PDA

View Full Version : Question about assualt vs regular terminators?

Sam Spade
21-09-2008, 03:29
I was just wondering if every regular terminator in his arming chamber has the ability to become and assualt terminator, hey i think ill take a thunder hammer and sheild today, or if it is two completely seperate thing?

Tau_Pathfinder
21-09-2008, 03:34
no one has made a documentry called "Terminators- in daily life" yet but id assume that at a young age terminators chose which combat style they would specialize in

Sir Phobos
21-09-2008, 03:55
Ok so they dont choose based upon the mission they are goin on. Once you say I am good as assualting you are always an assualt terminator.

zoodog
21-09-2008, 04:04
well now that we have two distinct classes of veterans I would assume they are also separated when chosen to dawn terminator armor with a small degree of overlap or mission specificity. I'm not sure how modular the suits are, it seems like with the exception of the stormbolter the weapons are attached or integrated into the suits, though they could have multiple hand/arms for each suit I guess.

Templar Ben
21-09-2008, 04:08
I imagine it has to do what role they had as a tactical marine. Marines that were assault marines and have spent the last 100 years focused on getting in close will approach combat differently then the one that has been carrying a missile launcher.

I see that carrying forward.

imperial_scholar
21-09-2008, 05:32
The new SM fluff covers this well. Though mentions nothing about terminator armour, I imagine that it is interchangeable thanks to some help from a techmarine (cyclone missile launcher). By the time they are veteran'd they've been around the block and know what they want/are good at.

EVIL INC
21-09-2008, 05:46
I see it as a matter of personal choice. A single veteran might choose to specialize in a certain type of warfare so that would be his reguler armament.
However, I dont see a vet being turned down and having a younger/less"worthy" veteran advanced ahead of him just because the "lesser warrier" was better at using a thunderhammer either.
I see them having a "standard" armament attached to thier suit that they prefer and feel most comfortable with but also having the ability to switch off should the need arise. After all, thats part of being a marine, being flexible and good at ALL aspects of war.

Disciple of Caliban
21-09-2008, 11:06
I imagine that every single suigt of terminator armour comes with a storm bolter and powerfist/chainfist. And then those that are particularly good at combat are given the opportunity to use assault weapons if they prefer, whereas those who are exceptional marksmen are offered the opportunity to use heavy weapons when the mission requires

ehlijen
21-09-2008, 11:42
After serving as a scout for a century or so, and then being evaluated in the ranks of the tactical marines in a reserve company, a trooper will be allocated specific position in a battle company based on his skills and combat history. If he's allocated to a devestator squad, he will most likely be allocated to a Terminator line squad. If he was in an assault or bike squad, he will most likely be assigned to a Terminator Assault squad. If he was in a tactical squad, he will most likely not be assigned terminator armour at all and just be given his own squad to lead.

Once an assignement is made, a unit is unlikely to change their weapons loadout during a campaign. Supply is much more easily handeld if each squad only brings their standard gear and all it requires is ammo and spare parts.
That said, I'd assume that Terminator armour is somwhat modular and can be changed by techmarines in the forge or at base camp. It'd be a major effort though, akin to replacing a damaged weapon in a vehicle. It wouldn't happen in the field, the unit would have to be send to base for resupply.
Terminators, thanks to the ability to teleport are the best at that however, as they don't hang around on the battlefield too much outside their missions.

But short of emergencies, I don't think that reguarl and assault terminator squads mix. A trooper is assigned a squad position for life usually and usually stays until dead or promoted. Only in rare cases when suits are irrecoverably lost might squads get merged.

imperial_scholar
21-09-2008, 15:18
After serving as a scout for a century or so, and then being evaluated in the ranks of the tactical marines in a reserve company, a trooper will be allocated specific position in a battle company based on his skills and combat history. If he's allocated to a devestator squad, he will most likely be allocated to a Terminator line squad. If he was in an assault or bike squad, he will most likely be assigned to a Terminator Assault squad. If he was in a tactical squad, he will most likely not be assigned terminator armour at all and just be given his own squad to lead.

Once an assignement is made, a unit is unlikely to change their weapons loadout during a campaign. Supply is much more easily handeld if each squad only brings their standard gear and all it requires is ammo and spare parts.
That said, I'd assume that Terminator armour is somwhat modular and can be changed by techmarines in the forge or at base camp. It'd be a major effort though, akin to replacing a damaged weapon in a vehicle. It wouldn't happen in the field, the unit would have to be send to base for resupply.
Terminators, thanks to the ability to teleport are the best at that however, as they don't hang around on the battlefield too much outside their missions.

But short of emergencies, I don't think that reguarl and assault terminator squads mix. A trooper is assigned a squad position for life usually and usually stays until dead or promoted. Only in rare cases when suits are irrecoverably lost might squads get merged.
The new SM codex throws this all out the window.

RCgothic
21-09-2008, 15:23
Yup. Scout --> Spotter for Dev Squad----> Dev Squad Heavy Weapon ---> Assault Squad----> Tac Squad ---->Veteran

A Marine can stay at a particular stage if they have a very strong preference, but it's rather rare.