PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Wood Elves

Elays
19-09-2008, 19:14
Warseers, I present to you my upgraded wood elves list. I've been playing at 1250 points, and I'll be expanding to 2250. In many stories of the fae, both Warhammer and not, there are tales of men being driven mad by what they see or have done to them. I would recommend Jim Butcher's "Summer Knight" for further reading. In this vein, I will be using Empire Flagellants as Wardancers and Militia as Dryads. These are the humans of Athel Loren, driven mad by the secrets the dark forest keeps. In the depths of winter, when the trees no longer answer the call to war, these fae-bound men are loosed upon the enemies of the forest.

The eagle highborn is for backfield disruption. The BSB stands with the Eternal Guard and the spellsinger with the Glade Guard. The army is primarily built around misdirection and mobility, a combination that has served me well so far. Even without trilliions of bows, I think this army has great power. So, some questions:

1. Fluffwise does it sound good? Any problems with the proxying?
2. Are my heroes appropriately equipped?
3. How should I deal with the real tough challenges like bloodthirsters or chaos champs etc?

Lords and Heroes

Highborn riding a Great Eagle
Light Armour, enchanted shield, Sword of Might, Bow of Loren
263 Points

Level 2 Spellsinger
Hail of Doom arrow, Dispel Scroll
180 points

Noble Battle Standard Bearer
Light Armour, Helm of the Hunt
112 points

Wardancer Noble
Resplendence of Luminescents
130 points

Core Units

Ten Glade Guard with Musician
126 points

Six Glade Guard Scouts
102 points

Nineteen Eternal Guard
Full command and warbanner
283 points

Five Glade Riders with musician
129 points

129 points

Ten Dryads with Nymph
132 points

Ten Dryads with Nymph
132 points

Special Units

Four Warhawks with Wind Rider
180 points

Ten Wardancers with Champion and Musician
201 points

Five Wild Riders with Hunter and Musician
148 points

Total: 2247 Points

Elays
20-09-2008, 23:25
No love for the tree-huggers then?

Lord Dan
21-09-2008, 01:59
My favorite part of the list is that you wrote out all the numbers. :)

Right now you have perhaps "too much" (If there is such a thing) balance, and I don't see what direction you're taking these elf-folk in. Tell us how you're going to use them.

Elays
21-09-2008, 20:51
Well I figure if I'm going to ask that you review the list, I might as well make it well formatted. But anyways, on to tactics.

My play style is very big on disruption, particularly with misdirection. Against most agressive armies (e.g. HoC, Bretonnia, VC), on a typical table, I will set up my glade guard and eternal guard in the center, and they will stay there for the duration. The glade guard can fire away and the eternal guard will either be tempting bait or a nasty deterrent, keeping units away from my archers. Then depending on my opponent's unit placement, I will put the glade riders on one or both flanks for bait-and-flee hijinks. The dryads, wardancers and wild riders are backup units, meant to step forward and slice apart whatever tries to take on my bait units. The warhawks and eagle-noble are meant primarily as a flanking and reactionary force for flank and rear charges.

Against more defensive armies (e.g. Gunline Empire, dwarves, other wood elves), I think this army has enough speed and punch to isolate and destroy units. Though I think dwarves could present a pretty big challenge.

RavenBloodwind
22-09-2008, 02:52
Okay, here goes...

1. Fluffwise does it sound good? Any problems with the proxying?
Meh, if it works for you that's fine. Remember to put your free company on 25mm bases. I really don't see the pathetic mindless trash which are fanatics (er, flagellants) being suitable wardancers but, again, if it works for you then go for it.

2. Are my heroes appropriately equipped?
I can't fathom taking the BoL without bodkins for the lord. The sword of might is a lot more expensive than a spear and no more useful on a charge.

A mage with the HoDA is not over-efficient because of the rather pathetic BS, much better on a noble (if you only had one with a bow!)

The BSB having the helm of the hunt bothers me too, this guy really shouldn't be in combat which is the only place the helm will help.

I don't see a single level 2 caster getting much done in your magic phase, I'd be strongly tempted to make him a token caddy (lvl 1 with 2 scrolls).

3. How should I deal with the real tough challenges like bloodthirsters or chaos champs etc?
Are you familiar with the term BOHICA? Basically evade and bait are your best chances against a blood thirster. You really have nothing that will give him pause. Just make sure to feed him things that are cheap and keep him pointed in a direction you like.

Highborn riding a Great Eagle
Light Armour, enchanted shield, Sword of Might, Bow of Loren

I prefer LA, enchanted shield, BoL, arcane bodkins, stone of crystal mere and spear

Level 2 Spellsinger
Hail of Doom arrow, Dispel Scroll

Given the rest of the army, go caddy here and save points

Noble Battle Standard Bearer
Light Armour, Helm of the Hunt

Giving him an elf steed is a cheaper bump in armor save and actually improves his movement. Alternatively giving him annoyance to keep him alive in combats or the amber pendant would probably be more useful as well.

Wardancer Noble
Resplendence of Luminescents

Wardancer unit with magical attacks? Yes please. That said, glade guard joined by a mage with this spite for magical shooting? Way better. This guy could go naked, moonstone or annoyance all to good effect.

Ten Glade Guard with Musician

Unless you have spare points, I'm not enamored of a musician for them.

Six Glade Guard Scouts

For 18 more points you could have 5 waywatchers. Alternatively, these guys are affordable scouts, I'd drop to 5 to save points. They're going to die anyway, let them die cheaper.

Nineteen Eternal Guard
Full command and warbanner

I don't really like EG but that's just my preference. I'd be tempted to bump up the numbers for a 7x3 deployment if you keep them. I'd also save the warbanner for your wild riders.

Nothing at all to change here other than if you can squeeze in a 3rd unit.

Ten Dryads with Nymph

I like nymphs in my dryad units (which half of warseer does not). I'd look at scraping up the points for 8x3 rather than 2x10 if at all possible.

Four Warhawks with Wind Rider

A champion makes this unit a less effective mage-hunting unit as the champ can be challenged by an opposing unit champ thereby minimizing the number of attacks you can put on the mage. I'd drop the champ and leave them at 4-strong.

Ten Wardancers with Champion and Musician

You have a free special slot, if you had the points 8x2 would be very nice but as is they're fine.

Five Wild Riders with Hunter and Musician

Again, not one of my favorite units but they're certainly handy. I'd really look at giving them full command with the warbanner (taken from the EG)

The Red Scourge
22-09-2008, 08:18
On a scale of 1-10, I'd probably rate this a 3, due to no spelling mistakes ;)

Seriously.

Never ever go with a Highborn. You don't need his Ld, as you should always choose your fights – and only choose those you will win.

You spellsinger has 55 pts worth of magic. And why the HoDA on her? And 2 levels, when other people have lord level casters??

Resplendence?? You already have quite a lot of magic attacks in the army. The only unit I'd use this with is the Glade Guard – and wardancers doesn't hang with the guard.

Dryads have no need for either command or extra numbers. The only time you should go beyond the basic 8 is, when you take a branchwraith and a nymph to protect her.

I won't get started on your scouts, I'll just point to the fact that you have two unspent rare choices and waywatchers and eagles are better friends.

The EG... Some people like them.. I don't, but they work for some people – do try to protect your BSB a little better, if you want to keep them stubborn. Stone of Crystal Mere, Oaken armor or even the Royal Standard of Ariel.

10 Wardancers?? Again.. How are are you going to get that many into combat?

Wild Riders? Ditch the hunter, add a sixth and give them the warbanner – probably the best unit you can get in the army, or the game.

Same with warhawks. Don't waste your points on the champion. It makes your unit worse and takes up a lot of points.

-
Fluffwise.. Whatever rocks your boat.. I can see it, if you add a lot of branches and leaves – and cut away all the books and scrolls from the flagellants. And remember 25mm bases for the militia.