PDA

View Full Version : Heroic poses

Gideon
17-09-2008, 13:35
Why is it GW always seem to pose the Armies generals is static poses?

As this is a game where your armies battle one another I sumise that most players will build their respective force to be in battle like poses. Why is it then that GW when providing a new centrepiece still pose them stactically or in some heroic like stance.

I much prefer the action poses such as the new Pedro Kantar and Shrike, but the new Sicarius (both metal and plastic), and Telion look like statues.

The same goes for other factions like the new metal orks that were recently released (Big Mec's etc), Dark angels Chapter Masters both variations (box set and blister) and Eldar Autarch's.

I appreciate that many troop type figures are posed as if fighting but it just seems that the leaders often let the look of a battle hardened army down.

Whilst I can see the need for the heroic general surveying his army from the rear I think it would be nicer for heroic battle stances to take the lead in the modelling stakes.

Just wondered what the Warseer factions think.......?

vman
17-09-2008, 14:18
mmmmm i sense you have thought long and hard about this topic

think of it as looking humble, rather than static :)

Sceleris
17-09-2008, 14:38
I don't mind some of the more static looking heroes.

One thing is that some of the "heroic" poses that GW come up with have a tendancy to look way OOT and very "unrealistic" - the chaos lord with jump-pack and the new(ish) khorne lord both look daft IMHO (and personally I don't like Shrike for the same reason).

x-esiv-4c
17-09-2008, 14:41
Heroic poses are bad. TLOS allows people to snipe 'em off. ;)

Templar Ben
17-09-2008, 14:44
When people say heroic they often mean with sword or pistol outstreched. Models like that are more prone to damage and more difficult to transport.

Perhaps the market has responded to that and GW is filling that need?

Overt_Spy
17-09-2008, 16:46
When people say heroic they often mean with sword or pistol outstreched. Models like that are more prone to damage and more difficult to transport.

Perhaps the market has responded to that and GW is filling that need?

Good point, those mini's take up a lot of space and can be difficult to transport.

Although in Fantasy, most calvary and spear models are prone to the same difficulties, since their weapons are so long. Dunno if that applies as much to 40K, but in fantasy I'd figure most people have learned how best to deal with long relatively thin parts of their minis.

You can always convert models, just a simple arm swap / readjustment can make a figure look more 'heroic'. I personally don't mind, I think it's sometimes better if your general isn't leaping through the air with a long flowing cloak, since the majority of the army tends to have more static, general poses.

Malakai
17-09-2008, 17:00
Heroic poses are bad. TLOS allows people to snipe 'em off. ;)

As I've been into fantasy for the past year I haven't played fifth edition yet. But I find the fact that there is a rule for TLOS disturbing. I remember GW explaining that models were just a representation of the troops and in real life circumstances these people would be ducking behind cover etc. So are all of you guys removing the "hero rocks" from your HQ bases these days? Maybe modeling them flat on their stomachs? :rolleyes:

-Malakai

Phoenix Blaze
17-09-2008, 17:58
I think some static poses work. Like the new Sicarius, it speaks of "watching your army fight" and waiting to get stuck in. Tis cool.

About the Raptor lord, by the gods that's true. It's an awful pose and too "in the moment" but the Khorne Lord gets my stamp of approval. He's Khornate, he should be posed as if he was in the thick of it.

I tend to have my Generals not a combat pose, but in a pose none the less, be it pointing or just good positioning of the head along with the rest of the body can really help.

olmsted
17-09-2008, 19:44
you mean like any of the commissars including yarrick or the 13th company rune priests?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
17-09-2008, 19:57
The new Gamesday Captain with thunderhammer is probably the most dynamic metal model I've seen released in a while...

Phoenix Blaze
18-09-2008, 00:35
Quite true, it's one of the more Dynamic models from GW (besides say, the Howling Banshee Exarch, or the Harlequin Troupe Leader dude), but with that fact, I'm saddened that when it comes to dynamic poses, GW falls short of the mark compared to say, Infinity, (albeit some of the models from that range have crazy ass poses).

PondaNagura
18-09-2008, 00:43
eh, part of it comes down to the limitations of production. metal has the advantage of a little more flexibility in how they form characters, however for more dynamic poses, it might mean more pieces, and we all know the wonders of assembling all-metal models.
as for producing them in plastic, well it's just not economically sound to do so, when you only sell maybe a few hundred a year, if that.

there's always converting

Grimbad
18-09-2008, 01:42
The problems come when they make models like the 'order tons of stuff from our online store' space marine, which has an ultra-heroic powerpose, excessive bling, and a ruined city bit on its base. The pose on its own would have been okay, the bling on its own would have been okay, and the terrain on its own would have been okay, but when you combine them you end up with a space marine who looks like a ***** standing on a rock that presumably he has chapter serfs haul around whenever he's not fighting in a city. I think that the models should not be reliant on a dramatic pose, bling, or terrain, but that these things should be added if it would improve the model.

sabre4190
18-09-2008, 02:28
Well, its arguable that commanders really shouldnt be rushing head first into battle. They should be commanding. Still, there are some limitations into making a model dynamic in terms of making them look proper.

Templar Ben
18-09-2008, 03:55
Well, its arguable that commanders really shouldnt be rushing head first into battle. They should be commanding. Still, there are some limitations into making a model dynamic in terms of making them look proper.

You are putting logic in there. Generally the Lt is not the most killy man in a platoon but look at the IG.