wordy, but still pretty meh.

LOTR: - another rehashed article about magic - yay. (thank god I have no interest).

BATTLE REPORTS: - I can't comment on army selection, but I did like the narrative layout of the actual report. It's just a pity that it seemed a bit stilted, and I found the profusion of side boxes confusing & unattractive. I did, however feel the outcome was 'fixed', I mean 1 win, 1 loss, 1 draw - certainly covers all bases.

BLANCHITSU: - worth it just for the models he painted. Love or hate his style, you have to admire what he can do with a limited colours, and the levels of gritty realism are just awesome (and no, I'm not a fanboi!!!).

PAINTING GUIDES: - nice in general, but that elrond - god that is one butt ugly figure!!

REST: - the usual filler C**p that they throw in.

OVERALL: - better than last month (by a long shot), but still a long way short of the mark.

Serpent
28-09-2008, 07:58
I gave it a 4. Three Battle reports used to be a treat, now its a bundle of pages which doesn't inspire me to read or play a game myself. I just think "meh" and flick past it.

Designer's notes on the Marine Codex were simply a boiled down:
"Ultramarines are cool. Telion will be in every army! Mouahaha!" No reasoning behind how rules were developed.

Why on earth did they not do a piece on how the Drop Pod was created? The piece on its own almost makes my want to build a Marine army.

To4G has become even more boring than last month. I don't even recognize what's new in the armies anymore...

LionoftheBegs
28-09-2008, 08:06
I gave it a 1. Poor writing, boring articles and more stupid marines. Why not just scrap everything else and just put marines? Change all the designer names to Marines and just live with it. Poor, Poor show.

Ward.
28-09-2008, 09:41
Eh, sometimes I wish they'd do white dwarf as a once every two months thing, that way they wouldn't need filler and the whole thing could be good.

6/10 from me.

Bigbot
28-09-2008, 15:15
After reading it for 2 weeks after GD, I gave it a 4.

Pro's: Blanchitsu, Jes Goodwin, Breakdown of the Land raider sprue (even though I own one, I'm a sucker for this stuff), design notes of the Space marines.

Con's: Where do I start: LOTR article was poor, the painting and drybrushing techniuqes I thought were useless.

However, the item that got me to drop it from an average 7 this issue to the 4 was the battle reports. Crap crap CRAP

If you look closely at the Salamanders army list and the tactical marines chosen you'll see the same marine popping up no less than 5 times in 4 squads, now I've looked carefully here, and at the codex marines book (where here appears once in the Salamanders army picture).

It's crap, are we photoshopping the same marine now to make up an army for our battle reports? If you don't have the men don't lie about it! What happened to the days when if something wasn't in the cabinet, they couldn't use it!

It's a joke cos after i realised this I looked carefully at the Salamanders report pages and noticed that there wasn't a photo of the whole army at all. Just how much crap are they gonna alter and make up in those pages these days?

Atherus Shadowstorm
28-09-2008, 16:53
Gave it a 5, and only then since i happen to play marines and am actually interested in them.

Comments:
Have been reading WD only for 7 issues now (since 340UK) and have to say this is the least impressive of all the issues so far.

Sm opening section:
Pg 3-29 A giant blatent ad for the new space marine models, i know their very popular and the models are good but seriously it reads like a model catalogue.
Pg 30 famous chapters rundown: again what a waste of paper, i can get better info than this for free on GWs own website.
Pg31-33: Evolution of marines kinda a history of the SM tac squad trooper model but thats about it, not hugely interesting even for an SM player.

Pg 36-41: finally something not about SM, the 2nd half of the WHFB 'Raid scenarios' a few scenarios and a suggestion for a campaign structure. Dont know why this isnt just a free D/L on the website.

Pg 43-51: Dont find the To4G thing all that intersting myself, not a bad read if you want ideas for starting a new army but to be honest im not all that impressed with some of the selections.

Pg 52-57; LotR stuff, never played it and dont intend to so cant really comment on it, but at a glance there isnt a lot of useful info in it.

Pg 60-83. Much as i like marines im gettign sick of seeing them by this point, that aside some of the army selections are a bit odd. TH/SS assault termies vs nids, :wtf: small stuff will munch them, big stuff strikes before them too, cant see them doing a lot. and thats just for starters.

Hobby section
Pg 84-86 Vaguely interesting but a bit pointless imo. Nice painting a few interesting techniques, but not a lot actually in it.
Pg 87-99 Elrond is ***** model no amount of fancy painting techniques can change that imo. Dry/over brushing its all basically on the website for free, why am i paying for it.

Overall, not a very impressive issue, far prefer the DE launch stuff from issue 344Uk, it actually told you things and explined some of the reasons behind the changes in the new dex, unlike this one which is basically a sales pitch for the new SM models.

Noserenda
28-09-2008, 20:37
Having stolen my flatmates copy when he foolishly left it in the kitchen ive got to say WD has certainly taken a turn for the bland (4) ive considered resubscribing recently as the mag had taken an upturn from its prior lows but the last 2 have been deeply uninspiring :(

On the upside, coherent maps in Battle reports = win.

Zherghegg
30-09-2008, 02:16
If you look closely at the Salamanders army list and the tactical marines chosen you'll see the same marine popping up no less than 5 times in 4 squads, now I've looked carefully here, and at the codex marines book (where here appears once in the Salamanders army picture).

It's crap, are we photoshopping the same marine now to make up an army for our battle reports? If you don't have the men don't lie about it! What happened to the days when if something wasn't in the cabinet, they couldn't use it!

It's a joke cos after i realised this I looked carefully at the Salamanders report pages and noticed that there wasn't a photo of the whole army at all. Just how much crap are they gonna alter and make up in those pages these days?

Incredible, you are absolutely correct. :mad: I can't believe they would do that... wait, no I can.

I voted a 1. Waste of money, I am so glad I decided not to subscribe, but to buy monthly instead. At least this way I can save my money and vote with my wallet.

Horus38
30-09-2008, 02:50
OK if I'm being generous... Whoa! Wait up! I've literally just noticed (due to reading throught he reports while typing this) that the Avengers in the first game Bladestormed some Sternguard - when they didn't have Bladestorm in the army list. Thats it! :mad: Poor.

Don't want to bust on Damocles too much as I found your assessment of this issue fairly accurate. What I wanted to point out and I'm not sure if someone already noted it but the reason those dire avengers blade stormed is because Asurmen was attached to the unit and he does have that exarch power.

Phoenix Blaze
30-09-2008, 09:57
People are only know noticing the photoshop thing? That's nothing new, it's been going on for a couple of years now at least.

Does anyone find that there's a severe lack of effort in the To4G? Like, no converting, boring painting and the whole money system has gone out the window?

The last time they did To4G for Fantasy, some guy pretty much converted an entire Nurgle Daemon army, and really got stuck into it.

jimbobodoll
30-09-2008, 13:42
A 1 from me: Haven't felt so disappointed since the WD with the Harlequinns on the cover or the loathsome Giant issue. Other reasons for this lowest score include:
1) So much content in this month's WD is free on the GW website.
2) Faking your own product - if GW lack the (can't think of a better term) "Hobby Integrity" to only use the models they have painted - well they are in dire straits. What kind of example are they setting with this behaviour? If i took a page from their book, I'd just photoshop the painting of my models for my monthly contribution to "Tale of Fantasy Painters" here on Warseer.
3) That said, WD's tale of 4 gamers is pure trash. They have either forgotten the structure of it, or have decided to change it to omit the monthy /$ limit. Not surprising considering how much /$ you'd need nowadays compared to when it was run under fat bloke.
4) Spaz Mariners. Oh god. give me a break... Save me from this blatant advertising aimed at 11 year olds. It makes me want to be sick.

In short: Please bring back the expensive to produce content and stop the abysmal shambollic mockery of what used to be a fab mag. alternatively, just switch to a bi-monthly production. Half the mags for twice the and therefore quality (if Gw are still capable of it)? Sign me up. GW will not be getting an renewel of my subscription. Their product does not warrant it.

BiggusDoggus
30-09-2008, 13:52
Faking your own product - if GW lack the (can't think of a better term) "Hobby Integrity" to only use the models they have painted - well they are in dire straits. What kind of example are they setting with this behaviour?

perhaps we should all take it as carte blanche to cut pictures out of WD for our next army entries into a GW torney ? If they can get away with "digitization hammer", I think they'd have to allow paper hammer ;-)

Sarevok
30-09-2008, 16:16
The last time they did To4G for Fantasy, some guy pretty much converted an entire Nurgle Daemon army, and really got stuck into it.

Well harder to do things like that now that bitz are gone.

Lord Damocles
30-09-2008, 17:19
Don't want to bust on Damocles too much as I found your assessment of this issue fairly accurate. What I wanted to point out and I'm not sure if someone already noted it but the reason those dire avengers blade stormed is because Asurmen was attached to the unit and he does have that exarch power.
Damn rules! I'd have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky Eldar! :p

Well spotted (would have liked for the report to have pointed it out for me).

In that case I still rate the battle reports poor due to the non-sensical maps and the fact that the Salies army is photoshop-tastic (I had noticed this on the army list page, but assumed they used different models on the map pages - seems that they didn't :wtf:).

de Selby
01-10-2008, 19:53
Meh. Tale of 4 gamers isn't THAT bad, and the designer's notes gave us some tidbits about designer's intent. Give us MORE Blanche and Goodwin please. Not much else in it this month.

This magazine is going to have to work a lot harder if it's going up to 4.50.

SonofUltramar
01-10-2008, 22:07
This issue was my last subscription issue and frankly i no longer know where it is as i 'read' through it and found nothing of interest. Thing is by the time WD arrives i've seen the new models and read the Codex in my local GW or have read about them online either here or on GW's own site.

When Rick Priestly said the studio was taking WD under their control I had high hopes but nothing has changed that I can see, and yes I know WD has a 3 month lead time.

I gave it a 3, couple of good articles but so much that's bad that I have no concerns about buying it monthly.

venus_redscar
01-10-2008, 23:09
SIX! whole pages of WFB?!! :wtf: And that was about raids?! I'm so mad right now. I absolutely loathe Space Marines this month. So my vote is one. This is the worst WD I've seen in years. :mad:

-Malakai

Yea, I felt the same way. I kind of wanted to finish the continuation from last month, but the fact there was no other Fantasy in the issue made me leave it on the shelf. At least show some stuff from the studio or something. Humor a fantasy player. Maybe something new instead of just a follow up.

2 and being generous.

ThousandPlateaus
03-10-2008, 11:15
I just wanted to add how much I enjoyed the Blanchitsu article this month: it was a real treat. (Peculiarly, I had a dream recently that I'd read such an article and then there it was! Weird! I also had a dream I'd won the lottery and bought the Anaphelion base, so I'll let you all know when that comes true!)

I wish he'd said a little bit more about why he chooses to do certain things: ie- white undercoat, limited palette, etc, but nevertheless, I've read the article a few times this week alone (which I don't think I've done with a WD article in years) and it's been pretty inspirational: the urge to just create something and take a long time crafting and converting has been pretty strong in me since I picked it up, and it's reaffirmed my ideas for properly individualising my forces rather than necessarily keeping them 'as they should be'.

This is a real rarity in an column in WD these days: that reminder of why doing all this is fun, rather than simply imploring me to buy something. And it was a real treat to get to see some of John's miniature painting rather than his painting. Those Chaos Marines look seriously brilliant. And anything in a ruff is cool!

More like this please.

IAMNOTHERE
03-10-2008, 20:27
I havn't commented in one of these in a while but this one drove me to it.

All in all I'm glad WD is moving in this direction and I really can't comment on LoTR or WFB.

The hobby articles were interesting, it's good to see the basics covered along with some advanced tips. I remember when I first started using transferes and being miffed with the results.

Over all I think the catalogue issues are behind us now and I like the way they show case parts of the bits service in each issue.

What gripped my S*it was the 3 battle reports and how bad they were. The list selections although designed to show off the new codex were uninspired from both sides, five out of the 6 lists were dull. Especially the Chaos. The only interesting list was the Eldar because it wasn't falcon spam.

At times reading these I wondered if they were still playing 40k, just when does a battlecannon deviate 18" on 3 dice? Is this new?

It was a shame as I really look forward to the battle reports.

tassiewargamer
05-10-2008, 07:32
Ok I rated this months a 4
editorial good.

new releases 10 pages of space Marinz OMG aswome crap.

designers notes alright but not exellent.

evolution of the space marines was intreasting but I think could of focused a bit more on the other troop types.

Warhammer raids good article very intreasting.

TO4G: get rid of it please :cries:

Magic of middle earth. nothing that I already knew.

battle reports. ******* **** ****

Blanchitsu best article in over a ages :D:D

Elrond masterclass alright.

Drybrushing:wtf:

Better than last issue but needs to improve up to the issues earlier this year.

Jedi152
06-10-2008, 09:13
Good: Blanchitsu. The man is a legend.

Bad: Marines. Most wasn't too bad, history article and designers notes were good, but why show us the sprue breakdown or something that's already out, just with new guns? Why not the brand new and long awaited drop-pod?

dancingmonkey
06-10-2008, 12:47
The first issue of my new non WD reading status. I had a look through in WHSmiths yesterday and realised I made the right choice. This issue is very blue isn't it.

To be expected, but at the end of the day the Marine army hasn't really changed much in terms of releases, just newer versions of old ideas and some extra characters.

The To4G just doesn't inspire and the lack of fantasy make it of limited use to me.

The painting article was a joke. We have seen these same pages and pics time and again now. Bring back the old super detaikled model walk throughs (preferably before they started makiing up the clours and steps used!) form the early LOTR era (yes some good things came of LOTR sportsfans..)

Having just recieved issue 20 of NQM, I am so gad I spen my pennies elsewhere. Pick it up if you haven't if only to see what a true gaming mag looks like. Their To4G is amazing, especially in the face of the "you can't convert WM figures crowd".

a lowly 2 from me...

ThunderShrike.
09-10-2008, 22:24
It was a relatively well done white dwarf actually.

cailus
13-10-2008, 01:52
Gave it a 4. The Blanche article was cool as was some of the Marine history (though there should've been more). I also like the raids article. The bat reps were ok as in they showed the diversity of the new codex but for the most part the articles were dull or pointless.

Miggidy Mack
25-10-2008, 20:10
Tale of 4 gamers angered me as well. They are clearly unwilling to limit the financial resources of the guys building the armies. How tough would it have been to limit them to $35 a month, with past month money flowing over.

Really annoying. The overt business aspect of the magazine is really starting to grate on em.