PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Paradise???

Nicha11
22-09-2008, 10:04
Until now i believed that the Ultramarines where a united Chapter,
but upon reading the new codex i noticed something strange.

If you read between the lines it appears Marneus Calgar is hated
by many in the Imperium, Tigurius is a "bit" to powerful.
Trouble is brewing between the captains of the first and second companies.
And Cassius has almost gone rogue.
There is also an interesting sidenote about the special vehicle commander
noting how he commands 50 Marines but answers too no Captain.

Is trouble brewing here???

The Judge
22-09-2008, 10:26
The Cassius background had me especially interested... I think something is up.

Can't remember why Calgar is hated, or Tigurius being too powerful - I look forward to reading it when I get my codex!

PARTYCHICORITA
22-09-2008, 14:07
From what i remember of older fluff (haven't read the new codex yet) the ultramarines are "hated" by other sections of the imperium because their system is powerful and almost independant (it do not pay taxes to Terra) this creates jealousy and casts a shadow of seperatism over the system and the chapter ruling it.

Khaine's Messenger
22-09-2008, 20:25
There's been trouble in the Ultras for a while. The events of the Uriel Ventris novels, the inception of the Tyranid Hunters, and some of Marneus Calgar's reforms to the Ultramarines' space-based forces (BFG articles) were all cause for some alarm in the chapter and beyond. Although I always thought it was just grumbling that would smoothe over in time, not some sort of big, simmering problem. Hmm. :eyebrows:

Orthodox
22-09-2008, 22:22
According to their force disposition, over half the Ultramarines are on "routine sweeps" of Ultramar. The systems might be secure and prosperous, but that seems a bit inefficient.

The Terrible Angel incident is ridiculous. Even the ultramarine primarch was complicit in testing civil war for no real reason. Think about it, Dorn would not have been intimidated, he just wanted to avoid the potentially stupidest altercation in Imperial history.

The codex does not seem to be perfect.

Kronos
23-09-2008, 23:35
i had no intentions of getting the new codex, seems like i might need to read it now.

Rogue um, sounds very intresting, could someone tell me as to why chronus answers to no captain?

Nicha11
24-09-2008, 00:00
i had no intentions of getting the new codex, seems like i might need to read it now.

Rogue um, sounds very intresting, could someone tell me as to why chronus answers to no captain?

He's now the "spear of Maccragge" (an old pre- heresy title) so he commands all the tank crew's,
but no-one except Marneus Calgar has any jurisdiction over him.

Apocalypse
24-09-2008, 01:12
Yeah, I'm sure in the next phase of 40k the imperium will fracture, I mean the mechanicum just looks so ready to start worshipping the C'tan on Mars, they are hinting at the Astronomican failing... something is definately up.

starlight
24-09-2008, 01:17
There is no *next phase*...:rolleyes:

GW has *ad nauseum* stated that the 40K universe is a *backdrop* to base your battles in, not a storyline that advances. They will fill in the blanks that got us to where we *are*, but there will be no advancing beyond the precarious teetering on the brink of the End of Times.:p

Ultramar has been looked upon as described for quite some time now. Nothing new to those who have been around long enough to see GW rehash and *clarify* their background yet again.:p

Koryphaus
24-09-2008, 01:23
You can tell that by the Double-Headed Eagle. The mutant bird (funny, the Imperium's attitude towrads mutation) is blind to the future, but has its eye open to the past.

Apocalypse
24-09-2008, 02:24
You can tell that by the Double-Headed Eagle. The mutant bird (funny, the Imperium's attitude towrads mutation) is blind to the future, but has its eye open to the past.

Hmmm, I could've sworn it was the other way around...

Koryphaus
24-09-2008, 02:42
Here is a picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/Imperial_eagle.jpg/200px-Imperial_eagle.jpg) of it.

heretic
24-09-2008, 02:44
It's not GW advancing the storyline, they're adding instabilities to make the present date and the state of things much more dire. They're making the knife edge sharper.

olmsted
24-09-2008, 03:11
you do understand that the aquilla is broken into parts that represent the parts of the imperium right? its from the old roguetrader days if i recall. any vet worth his 1st edition space marine figure could tell you about it more if your google~fu isnt up to date.

Platuan4th
24-09-2008, 03:14
Tigurius is a "bit" to powerful.

He IS half-Eldar, after all.

Koryphaus
24-09-2008, 05:27
He IS half-Eldar, after all.

Say what?

you do understand that the aquilla is broken into parts that represent the parts of the imperium right? its from the old roguetrader days if i recall. any vet worth his 1st edition space marine figure could tell you about it more if your google~fu isnt up to date.

Yep olmsted I do know that (assuming your question was directed at me). There was a thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156338&highlight=aquila) about it a couple of months back (look for post 11). But it happens to work out quite well here as well!

horizon
24-09-2008, 07:42
Say what?

A mix-up it seems, another Ultramarine is half eldar: old sources tell us so.

912/M41 Illiyan Nastase, the son of a human mother and an unknown eldar mercenary, is born on Badab following the expulsion of the Tyrant. He will eventually become the Chief Librarian. (WD 97, p. 46)

924/M41 Illiyan Nastase journies to Earth. (WD97, p. 46)

925/M41 Illiyan Nastase ungoes the soul-binding ritual. (WD97, p. 46)

965/M41 Illiyan Nastase is appointed as chief of the Macragge interstellar communications link. (WD 97, p. 46)

Taken from bolter&sword forum.

colmarekblack
24-09-2008, 11:00
some of Marneus Calgar's reforms to the Ultramarines' space-based forces (BFG articles) were all cause for some alarm in the chapter and beyond.

Oh yes the SO, even real-life BFG SM players won't use it! :wtf:

I personally have no gripe with it, I'd love to take one for my BT fleet

horizon
24-09-2008, 11:08
Ah... the dreaded Seditio Oprimere. Even the rules commitee wish this ship had never seen the light.

It goes against all background for Space Marines. It has massive lances, a great anti-ship weapon, at very long range. Yet, all background dictates Marines should not have lances and excel at Naval warfare. Only the small Nova frigate is allowed to have one.
Another hole is the fact that the other type of weapon, the weapon batteries (which are allowed for Marines), is a much better anti-Tyranid weapon then lances.

Jedi152
24-09-2008, 11:12
There is no *next phase*...:rolleyes:

GW has *ad nauseum* stated that the 40K universe is a *backdrop* to base your battles in, not a storyline that advances. They will fill in the blanks that got us to where we *are*, but there will be no advancing beyond the precarious teetering on the brink of the End of Times.:p
Exactly. People see the background as a wonderful rich folklore story, akin to LOTR or something like that. It's not. It's a device to sell models.

Things like the aquilla don't have a meaning. Nothing big is 'going to happen'. There are no hidden clues for you to 'read between the lines' and figure out.

A bunch of geeks sat down, had a few beers and invented stuff that looked and sounded cool.

Dominus_Serui
24-09-2008, 11:51
Unfortunatley what they did after writing that stuff was go back over that background, make several hundred revisions, and made it seem like they had allot more intelligence following its original creation - thusly your wrong.

We won't see the Ultramarines get bitchslapped for beeing divergant in fluff for a good long while methinks - if not never, due to the fact that Games Workshop is never running another World Wide Campaign again, which would be really the only way they could advance the fluff in a satisfactory method. If we do see some trouble in paradise, its when they eventually get around to dooing a Codex: Mechanicus, and the civil war on Mars erupts between Tech Priests who want to get into bed with the Necrons, and Tech Priests who want to remain loyal.