PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen 2000pts revised! Fluff included. Take a look

WhiteStar
10-11-2005, 16:44
The story is of two cast out shamans that were cast out from their tribe. They have concentrated their efforts in gathering a tribe that will once again take back the lands from which they were banished.

They have travled and ambushed races all over the known world, taking especially chariots as prizes. They are here for revenge, so let the conquering begin!

Hi! I'm back to plague you with the third (and final?) incarnation of my undivided beast force! In this last version I have dropped two more chariots (what am I doing??) and added two units of daemons! I have the Screamers and Furies for taking out warmachines on turn two and hunting lone mages aswell as marchblocking critical enemy units. The screamer ability to make autohits on lone characters really appealed to me. There is still a chance that I'll field only one unit of demons (the Screamers) and have the ten chariots I planned to have.One unit will definately be there to take out that pesky cannon/hellblaster/stonethrower.

Any new comments on this turn of events?

Beasts of The Night

--------------
Heroes
--------------

Bray Shaman Gothror @ 125 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; General; Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll x 2
---
Bray Shaman Largogr @ 125 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll x 2
---

--------------
Core
--------------

3x5 Chaos Warhounds @ 90 Pts
---
9x Tuskgor Chariot @ 765 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided
---
4x7 Beast Herd (Gors) @ 432 Pts
2ndWeapon

1 Foe-Render @

8 Ungors @
Spear

--------------
Special
--------------

3 Screamers 99 Pts
---
6 Furies 90 pts
---
2x3 Minotaurs 276 Pts
GW's, MoCU
---
Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 90

Total Army Cost: 1998

Any ideas or suggestions?

Lord Anathir
11-11-2005, 00:31
lolol...9 chariots. thats gonna cause some headaches. very fast, flying skirmishers to take out warmachines, chariots, warmachines, 4 strong beast herds (probably the best core unit in the game).

the only prob i can see is leadership. Bray Shammans have ld 8? thats not very good. in such a packed deployment with lots of units (ie chariots) if one chariots destroyed, thats a lot of panic checks for those units beside them.

WhiteStar
11-11-2005, 08:06
Thanks! I originally featured five herds and twelve chariots, I find this works better!

Bray-Shamans infact have ld 6! They are not there to give ld to anything but the dogs, as all the other units in the army bar the dogs have a better ld than the general. My chariots have ld 7 aswell as my herds (Foerender), never minding the Daemons.

Any ideas on ambushing? Depends alot on the opponent, but I guess I have to assess where I need the herds the most, for screening or ambushing. Against block units, the chariots will eat them alive. Assuming I get three into combat, we are talking a good 15-20 casualities. Then we have the daemons and hounds combining the charges, making a fleeing a risk proposition. The Minotaurs are there simply to deal som extra punishment where needed.

WhiteStar
14-11-2005, 22:23
Would be cool to hear how you guys would counter this. It would give me some addtional pointers as how to let the list evolve.

Thanks!

neXus6
15-11-2005, 10:13
Well you biggest weakness is magic, I personally can not stand scroll caddies Beasts have so many cool items for their shamans, on top of which if your opponent has 1 good magic phase your left with no defence.
The low Ld is going to be a big problem, as is the T4 of the chariots, they are very easy targets and with an army this size there will be a lot of troops within unit destroyed moral check range.

In 2000pts I'd be taking a Beastlord, a BSB, 2 lvl 2 shamans with a couple of scrolls and some other equipment between them. 3 or 4 20 strong beast heards, 4 chariots, some hard hitting things like minotaurs, ogres or dragon ogres, some centigore and some speedy stuff like hounds or fliers.
I do like ambush, even if it goes wrong I just like using the characterful rules of an army, that and it makes a change from the normal pitched battle.

A few points on your army, I don't think a unit of 6 furies will have much effect on the game, 15 might but not 6. Dropping a few chariots and getting some more characters and upping the size of your beast heards would probably be a good choice. With a propper leader the upped heards become worth taking.
Really your army would start having trouble once a few of the chariots go down/flee, at T4 they are not the hardest things to hurt and after a few rounds of shooting and magic you will probably lose atleast half of them. The beast heards only need to lose 4 models to be taking panic checks. The minotaur units become a target for any shooting and magic that can't see the chariots, and they would be a great target for enemy cavalry.
Even if you only get 1 unit to ambush where you want it to, the distraction on enemy shooting, or the damage they can do if igored make it worth it, and it's characterful. :)

Crube
15-11-2005, 10:18
I like the idea, however, i think you will suffer with the low Ld. Especially against armies such as Undead, and those with spells that rely on Ld tests...eg Slaanesh (IIRC)

I would agree that taking a Beastlord, as NeXus6 suggests should go someway to addressin gthis, but then it's not really in keeping with the character of your army.

Either way, should be fun to play, both with and against... :)

neXus6
15-11-2005, 10:26
Yeah it really has got the weaknesses to maked it balanced which is really nice to see. Like Crube said it's a pretty fun looking list.
:cool:

WhiteStar
15-11-2005, 10:39
Thanks!

It's funny how I posted a similar list earlier and people said it would be boring to play against. Nice to see opinions changing.

I recognize the low ld, but to remedy that I would need a Beastlord, and even that would only better things by one point. All my units except hounds and heroes have atleast ld 7. The good thing with the chariots when it comes to packed panic tests is the MOCU. They get to re-roll them.

The way nexus6 suggests my army will go down is quite interesting, since that would require a hell of alot of shooting. But true, that could happen.

The way 15 Furies would do the job is puzzling to me. Sure, they would be outnumbering enemies more often and would be more survivable, but their combat effectiveness wouldn't increase. On the other hand I might add some to the Screamers.

The most important thing here is to maximize the co-operation between the herds and the chariots and drawing those charges with the hounds. Then I have the deamons for warmachines, mages and marchblocking. The Mino's will deliver pain where needed. All in all there are 20 units plus characters, so lot's of manouvering and pieces to play with. Nothing is really expensive either.

On the point of magic, there wouldn't be much point in going more magic heavy without investing a s**tload of points. 2 lvl 2's will offer no more magic defence than these guys.

But thanks for the feedback! Keep 'em coming!

neXus6
15-11-2005, 10:53
Well yeah it does focus on a lot of shooting, or magic, and most armies have one or the other or both. The thing is there will usually be enough to break or kill off a couple of units and the moral damage will do the rest, maybe not so effective on the chariots but the hounds and herds might have a problem. You should be okay though. :)

The 15 furies thing was really just an exaduration, I just can't see 6 doing much, once they are seen to be targeting something they will be shot down ASAP.

Indeed 2 lvl 2s would offer no more magical defence, but it would give you 6 power dice so you might actually be able to get a spell off, bears anger can be quite helpful, as can movement spells.

WhiteStar
15-11-2005, 11:22
Yeah. But I see the investment in that much magic as expensiv. Making them lvl 2's costs 70 points. Then I would probably need to get the goretooth or SoD to justify my new angle, which would weaken my magic defence. No really, with six dice, no possibility to actually choose the spells I see it as an investement that simply make me concetrate the points without any sure gain.

Very true on the Furies, but they still have a wardsave and skirmish formation. Unless you field a Hellblaster/Organ Gun they should be pretty ok. And if they pour crazy amounts of fire into them (and the screamers?) it pretty much spares my main line.

The question here is pretty mcuh how to use the herds. Ambush behind enemy line? Simply as a shield that is -1 to hit (skirmish). There are lot's of possibilities.

neXus6
15-11-2005, 11:25
Well seeing as you can't ambush without at least a wargore. I think that's right anyway.

Moving through terrain trying not to get killed and charging anything that the chariots fail to break through bad luck.

WhiteStar
15-11-2005, 11:36
Uhmm... The Bray-Shamans have the ambush special-rule. I have nine units with the ambush special rule (both shamans, three units of hounds and four herds) which indicates that four units can be put into ambush if desired.

WhiteStar
21-11-2005, 18:57
More comments from people with good Warhammer knowledge greatly appreciated!

WhiteStar
29-11-2005, 22:31
Hmm...

Just saw some tough magiclists and shootinglists. How do you feel I will manage to get into CC with only four DD and four DS?

Also, I would also very much appreciate the comments seasoned users of cavalry and armourheavy armies have regarding this force.

Brother Edwin
29-11-2005, 23:04
The story is of two cast out shamans that were cast out from their tribe. They have concentrated their efforts in gathering a tribe that will once again take back the lands from which they were banished.

They have travled and ambushed races all over the known world, taking especially chariots as prizes. They are here for revenge, so let the conquering begin!

Hi! I'm back to plague you with the third (and final?) incarnation of my undivided beast force! In this last version I have dropped two more chariots (what am I doing??) and added two units of daemons! I have the Screamers and Furies for taking out warmachines on turn two and hunting lone mages aswell as marchblocking critical enemy units. The screamer ability to make autohits on lone characters really appealed to me. There is still a chance that I'll field only one unit of demons (the Screamers) and have the ten chariots I planned to have.One unit will definately be there to take out that pesky cannon/hellblaster/stonethrower.

Any new comments on this turn of events?

Beasts of The Night

--------------
Heroes
--------------

Bray Shaman Gothror @ 125 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; General; Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll x 2
---
Bray Shaman Largogr @ 125 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll x 2
---