PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love DA (part II)

HsojVvad
16-09-2008, 18:34
I had this post before, but it was when 4th edtion was around. Now that 5th edtion has been here for a bit, I wunder if peoples minds have changed.

So why do you love the DA. Is it the fluff? The models? The rules?

I would like to read some of your DA stories as well if you have any to share.

Also I believe we can say what makes you so upset with the new rules of C:SM and how it reflects the DA codex. But please if you do that, keep it from coming into a flame fest. This is after all how we love DA and why we are pationate about them. I can understand for being upset but keep it respectfull and no flaming. If you have a beef, explain why.

taffeh
16-09-2008, 20:55
I've seen a few posts regarding this topic but i'd still post again:

1) Space Hulk - im an aged veteran of that - so Deathwing vs Genesteelers - Termies got their asses handed to us alot but it was still fun - (kinda why Im starting assembling a load of steeler sprues ive had around the house for a while now since all the **** hit the fan for us)

2) Codex Angels of Death - 2 for the price of 1 back in 2nd ed. I picked it up, done BA for a while as a child thinking red was a nice colour then I actually READ the DA section and instantly fell in love - the entire unforgiven thing - oh and PLASMA! DA were the original plasma totting marines (So was vansaar in Necromunda if i remember right - and I had them as my only gang too!)

3) Ravenwing - outside of White Scars its the most famous marine bikers!

4) Gav Thorpe loosing a 1500pt battle just after C:AoD in i think issue 194 or something also turned my head alot - ye ok DA lost but just reading it and what DA could do - Azrael and his Jawa salesman just were ace!

5) Not being 'vanilla' - being something that was normal + extras. I think thats now offically been stripped and turned around to the other way.... Ok we're the only 1 who can take termies as troops, but I've played enough battles with termies to know that they dont stand up to good dice rolls!

Ive got more and could go on....

But I really do feel disappointed with the new marine codex - in terms of us getting buggered on 'set squad sizes' / hardly any wargear / Belial is a bit meh! and no Namaan / Mr I am hard Interogator Chaplain!

AngryAngel
17-09-2008, 00:20
I love them because of their fluff and what they stand for. Stubborn resistance against impossible odds. Their quiet quest to regain their lost honor. Kinda nice to play marines with a secondary motive for why they do what they do.

Could go into more, but I'll hold it there for now.

Lion El Jason
17-09-2008, 01:02

This is almost heresy. Ravenwing were the "Biker army" long before someone working at head office got his army made awesome at our expense and the DA bit got slowly forgotten...

victorpofa
17-09-2008, 01:35
I like the Ravenwing. That is what drew me to them. Now I am also making a standard army, and with Black Reach, a Deathwing army too. :evilgrin:

I like the models and detailed iconography, though I will likely change my mind about that once painting commences like I did with my old metal bodied Space Wolf army. :cries: Oh, and they can be rivals with my Space Wolves. :D:p

==Me==
17-09-2008, 03:03
Deathwing and the Hunt for the Fallen. If you boil down everything the DA represent to its core, you have them. I love Terminators, I love Dreadnoughts, I love Land Raiders. The eternal, nay endless, quest for redemption against impossible odds shows just how devoted and determined the Dark Angels are. They will fight to the very last to preserve their secrets, to hide their shame, and to ultimately gain absolution for past sins.

It doesn't get any better than that, and no rule or power issue will ever take that away. Rules come and go, the Hunt is eternal and the sons of the Lion will never relent until the sword is reforged.

byteboy
17-09-2008, 06:04
I love my Deathwing army. Having all Terminators is really cool. Suffice to say, 2+ armor is not hard to beat. I have been hosed by IG Lasguns........... I may not win alot, but I still look good losing :cool:

Starchild
17-09-2008, 06:16
I like the DAs for the reasons listed under "Why Play Dark Angels?" in the front of the book.

That, and I like the fact that I can't cheese out the army list, even if I want to. Oh, and Techmarines that don't take up any Elites slots? Sign me up, I'm an Adeptus Mechanicus fan! :chrome: :skull:

Ronin_eX
17-09-2008, 06:27
I've seen a few posts regarding this topic but i'd still post again:

1) Space Hulk - im an aged veteran of that - so Deathwing vs Genesteelers - Termies got their asses handed to us alot but it was still fun - (kinda why Im starting assembling a load of steeler sprues ive had around the house for a while now since all the **** hit the fan for us)

Ah Space Hulk, source of some of the most fun and intense gameplay ever and source of the best piece of 40k fiction ever to boot.

2) Codex Angels of Death - 2 for the price of 1 back in 2nd ed. I picked it up, done BA for a while as a child thinking red was a nice colour then I actually READ the DA section and instantly fell in love - the entire unforgiven thing - oh and PLASMA! DA were the original plasma totting marines (So was vansaar in Necromunda if i remember right - and I had them as my only gang too!)

Still a favourite read of mine. My love actually started when I was reading the painting pamphlet in the 2nd Edition box. I saw the Dark Angels paint scheme and was fixated. Then I read their background and I was hooked.

White Scars who?

The Ravenwing are the first and only biker unit. White Scars are just a mounted chapter with a Mongolian theme (no offense to WS players but we were here first :p).

4) Gav Thorpe loosing a 1500pt battle just after C:AoD in i think issue 194 or something also turned my head alot - ye ok DA lost but just reading it and what DA could do - Azrael and his Jawa salesman just were ace!

My first White Dwarf ever that one was. Even though the DA lost they suffered only two casualties and lost by only one victory point (had Gav made that save against Kop Dis he would have won). It was amazing and it hooked me completely on the idea of the mean green marines.

Ive got more and could go on....

But I really do feel disappointed with the new marine codex - in terms of us getting buggered on 'set squad sizes' / hardly any wargear / Belial is a bit meh! and no Namaan / Mr I am hard Interogator Chaplain!

Brother? :p

ThunderShrike.
17-09-2008, 07:23
I had this post before, but it was when 4th edtion was around. Now that 5th edtion has been here for a bit, I wunder if peoples minds have changed.

So why do you love the DA. Is it the fluff? The models? The rules?

I would like to read some of your DA stories as well if you have any to share.

Also I believe we can say what makes you so upset with the new rules of C:SM and how it reflects the DA codex. But please if you do that, keep it from coming into a flame fest. This is after all how we love DA and why we are pationate about them. I can understand for being upset but keep it respectfull and no flaming. If you have a beef, explain why.

Gots some of D/W R/W thats not painted.

Frankly the Dark Angels need to "lighten up and get a life", as john said.

Whats the deal with The Fallen and Cypher, and that fancy sword which he never uses.

taffeh
17-09-2008, 08:43
This is almost heresy. Ravenwing were the "Biker army" long before someone working at head office got his army made awesome at our expense and the DA bit got slowly forgotten...

Lots happened in 12 years whilst I was away from the game (I discovered alcohol for one, and it probibly is responsible for my bad memory!) - I Remember checking the GW website occasionally and seeing the White Scars and thinking 'oh I could come back and do these!'

My bad memory really! Example: It hit me last nite that IG used to be able to leave their heavy weapons / loaders behind n move on.... I dont know why it was such a revalation to me as I'm sure I remembered this a few months ago!