PDA

View Full Version : bases sizes, can i got larger for characters?

studderigdave
20-09-2008, 13:21
i have a mounted character that came with a cav base, do i HAVE TO use that base ot can i go larger for reasons of basing. im not trying to get any tactical advantage out of it, i just have a cool i dea for basing and the stuff im using it to large for the cav base.

theunwantedbeing
20-09-2008, 13:41
So long as you arent gaining any tactical advantage, its fine.
If you are, it's not fine really unless your opponent is okay with it, so ask before using him.

Usually your opponent will be perfectly okay with such things, although if you are gaining some serious advantage then expect your opponent not to want to let you use him. Regardless of how cool he looks.

eg.
You have an item that causes a wound to everyone in base contact
Obviously a larger base is more helpful, and gives an unfair advantage if it's larger than normal.

How big would this base be exactly?
And what orientation if it's not a sqaure one?
Obviously something like a chariot base with the long side forwards can give a huge advantage, but have the short side forwards and the character can add a lot of combat res more easily.

studderigdave
20-09-2008, 20:59
i would be mountin him on a 50 mm monster base. its a vampire on a hellstead, im using the skellies from harry the hammer as the base for the vamp, and it doesnt fit to well on a cav base or a 40mm base.

one again im not looking for any advanctage, ijust want a change to have a really cool looking model. im just worried that i might use him in a local RTT and he wouldnt be able to be used becuase his base is to big. i dont put im into any units or anything.

theunwantedbeing
20-09-2008, 21:17
The hellsteed is fine, he cant join unit's as he's on a flying mount.
BrB,Page 72

Your unlikely to gain any advantage from being on such a base, more like a disadvantage as you'll be harder to hide and more models will be able to fight you and your easier to hit with templates and such.
I can't think of any VC item's or powers that would allow you to gain any benefit for having a larger base. (barring causing terror and the like and that's a minimal bonus compared to how much easier it is to hit)

studderigdave
20-09-2008, 21:19
ok, as long as its legit. i dont mind the disadvantages, i know it sounds odd, but a cool looking model is the most important part for me.

thanks

Faustburg
21-09-2008, 10:34
But it is not legit...

Really, the most pointless answer here is "as long as you opponent agrees"... really, one can't figure that out for one self?

There is no leeway, bigger or smaller, with Warhammer bases.

While there are a few models on non-monster steeds that go on 50mm bases (Tyrion, more?), the default unless mentioned otherwise is 25*50mm.

Your opponent can agree 'til the cows come home, but isn't it better to build a guaranteed to be working agains anyone model?

There are ways and means of getting what originally goes on a 50mm onto a 25mm wide base.

Valaraukar
21-09-2008, 14:03
Isn't a hellsteed basically a vampiric pegasus? Plenty of flying creatures I've seen including brettonian pegasus knights, screamers of Tzeentch and others mounted on flying bases because they lookbetter are then mounted on 40mm or 50mm bases even the ones on the GW store site are so I would have thought a hellsteed could be mounted on a 40mm if not 50mm base with no problem. All of the above still count as 'cavalry' models even though not mounted on 25x50mm bases. The screamers even have a note in their entry to that effect. As he can't join units as well i see no problem with you saying treat him as if the base size is 25x50mm for base to base contact etc. to your opponent. I can't see anyone who is not a complete **** having a problem with it.

Lots of GW stuff has dodgy sized bases, monsters should all be 50mm bases but the giant isn't. Harry the hammer is an infantry model so should be on a 25mm base but is on a 40x60mm base and why? because it looks cooler that way and no-one cares.

Faustburg
21-09-2008, 17:40
Don't give people bad advice... simple as that. You may think that people complaining are arses, but then again they may think you are one for saying so, right?

It is a basic cavalry model, those go on 25*50 unless noted otherwise (such as actually in text or by looking at the model in armybooks or similar).

SolarHammer
21-09-2008, 18:39
What about the advantage to be gained by having 2.5cm wider frontage, giving you 2.5cm more line of sight?

It may be minor (nay, nearly insignificant), but it's still an advantage accrued to you, simply for putting him on a larger base.
There are probably other unintended consequences that most people don't usually consider that may collectively mean it's more trouble than it's worth.

Valaraukar
21-09-2008, 21:55
Hence why I said if you want to do it for modeling purposes there's no reason you can't play it as if he is on a 25x50 mm base merely measure from the correct points on the frontage and check there for line of site and B2B contact etc. you could even mark the width on with paint etc.

As for bad advice I could equally accuse you of the same for quashing his artistic talents, this is all a matter of opinion which is what the OP asked for and this is mine.

narrativium
21-09-2008, 22:41
If he wants to be artistic, he can use whatever base he likes. If he wants to use it in a game, then it should be based on an appropriate base. Cavalry bases have a standard size, as do bases for chariots and larger creatures (e.g. ogres).

However, I would like to see a page reference for similar on whether a 20mm or 25mm is specifically stated for any given US1 troop type, since otherwise it is a tactical/resource decision of line of sight, maneuvrability and base-to-base comparisons. (And similarly, why an Ogre Hunter has a 50mm base, not a 40mm one. Sure, it looks better with sabretusks, but it makes a difference on the board.)

GodlessM
21-09-2008, 23:35
Depending on what way you plan on doing up the base there is a way to get the best of both worlds. Mount him on the 25x50mm cavalry base but magnetize it to fit into the 50x50mm scenic base you are doing. That way it looks kewl and if there's a problem with an opponent you can take him out.

I had to do a similar thing for my Dark Elves to put a mounted Lord into and infantry unit, by making him on a 20x40mm base magnetized to a 25x50mm base. Nobody has had a problem with it.

Faustburg
21-09-2008, 23:37
As for bad advice I could equally accuse you of the same for quashing his artistic talents, this is all a matter of opinion which is what the OP asked for and this is mine.

No, what the original question was about was whether it worked out by the rules...

Giving your "opinion", when it is contrary to the games rules, how is that not "bad advice"?

However, I would like to see a page reference for similar on whether a 20mm or 25mm is specifically stated for any given US1 troop type, since otherwise it is a tactical/resource decision of line of sight, maneuvrability and base-to-base comparisons. (And similarly, why an Ogre Hunter has a 50mm base, not a 40mm one. Sure, it looks better with sabretusks, but it makes a difference on the board.)

Well, the base-size chart is still there, although you need to do some some cyber-archeology to get to it I think, and it is not updated to include armies of Ogres and later... but it is mostly about looking at what the models are based on in pictures and what they come with.

(and, yes, the Hunter is at a bit of an unnecessary disadvantage just for ranking up nicely with his tigers...)

(

Spook101
23-09-2008, 19:05
heres an idea.

model the model on the normal cavalry base, then model the larger base with an area that will accept the cavalry base. I also suggest magnetizing it, but that is up to you.

If your opponents agree to the larger base, then go for it. If they disagree, set the larger base to the side and suffer with the smaller base