PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Empire Vs. DarK Elves friendly

Frost27
20-09-2008, 16:02
Both myself my friend have decided to build Fantasy armies, him as Dark Elves, myself as The Empire, and so first we've decided to build up to 1000 points and eventually expand to 2000 point tournament/friendly armies.My army is a pretty straight-forward Empire army using things I've learned in previous list-building forays and lurking around the forum. I know my army lacks both detachments ,banners, and possibly enough magical defense to fight DE. Also the list adds u to 1003, though it's not a ig deal since i'll most likely just be playing with my friend and e's pretty lenient when it comes to point limits. I would be grateful to anyone who can help me fix these problems as well as make the army overall more functional.

Heroes

Warrior Priest-133
Great Weapon
Armor of Meteoric Iron
General
With Greatswords unit

Battle Wizard-115
2x Dispel Scroll

Core

30 Swordsmen-205
FC

5 Nilla Knights-123
Music

Special

20 Greatswords-230
FC

5 Pistoliers-97
Music

Great Cannon-100

Total-1003

Thanks for any and al help and criticism.

Oenghus
20-09-2008, 16:36
If you can't get away with 4dd and 2 scrolls in a 1000 point game then your opponent has gone full magic. If that's the case, his heroes should be nice and squishy and easy to assassinate. So you'll only have to suffer through a turn or two until your cannon/knights/pistoliers take care of the issue.

If you shrink your greatswords unit down significantly you'll be able to buy detachments. Try 12 greatswords in 2x6 formation and buy a couple of small (nine or even seven) man flanking detachments. 30 swordsmen is also a really big unit for 1k points. Maybe twenty or twenty-five would do better (and save you some points for which to buy banners and so on for your combat blocks). If you have any points left over after all of that, think about an archer screen to make sure that your greatswords reach the elves more or less intact.

Frost27
20-09-2008, 18:09
Ok, thanks for the input, so how about this list?

Heroes

Warrior Priest-133
Great Weapon
Armor of Meteoric Iron
General
With Greatswords unit

Core

20 Swordsmen-145
FC
10 Free company Detachment-50

5 Nilla Knights-123
Music

5 Nilla Knights-123
Music

Special

15 Greatswords-180
FC
6 Archer Detachment-48

5 Pistoliers-97
Music

Great Cannon-100

Total-999

DGline
20-09-2008, 18:13
I think maybe a mortar would be more useful against DE than a cannon.Would give you a few more points for detachments.

Makarion
20-09-2008, 22:25
The second list looks very good, although I would drop the champion out of the swordsmen unit. The champion in the greatswords should stay though, just in case your druchii friend has a particularly nasty general that likes challenges.

Lord Dan
21-09-2008, 01:04
I'm glad to see your knights have brought some music with them. :p

Jokes aside, I like the second list a lot better than the first. I don't see a detachment of 6 archers doing much for your Greatswords, though. Can you scramble up points to make them a non-detachment unit of huntsmen instead? Failing that, take some crossbows or handguns.

Makarion
21-09-2008, 03:11
I'm glad to see your knights have brought some music with them. :p

Jokes aside, I like the second list a lot better than the first. I don't see a detachment of 6 archers doing much for your Greatswords, though. Can you scramble up points to make them a non-detachment unit of huntsmen instead? Failing that, take some crossbows or handguns.

Don't. Huntsmen cause panic when they flee, whereas an archer detachment does not. A minimum unit of huntsmen is also 100 pts, versus 40 for 5 archers (who are a decent short-term missile screen).

Andrew Taon
21-09-2008, 13:57
Once upon a time (1995...4th Ed...where you could only get the rules in the boxed came that subsequently came with high elves and goblins at the time) my friend and I wanted to get into Warhammer, so I bought the boxed game and we decided we wanted to play Empire(me) and Dark Elves(him). So, feeling a little nostalgic about the days when my empire army(that looked suspiciously like a bunch of goblins) and Adam's Dark Elves (which looked alot like High Elves) would clash in 1000 point games, I have a few suggestions. I'd ask your buddy if he's going to bring magic to the table for your 1000 point games or if hes going to wait until you guys have larger armies; I would suggest to him that you guys go without. When my friend and I built our original armies of 1000 points we agreed that we'd not bring any magic users to the table until we got used to all the other aspects of our armies and then throw in magic users once we started to build our 2000 point armies. But, magic was almost a game in and of itself back then. That being said, I'd suggest the following variation on your list for no magic:

Heroes

Captain-79
Great Weapon
Armor of Meteoric Iron
General
With Greatswords unit

Core
25 Swordsmen-165
Standard Bearer and Musician
8 Free company Detachment-40

5 Nilla Knights-131
Preceptor

5 Nilla Knights-131
Preceptor

Special

19 Greatswords-220
FC
8 Free company Detachment-40

5 Pistoliers-97
Musician

Great Cannon-100

I tweaked some minor things that will go a long way.

1) I changed your priest to a captain. In a game where dispel dice are unnecessary, it isn't worth having two attacks instead of three AND paying an extra 54 points for one bound spell and re rolling missed hits.

2) I swapped your knight's musicians for preceptors, the extra attack is like having an extra knight for less points on the charge, they have Ld 8 and shouldn't be running away often enough to justify the points for musician.

3) I replaced your archer screen for more greatswords. Archers die more easily than greatswords and are almost as expensive, so I traded out the points spent on the screen with more greatswords. At the end of the day, you'll still get into combat with about the same nunmer of greatswords as you would have being screened with the added bonus of getting into combat with more guys if they weren't targeted with shooting. I ran 19 so that with the Hero in the unit they can form up into a nice 5x4.

4) Swordsmen: Their whole lot in life is to provide 3 ranks, a banner, and an outnumber bonus(and hopefully a flank if the detachment can make it too). Swordsmen are best because the die less easily than spear men and halberdiers (having a 4 ws and 4+ armor save in cc). The five extra guys ensures they provide this. I dropped the champion and replaced him with an extra great sword...again, the extra attack isn't needed when you're not trying to kill anything.

For what its worth, here is my FRIENDLY 2000 point list:

Lord

Grand Master w/ Shroud of Magnus-195 (with the 11 first knights)

Heroes

Lev. 2 Wizard w/ Dispel Scroll x2-150
Warrior Priest w/ Great Hammer, Armor of Meteoric Iron-119 (with spears)
Captain w/ Sword of Sigismund, Full Plate, Shield-105 (with swords)

Core

6 Reiksguard Knights w/ Champion-154

29 Spearmen w/ Shields, FC -194
8 Free Company Detachment-40
5 Handgunners Detachment-40

29 Swordsmen w/ Standard, Musician-189
8 Free Company Detachment-40

Special

11 Reiksguard First Knights w/ FC, Steel Standard-346

6 Pistoliers w/ Musician-115

Great Cannon-100

Great Cannon-100

Rare

Hellblaster Volley Gun-110

1997 points

Mannfred
21-09-2008, 14:07
Hmm yeah ur list seems alright i mean it's not that best equiped to take on Dark Elves but it looks pretty sound. Magic defence u need a bit more like seriously...3dd isn't gonna really save yah from a level two sorceress especially when we have the spell power of darkness (d3+1 extra power dice cast on a 4+)

Maybe take a hellblaster volley instead of a great cannon to like kill off heavy armour and like ranks and files...