PDA

View Full Version : Epic Showdown

GreenSpeed
19-09-2008, 19:08
Hey guys, so im gonna be playing a couple 3000 pt games with my High Elves against Dark elves. Ive played him several times already and the game always ends in a draw. So heres my list

Prince
-StarDragon
-Lance
-Vambrances of Defense, Armor of Calador, Gem of Courage/ talisman of Loec

Lvl2 Dragon Mage
-Ward Save, Silverwand

Lvl 2 Mage
-1xDispell Scroll, Jewel of Duck

Lvl 2 Mage
-2x Dispell Scroll

10 Archers
-Musician

10 Archers
-Musician

10 Archers
-Musician

20 Phoenix Guard
-Full Command, Warbanner

20 Whitelions
-Full Command, Standard of Balance

Lion Chariot

Lion Chariot

5 Dragon Princes
-Full Command, Banner of Ellyrian

Eagle

So let me know what you think

WhiteKnight
19-09-2008, 22:46
The list is fast and hard hitting and i like it. Now for the verdict with one unit at a time.

PRINCE: Very common combination of gear. I think that Armour of Caledor on a mounted model is not necessary. I prefer Dragon Armour, Shield, Vambraces of Defence, and Star Lance. Its good in first round of combat and can break units in CC.

DRAGON MAGE: For this particular model, I prefer getting him on the flank and give him Guardian Phoenix and Gem of Sunfire. Then charge flank, cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin. (If you think you'll have trouble with casting, use the Gem of Sunfire and get a good casting value)

MAGES: I would like to see one of these guys being an archmage for more mage power. I usually would have one mage a lv 4 and then change the other mage to a noble with Radiant Gem of Hoeth and a Great weapon and Dragon Armour. You're magic heavy and thats great in 3k games with High Elves.

ARCHERS:Shooting is key and these guys are good at it. I prefer Sea Guard so they can fight in CC and Shooting.

PHOENIX GUARD/WHITELIONS: Good set ups for these guys, love these guys in CC.

LION CHARIOTS: Good guys for CC. These guys should work together and pound the ranks on the frontlines.

DRAGON PRINCES: Use these well. They can and will be targeted by much shooting and magic. Hopefully your mages can dispel the spells and protect them. And try to win combat in turn 1 or have another unit back them up because they will be conquered by static combat res.

EAGLE: Mage hunt FTW. The mages and war machine crew hunt will be a joy for you and a kiljoy for your opponent.

Lord Dan
20-09-2008, 00:23
Can you tell us what he normally takes? I'm not a fan of gearing armies to beat certain lists, but in this case it seems only logical to at least consider his options before you set yourself on yours.

Conotor
20-09-2008, 01:38
Why white lions on DE? S 6 doesn't matter if ur fighting t3 5+ save elves. Swordies or spear-men would do better.

I believe the best way to win any gave with high elves or dark elves it to take mass RBTs, but that would be very boring.

GreenSpeed
20-09-2008, 04:31
He has a wide variety of models so anything can show up on the board: but here is a list of things that will be on the board guaranteed

20 Black Guard w/always strikes first
2-3 units of 5 cold ones
Cauldron of blood
2x Bolt throwers
at least one assassin
Cold one chariot
hydra

things that may show up
black dragon with rider with 1+ armor and reverse ward save
Shades
MSU witch elves and executioners

His core is pretty varied and im likely to see spearmen, archers and dark riders. and he tends to go light on magic, maybe 2 or 3 Lvl 1 and 2s with scrolls.

What im worried about most is the dragon with the reverse ward save. if we did a dragon duel i might win but it would be close and i would have to focus on killing the dragon, which is gonna be tough. Any advice here would be appreciated.

As for Swordmasters vs whitelions you have a good point and i thought about it. But Dark elves have a lot of shooting, i dont think the SM would survive to fight. They are just too frail. Plus my plan is to put the whitelions in front of either the hydra or the cold ones i know he will bring.

WhiteKnight
20-09-2008, 20:27
With that DE list, it sounds like you can dominate the magic phase. If you have an archmage, 1 lv 2 mage, and your dragon mage, you can weaken his army with magic. Overwhelming your opponent in any phase can be good for you in many ways.

With the hydra, I would say have your archers shoot this monstrocity with a bit of magic back up from the Dragon Mage. And the black guard and MSU units have to be dealt with by your elite infantry. They can handle a few executioners and witch elves and the lion chariots can bash the black guard if they work together with the dragon princes.

GreenSpeed
21-09-2008, 14:41
I thought about what you said about putting in a level 4 mage. its a pretty good point i could do it if i take out the eagle, the musicians in the archer units, and the banner in the dragon prince units.

so the only thing i really loose is the eagle, a good warmachine hunter but i think my dragon mage will fit the same role early in the game so i should be ok there. the musicians in the archer units wont be missed that much since i get to reroll all psych tests anyway. The Dragon princes are slightly less effective but they are a supporting unit anyway so thats fine.

GreenSpeed
25-09-2008, 14:10
So here is the revised list, it has more magic at the expense of the dragon princes and phoenix guard but both units should still be effective fighting forces

Prince
-StarDragon
-Lance
-Vambrances of Defense, Armor of Calador

Lvl 4 Mage
-1xDispell Scroll, Jewel of Duck

Lvl2 Dragon Mage
-Ward Save, Silverwand

Lvl 2 Mage
- Dispell Scroll

10 Archers

10 Archers

10 Archers

20 Phoenix Guard
-Full Command

20 Whitelions
-Full Command, Standard of Balance

Lion Chariot

Lion Chariot

5 Dragon Princes
-musician

Eagle

Let me know which list you like better

Wolfblaze
27-09-2008, 03:42
I really like your second army, it makes alot better use of lords with the archmage, the phoenix guard are a great choice as 20 of em can become an absolute bog even for the hardest hitting troops.

One change i would suggest would be to change the Dragon Mage's ward save to a Ring of Fury, and if you include a banner of sorcery somewhere your dragon mage can dish out almost 10 power die of destruction, coupled with the other mage and your archmage thier dispel dice will get whittled away, thats when a free 2d6 str 4 hits really hurts.

Too bad you cant make use of the fear causing PG and Chariots and Terror-dragon but they will still dominate - if you roll well :P and a good choice on the white lions as they are the absolute bane of tough units. Nyways its a gud strong list gud luck.

GreenSpeed
28-09-2008, 00:51
I could take of the ward save and the jewel of dusk and bring in the ring of fury. but then i would put it on the archmage cause the dragon mage tends to die pretty fast, especially without any save.

also i will be taking high magic with the level 2 mage, and fire with the dragon mage.

What lore should i take on the LVL 4 mage its between beasts and death

Beasts
(+)The bears anger usefull since this mage will be with a unit of PG
(---)Oxen stands: useless since i reroll all psych tests
(=)Crows Feast: magic missile
(+++)Beast Cowers: amazing, against dragon, hydra and cold ones
(=)Hunters Spear: useful magic missile
(+)wolf hunts: useful but not great for moving dragons

Death
(=)Dark hand of death: cheap Magic missile
(+)steal soul: can cast in combat, kill champions, hero level characters
(=)Wind of Death: useable magic missile