PDA

View Full Version : Non DOW characters in DOW units

Tizz
17-09-2008, 05:35
Possible? I've search every GW resource availible to me, and no where in the DOW rules, Regiment of Renown rules, Big Red Book, or online errata can I find where it says it's not allowed. Can someone show me proof of where it says I can or cannot?

Faustburg
17-09-2008, 06:32
In previous FAQ's there was a 'No' on it, to limit Dark Elf Battlestandard bearers with basnners of bonus attacks, or hatred-inducing Empire Warrior priests, with pikemen or such, but it's nothing about it in the current sets of Errata documents...

So; By the spirit of the rules, no, by the letter, yes, go ahead.

Gazak Blacktoof
17-09-2008, 11:24
I don't think its even against the spirit of the rules. There's no rule broken and a lot of people use dogs of war as "counts as" models to represent differently equipped troops. For example some regions of the empire are supposed to have pike men but you can only get them using dogs of war- no harm in placing a warrior priest in the unit as far as I can see.

Its only as bad as placing a goblin in a unit of orcs to act as his "minderz".

EvC
17-09-2008, 12:31
There are some pretty abusive combinations in there, that's the main reason why it's against the spirit of the rules. I was watching a game where an Ogre player was putting his characters into a big unit of Halflings- pretty handy way to avoid getting smashed by cannons, and gain massive static CR for free. He and his opponent both agreed it was legal, but when the guy tried to claim that the Ogres can move through woods for free like Halflings, I couldn't let that go and quoted the rules at him, the dirty cheat.

There are so many possible abusive combos I think it should either be prohibited- or at least limited to fair-play conditions. Someone putting a High Elf BSB with Ellyrion Banner/ Scar Vet BSB with Huanchi/ etc. in a unit with Rhinox Riders is just taking the p*ss.

Gazak Blacktoof
17-09-2008, 14:29
I see what you mean but that's best judged on a case by case basis. Its not as if there are no horribly abusive combos in the army books.

If you're somebody that's a fluff gamer or at least a gamer that doesn't feel the need to squeeze ever last bit of power out of an army book then your opponent isn't going to give you a hard time about it. Whatever you've picked probably isn't going to be the nastiest combo you could take anyway.

If you play with a group of power gamers they might slap you on the back and say well done for finding another nasty trick.

EvC
17-09-2008, 16:19
It's one of those things that will always make me suspicious though. Like someone letting me set up terrain, just asks I don't put any buildings down, so he seems nice at first- then he gets his army out and it's nothing but monsters and cavalry. And on the converse, a Goblin player asking if he can have buildings in the middle of the table for fanatics- and then slingshotting them across the board after entering the table. And like in those cases, I have seen a fair few people join characters to DoW units- and they've all done so to get an unreasonable advantage. If it was just a Warrior Priest joining Pikemen I'd say cool... so yeah I agree, a case-by-case basis.

Tizz
17-09-2008, 17:49
Well like half of you have said the combo I want to use. A Warrior Priest leading my pikemen feels very fluffy to me, especially since it's all part of a mercenary heavy Empire army.

Some of those other combos mentioned, especially when dealing with Rinox Riders, that's just silly, who in their right mind could actually think something like that would be acceptable? Imagine the Vamps regen benner in that unit.