PDA

View Full Version : all mounted chaos warrior army 2k

bork da basher
22-09-2008, 17:43
always always wanted an all mounted chaos army and now i can and all in plastic too (more or less)

no mincing about with this just straight in and crack some skulls. lord on dragon with a demon blade is a force of nature. im not 100% sold on using it but i love dragons and i have a cool idea for a conversion so why not.

marauder horsemen, fast cav. good to flank alongside my knights and be general pains in the ****.

hounds are the doggy meatshield. i dont expect much else from them.

3 units of 6 knights on the charge is a fearsome thing.

and finally a shaggoth because he's fast enough to keep up and i love the figure.

this is more for a bit of fun and a modelling experience more than tactical gameplay or anything.

Chaos lord / 185 / chaos demon sword +75, chaos dragon +360 / 620

5 marauder horsemen / 14 / 70

5 hounds / 6 / 30
5 hounds / 6 / 30
5 hounds / 6 / 30
5 hounds / 6 / 30

6 knights of chaos / 40 / standard +20 / 260

shaggoth / 265

1995pts

narrativium
22-09-2008, 19:19
The new Warriors of Chaos book isn't out yet. Using the current list, there's no option for Shaggoths, you've got four Core units which don't count towards your minimum 3 and you've got six Special choices. So, you'd have trouble playing this...

Otherwise, I like the idea. Had there been plastic models available while Hordes of Chaos was legal, I'd have a Knight-heavy army too.

Void_Dragon
22-09-2008, 19:43
The new Warriors of Chaos book isn't out yet. Using the current list, there's no option for Shaggoths, you've got four Core units which don't count towards your minimum 3 and you've got six Special choices. So, you'd have trouble playing this...

Otherwise, I like the idea. Had there been plastic models available while Hordes of Chaos was legal, I'd have a Knight-heavy army too.

I don't know if you are being narrow minded or if you are not aware of the rumours floating around but...

Marauders on horses count as core, so he has 3 cores.
That means he now has 3 specials.

Now, onto the list

I like it, what I don't like is the dragon and the shaggoth. I would drop those and add more heroes, wizards of slaanesh, actually. Magical defense is a need in an army of so few models I'd say. Slaanesh is also pretty tactic heavy in magic, with chances of frenzying your or your opponent units, and making them go where you want them to go, etc.

I will be doing a similar list, with knights and marauders on horse, but no shaggoths. Only dragon ogres, which are pretty devastating on the charge with Strength 7. Shame they are special now, as they fitted perfectly the rare slots.

123DeMaere
22-09-2008, 20:08
I LOVE all mounted chaos(and plan to do it myself) but I don't think you can do that dragon. In three thousand, sure. Your two thousand point list has three main problems to me:

No marks- for 30 points the mark of Nurgle is great, or the other marks are worth they're 6+ wards or etc...

No magic defense- your 2 base despel dice and no scrolls in two thousand can be a huge problem. I'd suggest a lvl 2 wizards with one scroll is min.

No hero killers- chaos has some scary and very point effective hero's that can do really good damage. You'll need those heros to kill other heros... other wise with only good swing of a magical choppa, a whole unit of knights can die.

The combo of problems leaves you too unprotected: one good magic missile, scary hero or.. hell, swordmasters, and your toast.

ALL THESE PROBLEMS CAN BE FIXED, just remove the dragon and put in some cheaper characters and mark the knights. At 620 points you should be able to mark three units and maybe fill the commands and still get three good heros. Two tooled combat heros on mounts should be 300 and the wizard mounted I think you can do for 200. 120 for better knights and your list is much more balanced. Personally, I'm very worried about doing a dragon in under 3000.

Basically don't change your list if you want to win big or lose big. But for balanced games or anything with any magic I'd say the dragon has to go. Its dangerous and risky to put a thrid of your army in one unit... people seem to think putting a thrid of their army in one character or "unit with a character"(slann w. temple gaurd.) doesn't count.. but it does.

If you really want the dragon... make a three thousand list. Add some more knights and horsemen, realistic heros. actually would only be about another 75 bucks US and you'll be slaying children and puppies in no time!

bork da basher
22-09-2008, 21:15
the horsemen are core so the list is legal, also shaggoths will be in the new book. ive done my homework.

im usually against putting all your eggs in one basket and im not sold on the dragon yet, however if i drop the dragon im still using a lord which will still tie up 250pts more or less and will then more or less be confining him to a unit of knights which will end up costing about 500pts so either way its a big lot of points tied up with him. he's far more versatile on a dragon and he isnt needed in a knights unit to win combats. this way i have a means to destroy artillery/shooting and hes powerful enough to smash most units by himself, not to mention flight, terror and breath weapon. it'll be either lord on dragon or lord in knights and either way im spending 1/4 of my points more or less. yes i'll be able to buy either more knights (not many) or more horseman (do i really need more?? no) but theres no variation then. when the plastic chariot kit is released i'll proberly include a pair of them and bump the lord down then.

overall this army isnt designed to be anything other than models i like which i can make a good list from. magic im not bothered about. i either take lots or dont bother at all and with such an in your face army as this i dont think it'll play a huge roll in the game and i dont really play magic heavy armies as it is anyway. i find you need two lvl2 mages to get a few spells through the average magical defenses of your average army which is pretty expensive for chaos so i dont really want to go that direction, also they would have to be mounted and go in a knights unit or marauder unit, either one is totally the wrong place for a wizard as these are dedicated combat units where they would be at risk or in the case of the horsemen lightly armoured and fragile (would also loose fast cav bonus)

i did think dragon ogres before shaggoth but the models are god awful otherwise id have taken 3 of them instead.

narrativium
22-09-2008, 21:31
I don't know if you are being narrow minded or if you are not aware of the rumours floating around but...I suppose a combination of both, though I try to be open-minded. I don't pay much attention to rumours (though, I wonder how one derives a full and reviewable army list from a rumour), and I'm preparing for the grand tournament (for which the new book will not be out in time anyway) so I'd rather not confuse myself over rulesets. I have been aware of issues over the get-you-by list and players who've favoured keeping the Hordes book list minus Daemon choices; I just hadn't been aware there was a list out there at present which made this combination potentially legal. I stand corrected.

bork da basher
22-09-2008, 21:38
there is nothing concrete and maybe i should have stated thus in my origonal post but judging by the huge amount of rumours floating around from various people and sources it isnt hard to make a list up, especially considering it contains only 4 differant units + lord. im pretty confident that the finished AB will give me something close to the final points cost of what i have here.

the army might change a dozen times between now and then so it doesnt really matter i just wanted to share a thought more than anything.

Valaraukar
22-09-2008, 22:07
Well several of us have seen the finished book at GD so I'd be very surprised if much of it had changed, a few of the items gifts and special rules etc. are still a bit iffy from memory but the majority is correct and the above army would be legal under the new ruleset not sure if the points are all correct or not though plus your marauder horsemen will probably want some equipment on them like spears and possibly throwing axes plus armour.

LION
23-09-2008, 12:54
:)Regardless if you stick with the Dragon or dump it, try a few chariots.

My current chaos army is mostly mounted and I have found that 8 MHorsemen with flails & full command combine spectacularly with a chariot. LION

bork da basher
24-09-2008, 08:35
chariots will definitly make it in the list when the new plastic kit comes out. the metal one is an abomination lol

123DeMaere
25-09-2008, 00:25
i find you need two lvl2 mages to get a few spells through the average magical defenses of your average army which is pretty expensive for chaos so i dont really want to go that direction, also they would have to be mounted and go in a knights unit or marauder unit, either one is totally the wrong place for a wizard as these are dedicated combat units where they would be at risk or in the case of the horsemen lightly armoured and fragile (would also loose fast cav bonus)

Mounted Chaos Mages??? Really? 2+ armour save, T4, and can get magical protection? Thats why Chaos Mages are so much, putting 2 str4 attacks isn't a big drop from 2 str5... and you can easily make a chaos mage harder to wound then a normal knight and can they only do certain spells in BtB(or like within 12 or 18). They fit right in with knights, they're just expensive.

As for your lord problem... I can't settle that until I know what mark you wantta be! a lord on a disc or steed of Slaanesh could be fast enough... besides, war machines are the job of hounds and mar. calvary. Lords need to kill knights and other scary bosses... I mean, throw him on a disc and chagre in... do you think 5+d6 attacks at str6-8 can't kill some knights? then have the hounds go W.M hunting and knights kill the blocks. Or you could just use a Daemon prince..Fancy new DP model coming.

Like I said, its hard for me to say without knowing what mark your using, what lore you are/are not using or what changes your willing to make. If you don't want any magic thats fine, but I still don't think the Dragon is a good idea at 2000

lcfr
25-09-2008, 01:10
To avoid the points trouble that a dragon will cause you at 2K why don't you consider the manticore option? Ought to free up at least a hundred points that can go towards buying a scroll caddie.