PDA

View Full Version : Back into the game (new to 7th ed) Tombkings 2k

Jonik
16-09-2008, 15:31
Here's what I've planned - it's gone through a few tweaks everytime I find a new rule (last time I played was 6th ed)

I'm happy with most things, apart from the magic items and banners. Maybe. Oh and the tomb swarms... What do you think?

Tomb King
chariot, light armour
flail of skulls, crown of kings

Tomb prince
Chariot, light armour, flail
Chariot of fire

Liche Priest (H)
cloak of the dunes
plaques

Liche Priest
casket of souls, dispell x2

4 Chariots
banner, icon of sacred eye
King goes in this unit

4 chariots
(Prince in this unit)
banner, Banner of undying legion

4 Tomb swarms

5 carrion (denies rank now)

Tomb scorpion

Tomb scorpion

Screaming Skull catapult, skulls of the foe

(Casket, as already noted)

1987pts - room for 13 more?

Cheers guys :)

Makarion
16-09-2008, 15:49
Two priests is sadly just not viable in most games of warhammer for the Tomb Kings - you won't get more than maybe one incantation off per turn against a well-prepared player, even with the Casket.

It's otherwise interesting that you have completely ignore skeletons. I agree that they are, by current rules, slightly expensive, but I'd have included at least a unit of 10 with bows to more or less shield the casket - and another for the catapult.

Jonik
16-09-2008, 17:56
Well, the tomb swarms were to defend, but I could get 22.5 skelleton bowmen for the same price - ie 2 units of 10 (or 12 since I have extra points spare!)

What I wonder, won't they get in the way of the casket's abilities?

And as for magic, is the only viable way spamming priests then?

Shamfrit
16-09-2008, 18:52
To be fair Tomb King Magic can run effectively with a King, two priests and an Icon Bearer. You might only be casting 4 incantations per turn (I take the Bound Spell banner to add to the pressure and give you more staying power) which won't all be dispelled. Heiratic Jars can give you an extra spell, and the re-roll Incantation Plaque is essential for avoiding those nasty rolls of 1/2.

I have played very few times with and against Tomb Kings but one thing I recommend is to go character light, except on your Heirophant (your above set-up is perfect) and to give the Tomb King a solo role - make the Chariot US5, protect him with Scorpion Armour and the Collar of Shapesh and let him scoot around flanking units or chasing down Greater Daemons as he is most effective. Once he's set in place as a flanker, Shapesh will be in range to transfer.

Skeletons are not essential. I don't think they're overpriced, a unit of 10 is all you're going to need, with Bows, in a line. Take 2-3 of these units to perform screening duties and you'll be able to lay down suppressing fire with the use of your limited but effective (you never fail your casting rolls, and you never miscast!) Incantation. If you wish, switch the King for a Liche Priest to get two Incantations at 2d6 power, you've enough points if you don't take a Casket (which is otherwise known as 'Sitting Duck,') at least around here. After my opponent losing his Heirophant on turn two thanks to Azhag the slaughter flying over, and prodding him.

With not being able to march and having less movement spells, your list might look good on paper, and have an effective out charging ability, but your opponent can set-u and get into position with an extra turn or two; potentially leaving you lying in the sand (cough cough.)

Hope some of this helps!

Jonik
16-09-2008, 19:12
To be fair Tomb King Magic can run effectively with a King, two priests and an Icon Bearer. You might only be casting 4 incantations per turn (I take the Bound Spell banner to add to the pressure and give you more staying power) which won't all be dispelled. Heiratic Jars can give you an extra spell, and the re-roll Incantation Plaque is essential for avoiding those nasty rolls of 1/2.

I'm not seeing the point in the icon bearer... I already have the bound item banner, on a normal standard bearer, in the prince's chariot unit. The prince also gets an incantation off, where as the icon bearer does not.

I also have the plaques on my Heirophant, so he should be able to wizz round and make sure the spells go off (or at least force dispell dice)

I have played very few times with and against Tomb Kings but one thing I recommend is to go character light, except on your Heirophant (your above set-up is perfect) and to give the Tomb King a solo role - make the Chariot US5, protect him with Scorpion Armour and the Collar of Shapesh and let him scoot around flanking units or chasing down Greater Daemons as he is most effective. Once he's set in place as a flanker, Shapesh will be in range to transfer.

I'm struggling to see that the collar of shapesh would do anything on a lone King... until he's back with a unit. plus, wouldn't a flying king then be the best combo if he's going solo? And I think I'd prefer him on a chariot anyway - he's the most deadly unit in the army.

Skeletons are not essential. I don't think they're overpriced, a unit of 10 is all you're going to need, with Bows, in a line. Take 2-3 of these units to perform screening duties and you'll be able to lay down suppressing fire with the use of your limited but effective (you never fail your casting rolls, and you never miscast!) Incantation. If you wish, switch the King for a Liche Priest to get two Incantations at 2d6 power, you've enough points if you don't take a Casket (which is otherwise known as 'Sitting Duck,') at least around here. After my opponent losing his Heirophant on turn two thanks to Azhag the slaughter flying over, and prodding him.

So not a fan of the casket then? In which case, how about the catapult? They both provide some heavy hitting, and neither has the heirophant in.

Would you suggest the skelleton bowmen over the tomb swarms then?

Cheers for the input :)

A rules question - am I allowed to have both chariot units to have a different magical banner each? I can't see anywhere in the rulebooks but have seen it written in various places - if there is, can I have a page number?

Thanks again!

Shamfrit
16-09-2008, 19:42
I'm not seeing the point in the icon bearer... I already have the bound item banner, on a normal standard bearer, in the prince's chariot unit. The prince also gets an incantation off, where as the icon bearer does not.

I apologise, the Icon Bearer was meant to be in a separate point but I got sidetracked. A Battle Standard in an Undead army is a blanket protection unit, that reduction of one for crumbling can make every difference to the outcome of a game, as well as offering a +1 CR bonus. You might suggest he's not very well defended, but, either avoid combat with him (skimming a +1 wound to everything nearby) or don't take a magic banner and mount/magic armour him.) Not to mention he combines very nicely with the Tomb King's Scorpion Armour.

I also have the plaques on my Heirophant, so he should be able to wizz round and make sure the spells go off (or at least force dispell dice)

And I did point out that his set-up was very nice indeed, perfect in fact, for a Hero level Heirophant that is - a lord requires a little more careful attention.

I'm struggling to see that the collar of shapesh would do anything on a lone King... until he's back with a unit. plus, wouldn't a flying king then be the best combo if he's going solo? And I think I'd prefer him on a chariot anyway - he's the most deadly unit in the army.

For starters he can't charge as a flyer, making him reliant on an already weak magic phase you possess. The Collar of Shapesh works incredibly well with the Scorpion Armour, the US5 Chariot and a flank attack. He negates ranks, is harder to kill, and transfers his wounds to the front attacking unit or the carrion you can keep close by as screens. The Collar is probably one of the best items available to the Tomb Kings, with the exception of the Destroyed of Eternities.

So not a fan of the casket then? In which case, how about the catapult? They both provide some heavy hitting, and neither has the heirophant in.

Good god, don't get me wrong, I adore the Casket of Souls, what I don't approve of however is a Heirophant sat on top of it! Having the Crumbling of your army occur because you put your 'general' on top of an immovable object is not the best of outcomes for a game. A normal priest however, reduces your losses.

Would you suggest the skelleton bowmen over the tomb swarms then?

Absolutely! Swarms, even Tunneling ones are not effective anymore. You've got Tomb Scorpions to cover War Machine Hunting, and Swarms are 'small' so don't 'shield' anything at all. Flyers and quick units such as skirmishers can simply scoot over or around them, and cavalry will plough through them straight into the Casket with an overrun. Skeletons will always be more productive.

Cheers for the input :)

You are more than welcome! I enjoy writing these for some bizzare reason :confused:

A rules question - am I allowed to have both chariot units to have a different magical banner each? I can't see anywhere in the rulebooks but have seen it written in various places - if there is, can I have a page number?

I am afraid there is a limit to Chariots possessing magical banners (Max 1.) I am going on Army Builder here, as I do not possess the Army Book itself - but it's been covered before I'm sure.

Jonik
16-09-2008, 20:09
Arg! It's in smallprint under the chariot listing, "one unit may choose" bugger it

Right then, the Icon will have to go, as I need the bound spell, leaving me with 63pts (83 if I take the standard away from the chariots, 103 if I replace the tomb swarms with 2x10 bowmen)

What would you suggest I do with the points? :)

Shamfrit
16-09-2008, 20:16
Another unit of 10 Bowmen, and musicians for all of your bowmen units, on the off chance that you draw against Furies or Nightrunners (which is possible?)

Jonik
16-09-2008, 20:52
Would the 3rd unit of bowmen be preferably to more magic items for the king? I'm guessing the extra bodies would be, as magic items are pretty good atm.

Shamfrit
16-09-2008, 22:53
10 Skellies does more than a pretty trinkitszz!

Why, what did you have in mind?

Makarion
17-09-2008, 00:01
If you insist on a King, I'd strongly urge to get 3 priests and the Banner of Undying Legion, plus the Hieratic Jar. That way, you have a moderately potent magic phase, which is critical.

I'd be tempted to also include the Casket, but only if you are willing to give the Collar of Shapesh to the priest manning it (and to keep some archers nearby, obviously). Otherwise, flyers will likely wreck you day someday soon.

Jonik
17-09-2008, 12:37
Hmmm... I'm picking up vibes (;)) from here and from tacticas and stuff, that magic is essential to actually stand a good chance of winning.

Is the king viable, but only if you have 3 priests?

Is it better to have a high priest, 2 princes (in chariots) and a priest?

Is it better to have a high priest, 2 priests and a prince (in chariot)?

In which ever case is best (in your oppinion) - which magic items would you give them?

I've quickly toyed with the idea of HP, 2xpriest and a prince, but I struggled to get the magic items sorted. Not enough points for the prince, and what does the extra priest do?