PDA

View Full Version : Angry Trees

DGline
20-09-2008, 08:43
I've played against a Wood elf player a lot, and he tends to run 2 Treemen and the Sisters of Twilight in most games. Hardly unbeatable but can be annoying against certain matchups, anyone have solid tactics for dealing with these big nasties?

Oenghus
20-09-2008, 15:09
You... you might need to be a bit more specific. What army do you play, for example? What do you have at your disposal? I mean, cannons are an obvious solution, but only if you play Empire or Dwarves.

Beast Cowers is another solution, but only if you have some method of reliably getting the spell.

Etc.

DGline
20-09-2008, 17:53
I play a couple different armies, but the one to seems to suffer most against this is my Tomb Kings. My Dwarf army prefers bolt throwers with rune of burning and penetrating, so easy to hit large targets with an engineer.

Oenghus
20-09-2008, 18:28
Tomb Kings have trouble with big baddies, especially flying ones. Especially three of them.

I'd try to catapult the treemen (two shots a turn, no ward saves and doubled wounds help to offset the inherent inaccuracy of the catapult). I'd also try to pin the dragon in place with a resilient block (you could catch it with something fast -- carrion or chariots -- and then plow some skeletons into it for example) and then just use the old 'infinite challenge' trick to keep it out of the game until you're ready to butcher it at your leisure.

Alternately, you could run a Khalida list and introduce the sisters to eighty poisoned shots a turn. That ought to sort them out fairly quickly.

DGline
20-09-2008, 18:35
Hard to pin down the dragon when there are also many fearless wardancers an dryads mucking about(sorry forgot to mention).They eat Tk units with Cr in a turn or two. Also how many SS catapults in 3k list?

vinny t
20-09-2008, 19:22
TK in chariot with Flail of Skulls in a chariot unit, incant them into those trees, You essentially auto-kill thaem with the Flaming, 2 wounding weapon, also, it kills the dragon right quickly too.

xragg
21-09-2008, 12:01
Whats the strength of a TK skelly? 3. So the sisters can pin them down just as easy as normal VC. I wouldnt rely on any shooting to kill the sisters, its just way too random. It takes roughly 72 arrow shots to kill the sisters at long range by the numbers in one round of shooting (though poison would lower that number just a little). The "80" poison shots are probally better spent being shot at a treeman. The flail of skulls is good against big trees.

Oenghus
21-09-2008, 14:45
It takes roughly 72 arrow shots to kill the sisters at long range by the numbers in one round of shooting (though poison would lower that number just a little). The "80" poison shots are probally better spent being shot at a treeman.

Not sure what the quotation marks around the 80 is for -- it suggests disbelief at the possibility of having 80 shots a turn. In reality, though, that's only two units of twenty archers, each having smite cast on them once. Most Khalida armies put out at least that much firepower, especially against large targets where you can fire with all ranks and don't need to string your archers across the board. If, as you say, it takes on average 72 shots to bring the sisters down in one round of shooting, then it seems like Khalidan archers would be a very effective method of dealing with them. What am I missing here?

caeanan
23-09-2008, 09:16
I play games with DGline and the guy with the WE. Its typically 2 treemen and at LEAST the one dragon he has been known to run 2. The rest of the list is really not important since the 4 scary monsters can go thru your army themselves. The WE guy is the kind of guy that rolls really well too. Ive sent 26 shots from a helblaster into a treeman wounding with 18 and he can make 17 saves.

We typically play 3k games and I think we both dont have a very good record against the WE.