PDA

View Full Version : damnos inconsistencies

ChaosBeast
17-09-2008, 21:12
sorry if this has been covered. in the rulebook in the fluff bout the damnos incident it says the ship (i cant remember its name) was destroyed with a single pulse from a gauss pylon. howevver in the marine codex it says that the ship was forced to withdraw after sustaining 3 direct hits from gauss pylons.

thoughts.

Dominus_Serui
17-09-2008, 22:02
Changed because one-shots on Marines would affect their level of 'awesome' as far as GW was concerned.

Idaan
18-09-2008, 16:31
Changed because it is actually a world full of propaganda and lies, with the Imperium really prepared to alter the truth and cover for their glory boys' failiures? And that as far as truth is concerned, none of the stuff in that Codex has to be 100% true.
Check out the differences between Iron Cage incident in Imperial Fists' and Iron Warriors' Index Astartes or who actually won the 3rd Armageddon War according to Ork and Black Templar codices.

LexxBomb
18-09-2008, 16:45
well orks is neva beatn... if ya win ya win.. otherwise youz cum back with more boyz ans stompem real good.

mistformsquirrel
18-09-2008, 17:38
Changed because it is actually a world full of propaganda and lies, with the Imperium really prepared to alter the truth and cover for their glory boys' failiures? And that as far as truth is concerned, none of the stuff in that Codex has to be 100% true.
Check out the differences between Iron Cage incident in Imperial Fists' and Iron Warriors' Index Astartes or who actually won the 3rd Armageddon War according to Ork and Black Templar codices.

We have a winner!

Most likely the truth is the ship was blown to atoms - but the Imperium is *not* going to let that get out, not any more than they'd be prepared to tell Jo Citizen "Oh yeah, half of the Space Marines turned to Chaos ten thousand years ago, they're still out there and want to destroy the Imperium".

ChaosBeast
18-09-2008, 18:44
i thought games workshop had moved away from that aproach, am i wrong?

Grimbad
18-09-2008, 23:05
i thought games workshop had moved away from that aproach, am i wrong?

Yes. As an example:
The new Ork codex says that the Orks are massing around the Tau empire and that the tau have no chance of further expansion. I don't have the tau codex, but something tells me that it doesn't mention this.

The orks and the Imperium would both like to believe what the ork codex says. The tau would like to believe what theirs says. Everyone is lying. The orks hear this story coming from some bragging nob who's got some trophies that he claims he ripped off tau corpses. There's a chance the nob is exaggerating or simply making it up. Statistically, almost no orks have any chance of even knowing who or where the tau are, because orks have no central organization and they get all their news from word of mouth or the other warbands in the Waaagh! (the other warbands are also liable to be misinforming).
The Imperium hears the story coming from their survey stations and observation teams. They will probably have Tau sympathizers planting misinformation, brainwashed enthusiasts seeing only what they want to see, and the unreliable warp communication.
The tau hear the information from their brainwashed enthusiasts in the government, who hear it from the brainwashed enthusiasts in the upper ranks, who hear it from the brainwashed enthusiasts on the front lines. And if, even after all that, the information is still negative, the public will probably never know.

Another, far simpler example is the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. Tau Fire Warriors are afraid of fire, as every guardsman knows.

Goruax
19-09-2008, 00:04
And thunder damnit!
The crack of a Lasgun will send them scarpering if it's holy fire doesn't burn their bovine bodies! :p

Thankfully, Codicies are written quite well, for the most part, where fluff is concerned.
Each race puts forth it's own views in it's own style.
And that gives them all flavour, which is good :)

Faustburg
19-09-2008, 09:49
...or it is just a real-world mistake due to GW's well documented less than ideal level of proof-reading... The Marine Codex was likely worked on at the same time as the main rulebook, someone had "damnos incident" sketched down on a post-it, with the outcome, and at some point it was changed (from being blown up to just crippled, or the other way), and one of the writers missed it.

Everything does not have to be a conspiracy, either in the fictional universe, or in the real world with GW only caring about Space Marines...

Isoroku
21-09-2008, 06:23
Being better than released the codex ork, alli said that the attack orks colonies farshight not the rule Tau and tau are expanding in several directions, not only where there are orks