PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs 2000pts

Greebynog
23-09-2008, 17:16
Ahoy there all, I'm new to this forum, and haven't played fantasy in a couple of years. I'm getting back into the hobby, and would greatly appreciate any help and advice given with regards to my army list. So here goes:

Runesmith, 2x Rune of Spellbreaking, Shield, Rune of Stone

Thane, Shield, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving

Thane, BSB Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Preservation

19 Warriors, Shields, FC

19 Longbeards, Shields, FC, Rune of Battle,

14 Hammerers, Shields, FC, Rune of Determination*

16 Warriors, Shields, FC

10 Thunderers, Shields

10 Quarellers, Shields

Cannon, Rune of Forging

Organ Gun

Gyrocopter

8 Miners

1997pts

I'm considering dropping the non-bsb thane for a naked Dragon slayer to run about behind my lines protecting warmachines and adding himself to combats; and with the points saved add more warriors to the units and maybe give a unit great weapons. Any suggestions?

Ta.

Bran Dawri
23-09-2008, 19:21
Let's see. The 16-strong warrior unit should be either 15 or 18; you need to be 5 wide to receive a rank bonus these days. Personally, I'd probably drop the unit altogether and use its points for the upgrades you suggested rather than the Thane of Pain.

I'd also not bother with the rune of preservation for your BSB. I'd also try to squeeze in a unit slayers, and increase the hammerers' unit size.
Also, give the thunderers a champion with brace of pistols. Stand and Shoot without modifiers to hit at short range is good times. Maybe increase size to 12, but that's presonal preference.
8 miners should be 10 (for +1 rank bonus), or 5/6 - I'd go for 6 myself.
Maybe throw in a MRO Challenge somewhere.

Greebynog
23-09-2008, 20:54
That's great, cheers for that, it's amazing how different the advice is when you talk to different people! Here's what I got on another forum:

reduce the number of Hammerers maybe to 15 (or even 12 if needed) // (with Stubborn, near BSB, they wont flee).

2. Drop 2 miners (point effective unit of miners is 7-8 models (there was a post about it somewhere at the forum)).

3. For the points you gained during steps 1 & 2 buy another unit of Warriors with shields.

Further comments... I don't know how many points are there left. But you could use help of some hard hitting character. Just a thought.

!

I'll certainly take your suggestions onboard when I revise my list.

Cheers.

bork da basher
24-09-2008, 08:33
its a solid list and needs nothing major done to it IMO. however personnally id tweak it a bit. the BSB id just give the master rune o gromril to, any more is giving away points as BSB assassination is quite normal these days.

id also drop the unit champions, the points for the extra attack is a waste

the unit of 16 warriors IMO is too small, i run 20 minimum for warriors as they need their full CR to win combats without a charecter in there. id be tempted to drop this unit for some more artillery or try and fit a unit of ironbreakers in.

this is just how id do it mind but your list is fine as is really.

Bran Dawri
24-09-2008, 16:04
As far as the hammerers are concerned, it really depends on what you want to do with them. If you want them as a roadblock, then 12-15 will do fine.
If you want ot actually win combats and be able to grind down heavy cav and the like, you need at least 18 with a character.

Miners are not at their optimum with 7-8 members (at least for warmachine hunting/flankcharging purposes). Either get 10 for a rank bonus and to have a bit of buffer vs enemy shooting, or 5/6 to get full attacks vs a warmachine crew and negate rank bonuses/marchblock.
7/8 is a nonsensical number to me.

The rest is up to personal prefernce really. As has been said, the basis of your list is solid. Any suggestions given boil down to finetuning.

Greebynog
24-09-2008, 16:38
Cheers for the help guys.

The hammerers are intended just to sit and hold against charges. They will be getting a character, and the advantage of this is a unit of fully ranked hammerers with character are scary and very easy to avoid, people are more likely to charge a smaller unit, who will hold automatically with the rune of determination and stubborn, and I can then hit them in the flanks hopefully.

Here's what I'm thinking; it's a bit of a squeeze to add another rank to the warriors, I think I might drop one and deploy in three ranks of 5 like the hammerers. If I do this and drop the rune of preservation I can get two more miners (I really like the miner models) and the rune of fire for my cannon to deal with regenerating stuff. Sound good?

Quetzl
24-09-2008, 16:49
As Bran Dwari said, make sure you've got 5 in a rank :) And you will be fine

Greebynog
25-09-2008, 01:53
I've had a brainwave, why take warriors when I can have slayers! So my list now looks like this:

Thane, BSB Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance

19 Warriors, Shields, FC

15 Slayers

10 Thunderers, Shields

10 Quarellers, Shields

Cannon, Rune of Forging

Organ Gun

Gyrocopter

10 Miners

2000pts

Much better, I think.

maze ironheart
25-09-2008, 10:09
I've had a brainwave, why take warriors when I can have slayers! So my list now looks like this:

Thane, BSB Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance

19 Warriors, Shields, FC

15 Slayers

10 Thunderers, Shields

10 Quarellers, Shields

Cannon, Rune of Forging

Organ Gun

Gyrocopter

10 Miners

2000pts

Much better, I think.

I take the 15 unit of slayers my self did wonders against a unit of grave guard with 2 vampires one holding the armys standard held them for 4 turns.It's a very good list every I would only say drop the miners without the runelord they can only at best claim table quarters maybe replace them with another cannon.

Greebynog
26-09-2008, 22:02
Hmm, I like your thinking. I've taken a look at the book, I don't really fancy another cannon to be honest, but I might use those 110pts another way.

So no miners and:

2 Bolt throwers with engineers for bs4 = 120 (would have to snip something from my list to do this)

or

Grudgethrower with rune of accuracy = 105 (could use the extra 5 for rune of burning on the cannon or the thrower)

or

Keep the miners.

Any thoughts on which would be more useful? I'm leaning towards the grudgethrower, as I loved my rocklobber in my old goblin army.

happy_doctor
26-09-2008, 23:00
Your revised list is great as it stands.

Don't drop the miners, they will give you the edge against shooty opponents (or, at least, save your troops from a round of shooting).

You won't need another warmachine, but you could always tweak your choices to see what fits your style (for example, swapping the cannon for a grudge thrower).

Another point to consider is getting a lone dragon slayer: since you've got the character slot, it's a great way to spend 50 points! I currently run 3 in my list, and I like them a lot.

Anyway, try the list out, learn its weaknesses and strengths and you'll be ok!

Greebynog
27-09-2008, 00:28
Cheers for that, I'll stick with that as my shopping list then, the whole miner vs warmachine thing was just tinkering I guess. Your combined help has been invaluable, cheers.

maze ironheart
27-09-2008, 10:20
Cheers for that, I'll stick with that as my shopping list then, the whole miner vs warmachine thing was just tinkering I guess. Your combined help has been invaluable, cheers.

Just to point out I used miners on an empire army basicly got shot dead I just thought that maybe use the points to get something like the grudge thrower the 2 bolt throwers are good use them to file down ranks I too am revising my old dwarf list has done me good but time to change.

Greebynog
28-09-2008, 00:20
I think I'll go with the miners to start with, I like the models and am planning on getting the army box, so I'll have a few kicking about. I'll see how that works out before I think about the grudgethrower/bolt throwers. Cheers for the input though, it all helps.