PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts High Elves, possible GT list

mrspadge
16-09-2008, 08:23
well, i have posted my ideas for a bretonnian army before, i just dont feel confident using them....

so i am looking at other armies, i will be postin a wood elves list soon as well.

but for now, a smaller than usual high elf army:

Lord - High Elf Prince - 637pts
- great weapon
- longbow
- armour of caledor
- vambraces of defence
- amulet of light
- star dragon mount

Hero - Dragon Mage - 435pts
- Lv 2 mage
- 2 dispel scrolls
- silver wand

Core - 10 Archers - 110pts

Core - 10 Archers - 110pts

Special - 11 Dragon Princes - 420pts
- full command
- magic banner, standard of balance

Special - 5 Elryllian Reavers - 95pts
- bows instead of spears

Special - 6 Shadow Warriors - 96pts

Special - 6 Shadow Warriors - 96pts

TOTAL POINTS - 1999

power dice - 4
dispel dice - 3 (plus 2 scrolls)
kill points - 13

the prince has a great weapon for 2 reasons:

1) the axe looks awesome
2) if the dragon is ever killed, he resorts to a constant str 6 (rather than wasting a lance)

the dragon mage will be the harrassing dragon, jumping behind things to march block/cause terror tests/irritate light infantry with its breath weapon etc. he may also combine a charge with the prince against harder units.

the archers are compulsory point fillers, though they can certainly put some hurt on war machines if needed.

the dragon prince unit is huge, i know. but it does mean that i have THREE massive targets for my opponents to choose between, the weakest of these being the sun dragon. i expect a lot of dwarf gunlines to have runes of fire so this squad could certainly cause some hurt there. i had 31pts spare so i bought an 11th guy to give me an abletive wound and still keep my rank bonus (not "really" needed, but still handy)

the reavers and shadow warriors will be march blocking and war machine hunting (though without their spears, the reavers will probably be avoiding dwarf artillery, i still figure i'll get more use from bows than spears though)

i dont have champions (or other command models for that matter) in the shadow warriors or reavers becuase it makes them worth 2 KP rather than 1. i have seen quite a few GT lists over the last couple of weeks and most have 16+KP to throw around (i've seen a list with 23KP :eek: )

i think i can pick my fights well enough to take on daemons... (especially as all my combat units are immune to psychology and one negates hatred and frenzy), but i cant actually see a reliable way to take on vampires. i think that i will simply HAVE to throw my lord at theirs and hope i can make their army crumble.

should i face a bloodthirster, i expect to loose the dragon princes....

but i dont think a thirster will be able to win against two dragons, so with some positioning, i should be able to charge it....

and with no magic weapons in the army, i am not affraid of the obsidian armour (my lord has magic attacks, not a magic weapon :D)

ethereals will be a problem for this list, the only two models i have that can deal with them are the lord and the dragon mage...... some fireballs may help but i will probably try to ignore them. banshees/cairn wraiths will be charged by the lord though, i hate those things!

anyway, would it work :D

The Red Scourge
16-09-2008, 08:50
Why the biiiig unit of Dragon Princes? Two units would work much better.

Should you charge a BT with double dragons, whats to hold him from challenging. Then you've 1072 pts locked in combat, where chances are that you might lose both.

I agree on not using a lance on the Prince though. The dragon itself has enough S7 attacks if that is needed. And his ASF will negate the drawback of the GW. Perhaps the +extra attacks HE sword is worth considering?

mrspadge
16-09-2008, 09:03
Why the biiiig unit of Dragon Princes? Two units would work much better.

yes they would. but htey give up twice as many kill points and are twice as easy to destroy.

with GT in mind, i like the idea of a massive unit that is drawing fire away from the dragons (especially the mage)

Should you charge a BT with double dragons, whats to hold him from challenging. Then you've 1072 pts locked in combat, where chances are that you might lose both.

i'm not sure a thirster will "happily" take down that high elf prince.

unless he has the awesome strength upgrade but i cant really see that happening as he wont have obsidian armour (much more useful)

i'd love him to challenge me with a firestorm blade, if i find out he has that, he wont be taking down ANY dragon princes :D

but a typical thirster, i think that my lord can hold his own agaisnt one. 6 str 7 attacks and 4 str 5 attacks should put a wound or 2 on the big guy, and either he is str 7 and cant actually wound my lord, or str 6 and wounding him on 2is with me getting a 5+re-rolling armour save and a 4+ward.

he could always go for the dragon, but even the firestorm blade needs 3's to wound. i think a thirster has what.... 6 attacks.... 3's and 3's would give him about 3 wounds on the dragon, with me getting no save....

it is a big risk i admit, but i need to have some idea about what i'll do...

I agree on not using a lance on the Prince though. The dragon itself has enough S7 attacks if that is needed. And his ASF will negate the drawback of the GW. Perhaps the +extra attacks HE sword is worth considering?
that sword costs so many points that i cant really see the worth of it....

it gives him 7 attacks, but only at str 4. against zombies and goblins it is awesome, but i cant see why a lord on a dragon would be engaging them. str 5 gives me a reasonable punch against anyone i think and means i have the points for the defensive stuff the lord has

i'm open to ideas on what to swap some dragon princes for, but i am worried about kill points so either cheap units or massive block regiments are the order of the day....

Makarion
16-09-2008, 15:55
It looks pretty good to me. I'd be tempted to drop a shadow warrior off both units for a 12th dragon prince (two ranks of 6).

mrspadge
17-09-2008, 07:40
It looks pretty good to me. I'd be tempted to drop a shadow warrior off both units for a 12th dragon prince (two ranks of 6).

i actually like the sound of that..... would save me 6 as well :D

i'm not decided on what army to take though......... its either this list, my "uncatchable" wood elf list or my bretonnians (probably my most powerful army, but i only have 5 units + characters)

PARTYCHICORITA
17-09-2008, 12:28
I would drop the bow (and take the spears) on the reavers and the character, a unit of shadow warriors and the champion on the Dragon princes (20pts for 1A in a unit that has 12+ seems silly) and get 2 great eagles (no eagles? :wtf:) and split the big unit of DP in 2, the other one with the banner of ellyrion.

If you insist on taking the huge unit of DP i would take the banner of Ellyrion over the standard of balance. First because ignore terrain is awesome, second because i hate the idea of HE that can not chose to flee from a charge.

mrspadge
17-09-2008, 14:39
I would drop the bow (and take the spears) on the reavers and the character[...]

i like the BS6 bow shot and for 10pts it's points are negligible, not sure what i'd swap it for.

but i hate the idea of my fast cavalry not being able to engage the opponents in the shooting phase. wood elves are my first army so i know where to pick my battles, the shooting allows them to threaten war machines and small units from the word GO

[drop][...] a unit of shadow warriors and the champion on the Dragon princes (20pts for 1A in a unit that has 12+ seems silly) and get 2 great eagles (no eagles? :wtf:) and split the big unit of DP in 2, the other one with the banner of ellyrion.[...]

i went for the standard of balance because even with Ld 9, i dont want to be failing fear/terror checks. i dont care how low the odds are, the odd are better if i'm immune to them ;).

i can see the use of eagles but short of sacrificing them to draw out fanatics (and thus giving up 1KP each), i dont think they have anything over the shadow warrors.

i like the idea of splitting the DP, but i dont like kill points, i think they will break most armies.

If you insist on taking the huge unit of DP i would take the banner of Ellyrion over the standard of balance. First because ignore terrain is awesome, second because i hate the idea of HE that can not chose to flee from a charge.
its not that i'm insisting on the big unit, its that i havent heard a good argument (with the objectives in mind) to suggest why having the extra 2KP is worth making the units easier to destroy (4 kills as opposed to 10 to reduce them below scoring)

i'm up for suggestions....

perhaps a standard bearer instead of the dragon mage (with the ellyrion banner) in another DP unit (robbing a few models from the big unit). just a thought.