PDA

View Full Version : Cities of Death terrain

EmperorNorton
22-09-2008, 13:24
How much terrain does one need for a Cities of Death gaming board?

And what is the better buy, the Imperial City box or two Imperial Sector boxes?

Staurikosaurus
22-09-2008, 13:54
For a standard 6x4 table you'll want 5-6 buildings plus some scattered debris. For my table at home, I used a city sector and I made 6 buildings of various sizes (most 2-3 levels high counting balcony, 2-3 sides of structure). However, with the LoS changes with 5th I am going to add another sector to it to fill the buildings out (structures on all four corners).

I'd recommend buying 2 sectors and a blister of 40K barricades. That should give you a table with fully developed buildings of various sizes with a few sprues left over for detailing.

Sureshot05
22-09-2008, 14:41
I've got the sector box and built three good sized multi floor buildings and probably could have made four with a bit more care and planning. I also made a imperial monument using the spare parts to complement the set and so I got 4 pieces of area terrain from it each about 1 square foot in base size. I would consider adding a second box to make a whole tables worth of terrain.

Couldn't get hold of the city at the time, so cannot compare, but hope these details help.

EmperorNorton
22-09-2008, 14:47
Thanks for the input so far.
An additional question: Would a Cities of Death board be okay to use for Necromunda and possibly Mordheim?

What I want to have is a modular gaming table, the modules being 1 square foot each and interchangeable.

Inq. Veltane
22-09-2008, 14:55
The Imperial City box is better value, in that you get 10 buildings rather than the 8 you'd get from two Sector boxes. One Sector box won't be enough, so if you want a full board of matching terrain bite the bullet and get the City box.

Templar Ben
22-09-2008, 15:02
It may look a bit strange for Mordheim as it is very SciFi with the building design. It works for Necromunda but the pieces don't match if you want to mix bits between the two. There are ladders in COD even though many don't use them because in 40K they are not as essential.

I have not made a modular table that small so best of luck.

BladeWalker
22-09-2008, 15:12
The Sector will fill a 4'x4' board nicely, you will want the City to fill a full sized board. As has been stated, the City is a better value if you can get ahold of it. The CoD building kits are a blast to work with. I have made and sold several sets of terrain, the best advice I can give is to PLAN what you are going to do before you even cut the sprues. You will get more for less with a good plan.

EmperorNorton
22-09-2008, 15:28
It may look a bit strange for Mordheim as it is very SciFi with the building design.
Yes, I know, but before I start the hopeless endeavour of building Mordheim scenery from scratch I think I'm better off sacrificing a bit of atmosphere.

As has been stated, the City is a better value if you can get ahold of it.
Could that be a problem?
I just saw it listed in the UK online store and assumed it was available.

I have made and sold several sets of terrain, the best advice I can give is to PLAN what you are going to do before you even cut the sprues. You will get more for less with a good plan.
Not exactly a strength of mine, but I'll keep that advice in mind.

Inq. Veltane
22-09-2008, 15:28
Although you can use it for Necromunda I'm not sure it would make the best of Necromunda boards. For me a Necromunda board needs walkways between buildings and the like. I mean, it will work fine but it will play quite different to a game on a typical Necromunda board.

Necrothrall
22-09-2008, 15:42
I've found that the cities of death terain works quite well for necromunda. Especially the maunfactorum parts, with lots of pipes and the like.

My friends and I use spare floor sections as walk ways. We've glued small walls to some of them, although they look a wee bit out of place at times.

Eversor
22-09-2008, 15:44
I'd say as much as you can physically fit on the table. Leave a few streets for firing lanes, and have some "cleaner" areas that grant cover but are not difficult terrain - and vice versa.
This goes for any game of 40k, really. There isn't that much difference in the density of terrain in our CoD games and the normal ones :)

Templar Ben
22-09-2008, 16:23
Yes, I know, but before I start the hopeless endeavour of building Mordheim scenery from scratch I think I'm better off sacrificing a bit of atmosphere.

Fair enough. There is also the Fantasy Terrain which is not as modular but fits.

Could that be a problem?
I just saw it listed in the UK online store and assumed it was available.

It is available in the UK. It was a splash release in the US and is no longer available. Funny that.

Not exactly a strength of mine, but I'll keep that advice in mind.

I have built a lot of buildings that are "mostly" intact only to find that my big mitts won't fit inside to place figures. Planning is key.

Although you can use it for Necromunda I'm not sure it would make the best of Necromunda boards. For me a Necromunda board needs walkways between buildings and the like. I mean, it will work fine but it will play quite different to a game on a typical Necromunda board.

Then again there is nothing to prevent using COD and building walkways. Many of the floor sections are 4 by 1 and you can easily take it across a street and connect two buildings.

Bregalad
22-09-2008, 17:43
You can't have enough COD sprues, so buy plenty.
Also keep in mind that you can add diversity by using
Pegasus Hobby kits (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/pegasusHobbies plus the two new sets ( https://www.mala.at/index.php?cat=c8023_Gebaeudebausaetze.html&page=2 ),
Ziterdes http://www.ziterdes.de/ziterdes/en/produkte/listview.php?catID=64&subcatID=95
and Armorcast http://armorcast.com/store/ (e.g. Goth Tech building, Refinery, Pipeline, tech canal...).