PDA

View Full Version : Odd question...

Edonil
17-09-2008, 13:28
Why do Chaos Warriors have a BS of 4? Or, for that matter, why does anything in the Chaos book (and various other books) have a stat that is above average...and never used. I mean, GW is either randomly assigning stat values for that, or we're paying extra points for something that isn't necessary. Black Guard have a decent BS, but can't get a bow, Warriors, and probably a ton of other stuff I'm too tired to think of. Anyone know why?

Thommy H
17-09-2008, 13:32
How do you know you're paying extra points for it?

Edonil
17-09-2008, 13:42
I'm not, really. To be honest, I don't think they're being used to jack up points...it's more that it's just really, really odd. It doesn't apply, so why do they have a value at all? Why not 0?

PARTYCHICORITA
17-09-2008, 13:48
To represent they are so pro that if they ever choose to throw your weapon at you they will hit with 3+ :rolleyes:

narrativium
17-09-2008, 16:28
You're not paying extra points for a BS you're not using. I would think there are many units which never use their BS, simply because they don't have the weapon options. Warmaster and Lord of the Rings profiles only include a shooting characteristic if the model has the ability; with Warhammer, they've chosen to be more complete.

Why? Scenarios. Most people play a pitched battle or similar but there are occasions where there might be a special rule and the developers assign an appropriate stat for their image of the creature. They might come up with rules for a hot potato bomb (targetted unit must use BS to throw bomb away before it explodes) or something. It's all a matter of preparing for situations they can't anticipate.

Braad
17-09-2008, 16:49
Why shouldn't they, indeed?

Maybe you might need it for something?
And I don't think it is a random thing, it is a value you might more or less expect on that unit.

Ethlorien
17-09-2008, 17:00
Because I once had a unit of them, and a unit of bestigors defending a Chaos Fortress and both units were armed with heavy crossbows. Fortress defended!

Lord Dan
17-09-2008, 17:44
Because it would look odd if the Black Guard statline ran like this:

M5
WS5
BS0
S3
T3
W1
I6
A2
Ld9

Just because they don't have the option to take bows doesn't mean if they picked one up they wouldn't know how to use it. I've done tons of custom scenarios (skirmish quite frequently) where models pick up weapons, have options to take ones they don't normally, or throw the ones they're holding.

Cherrystone
17-09-2008, 17:58
For scenarios, especially seiges where BS is used often to throw rocks and other nastyness,

Ethlorien
17-09-2008, 18:02
And if Chaos is playing against goblins . . . they just pick 'em up and toss 'em!

Ward.
18-09-2008, 04:47
Because that's the racial profile, which dates back to a time when a point formula for troops was used.

Kerill
18-09-2008, 05:22
And when chaos warriors had BS6