PDA

View Full Version : DE mainly Cavalry (2250)

Chain
16-09-2008, 18:44
Wanted to try and make another kind of Army so main focus on Cavalry in this one.

May I acquire Your thoughts and suggestions on improvements to this Army list?

Malekith- On Cold One

Malus Dark Blade

10 COK, Musician & Standard(Of Hag Graef)

Sorceress lvl 2
Dark Steed
Ring Of Darkness

5 Dark Riders. Rxb, Musician

Sorceress lvl 2
Dark Steed
Cloak of Hag Graef, Tome of Furion

5 Shades, Great Weapon

5 Shades

1 Hydra

10 Dark Elf Warriors, Musician

Cannons and Flanking is a risk, though the Cannons could be occupied with the shades and the Flanking I'll be Blasting with Magic.

Shamfrit
16-09-2008, 19:09
May I acquire Your thoughts and suggestions on improvements to this Army list?

You can indeed! So, down to the nitty gritty; don't take anything I say too harsh, I'm a man on a 'review every army list' mission :D

Malekith- On Cold One

Malus Dark Blade

10 COK, Musician & Standard(Of Hag Graef)

I presume the way in which you've separated each entry into 'units' or 'detachments' indicates that this is where the appropriate characters will be positioned during deployment? I am going to take this as being the case, and get straight to it - I am a fan of using special characters, don't get me wrong, but 1234 (nice!) points on one unit of cavalry is utterly, utterly absurd. If this unit dies or gets stuck in a combat it can't win (with the amount of Unbreakable/Unfeeling units around these days this is very likely) you've lost the game as your killing power and points are here. If this goes, like a Slann or a Greater Daemon, you've lost already. That being said...it is a very difficult unit to break, ASF on Malekith and Malus alone alongside the removal of stupidity will mean you've got the movement side covered, and you've got got MR2 to give you defence. But your opponent, if they've any worth will have read special character rules ages ago, and know exactly what this unit is capable of. Either choosing to ignore it, or chosing to fire everything they have at it to win themselves the game before it's begun. I really don't think you need Malekith, Malus, by all means, his removal of Stupidity is vital as is his added combat potential but those extra 600 points can net you a Dreadlord and an extra 300 points to spend on at least 2-3 more units. If you want to stick with him however, the choice is yours.

Sorceress lvl 2
Dark Steed
Ring Of Darkness

Ah, now I see what you're trying to do - protect each unit with ranged/magic defence. The Ring of Darkness will protect this unit well but at 6 models it won't take much fire to cause enough damage. I know Malekith's Absolute Power rule will mitigate that, but surely Dark Riders will be flanking? If you can keep them close then ignore me, I'd just prefer to use Sorceress's for magic, failing that, consider a Noble with the Seal of Ghrond if you're including her purely for Dispel Dice.

Sorceress lvl 2
Dark Steed
Cloak of Hag Graef, Tome of Furion

With Malekith being Lvl. 4 I don't see why you'd need 2 Lvl. 2s as well, especially without boosting your casting capability with the Dagger/Familiar.

5 Shades, Great Weapon

CHOPPY CHOPPY!

5 Shades

Shooty shooty!

1 Hydra

10 Dark Elf Warriors, Musician

Cannons and Flanking is a risk, though the Cannons could be occupied with the shades and the Flanking I'll be Blasting with Magic.

I'd go for more Dark Riders/a Dreadlord/Master in favour of Malekith, it's a strong list as it is, but very easy to beat since it's a one unit or nothing sort of affair.

Chain
16-09-2008, 21:08
Yeah I was considering that I might be making an overkill in the character department.

I suppose a 10 man wide Dark Rider Regiment shielding an returning fire infront of the COK might be nice, though as you said without em at the flanks it's lagging out there.

Perhaps having a 10 man wide DR regiment with Shield and Ring of Darkness infront with RxB and 2x 5 with RxB at the flanks.

So sacrificing the GW Shades, make the Sorceress with the Cloak lvl 1 and removing the cloak that's 213 points available.

117 points to get another 5 man team

for 88 Points I could get 4 more DR to the lvl 2's regiment that's 8 points available...

Hmm I'm not much for the Risk Of CC but I'll have to remove the RXBs from the ones with the lvl 1 and give em shields instead so that's 28 Points available so that's 9 points going to give the lvl 2's unit Shields and with the remaining 19 I'll add a standard at the lvl 1's unit and give light Armor To the Shades

so back at 2250 points.

I'm going to make it more readable.

So the Army Now looks like this:

Malekith- On Cold One

Malus Dark Blade

10 CoK, Musician & Standard(Of Hag Graef)

Sorceress lvl 2
Dark Steed
Ring Of Darkness

9 Dark Riders. Rxb, Musician, Shields

Sorceress lvl 1
Dark Steed
Tome of Furion

5 Dark Riders. Musician,Standard,Shields

5 Shades, Light Armor

1 Hydra

5 Dark Riders RxB, Musician

Points Total= 2250

PARTYCHICORITA
17-09-2008, 03:44
I was about to ask you if you were sure if those were more than 2k points and then i saw Malekith... hehe... personally i hate how you wrote the list, i had trouble reading. Well, back on topic:

-I would drop Malekith, he ain't that great for his points IMO, Lvl4 sorceress on black dragon+pendant+familiar+magical xbow is better.
-I don't like cavalry units where half the models don't attack, i would split them
-Where are the harpies? get at least 2 units of 5, they rule
-You have a rather odd choice of items for your characters. I would go for scrolls and maybe a ring of hotek for the COK's champion
-I would drop the unit of shades without weapons and the warriors.

good luck