PDA

View Full Version : Orcs on the defense.

jpf1982
20-09-2008, 02:37
So I was wondering if anybody plays a defensive O&G army? Around my area the dominance is VC, Demons, and Elves. Needless to say I have a VERY hard time with fear and terror.

Now I've always gone into game with pretty decent numbers and ran as fast as I could for combat, but I was wondering if going on the defensive would work as I'm getting tired of being mangled in these games because of fear; unbreakable rules. So I wanted to build a shooting list. I know it pretty much goes against everything greenskin but there's just a point where you get sick of constant losses because of special rules.

Anyway anybody ever try this list? Looking for opinions on the idea.

Next local tourney is 1500; this is what I'm looking at.

BO Big Boss
Boar, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Boss Hat
(1+AS, 5+WS; his job is to stay alive and give leadership; nothing more; nothing less)

Goblin Big Boss
BSB, Light Armor, Spider Banner
(He's going to go with the big unit of of Goblin archers for poison)

Orc Shaman
LVL 2, Staff of Baduum
(There to cast the spell that helps me in combat. If I get it. Otherwise magic missile as much as I can.

2 Units of 10 Arrer Boyz

1 Unit of 25 NG's with bows, boss (to save the BSB from a challenge), and 2 fanatics for when they inevitably get charged.

2 Units of 5 Spider Riders with bows

23 Orcs Biguns with champ, banner, shields, morks spirit totem

25 Orcs with champ, banner, shields

2 Rock lobbas

1 Doom diver

So yeah once things are near range that's a lot of shots from an orc & goblin army. No idea if it'd work though. Figured hell it's gotta be worth a try though.

Lord Dan
20-09-2008, 03:06
This is probably one of the cooler things I've seen. I've never seen anything quite like it, so I can't really give any educated advice on how to make it "better" (other than basically telling you to do something completely different, which isn't the point).

Let us know how it does in the tourney.

khorne808
20-09-2008, 03:35
Orcs on the defense
i think thats a oxymoron
lol

Felworth
20-09-2008, 15:55
It looks shakey to me jpf1982.

Unless you have a lot of hills in the deployment zone or slow moving enemy units, a turn or two of strength 3 bow fire isn't going to kill much. Which means you have to rely on the rock/Gobbo launching devices to win the game for you...

Personally, I have no luck with artillery on account that my rock lobbas seem specially designed to destroy themselves or scatter onto Orc mobs but your luck may vary.

Anywho, you may want to put in at least one more fast cav unit to help in slowing down the enemy long enough for your artillery to take effect.

Shamfrit
20-09-2008, 19:42
BO Big Boss
Boar, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Boss Hat
(1+AS, 5+WS; his job is to stay alive and give leadership; nothing more; nothing less)

Defensive characters in an Orc army actually work; picture the scene, a massive Black Orc riding an armour boar covered in plates of red scorched metal, nothing better. Is it goes though, I think the set-up you have is perfectly fine. In a horde army however I wouldn't bother with the Big Boss Hat, it's a relatively small save and you've the best armour save you can buy - just avoid Armour Save negators.

Goblin Big Boss
BSB, Light Armor, Spider Banner
(He's going to go with the big unit of of Goblin archers for poison)

It's an interesting idea, and one I've toyed with myself. You would perform consistently better putting him in a unit of Arrer Boyz, as the added toughness would make you more resilient, and you'd then have more range. Maybe add a Wolf so you can remove the Goblin once your current unit is about to be charged, or move to make the most important shot of the round poisoned?

Orc Shaman
LVL 2, Staff of Baduum
(There to cast the spell that helps me in combat. If I get it. Otherwise magic missile as much as I can.

In my opinion Orc Magic goes two ways. Either a lone scroll caddy, or a Lord and supporting caster. One Lvl. 2, even at 1500 will do nothing for you at all. If you insist on minimal magical presence then consider a Power Stone/Dispel Scroll for further defence, and to allow you a big casting of Gork's Warpath or Waaagh! should you need it in the late game.

2 Units of 10 Arrer Boyz

I personally take the same in my army as flanking units, MSU is creeping into my play style - they also make good pot shot units for Large Targets. And they're incredibly cheap for T4 missile troops.

1 Unit of 25 NG's with bows, boss (to save the BSB from a challenge), and 2 fanatics for when they inevitably get charged.

I would much prefer two units of bare bones Night Goblins with Bows. Then you can move the Wolf Mounted Goblin BSB between the two when he's needed, and you've then got two bases for him to work with.

2 Units of 5 Spider Riders with bows

These are fine, but consider musicians.

23 Orcs Biguns with champ, banner, shields, morks spirit totem

This is where I think your list starts to fall apart. Big Uns arn't exactly cost effective, even at 2000/2250 - especially not on a fully ranked unit like this. You need Mork's Spirit Totem...or do you? Two Scrolls and 3 Dispel Dice could be enough for this points level. I've never used them at this points level so I wouldn't really know.

25 Orcs with champ, banner, shields

A solid core to the force!

2 Rock lobbas

No, no, no no NO! At this points scale the opposing units will not be big enough for template weapons to work, especially with scatter!

4 Spear Chukkas will work alot better, ALWAYS!

1 Doom diver

This is teh uber, Doom Divers I cannot give enough praise too!