PDA

View Full Version : Black Reach Dreadnought can't Pose!

Scion of Ferrus
24-09-2008, 14:02
Hello People.

I got the Black Reach box yesterday and was assembling the new Dreadnought and noticed that due to the moulds that it cannot turn its hips.
the Sarcophagus goes all the way under the model to the top of the hips. The dread is cool for the new Power Plant, Multi-Melta and better Close Combat Arm fingers.
So its conversion time for me.

Cheers!:chrome:

EVIL INC
24-09-2008, 14:12
LOL, well you cant expect all the same bells and whistles that come with the seperate box set dread but for the price, its still a steal. Good luck. :)

Vepr
24-09-2008, 14:24
I was crushed when I found I could not pose mine in that devastating runway model glance over your shoulder come-hither look. :cries:

ernest101
24-09-2008, 15:21
well, you did buy it in an EXTREMELY low price, thats why i don't buy aobr

PondaNagura
24-09-2008, 15:23
yep, though the torso twist in the ultimate length of posing a dread anyways. they're kind of an inflexible model to start with. a ball and socket wiast makes a hard snap fit

toymaker
24-09-2008, 15:24
The old Chaos Dread molds are just as unposeable. It's why I use Imperial Dread as templates for my Chaos Dreads

alex03
24-09-2008, 18:08
My little dissapointment was that the arm strut that sticks out and you snap the weapon arm onto is smaller than the actual dreadnoughts arm strut. No easy arm swaps for me. So either your stuck with a multimelta, you glue a normal dread's arm on permanently, or you rig up a magnetized scheme for all your dreads.

Really they could have easily made it the same size, but im sure they didnt for that very same reason.

maelstrom66669
24-09-2008, 18:57
Considering you paid around a dollar and a half for your dreadnought, I dont see the problem. Its not hard to cut em up and change em anyway, being so cheap its a good opportunity to learn to actually convert things...

Egaeus
24-09-2008, 19:11
My little dissapointment was that the arm strut that sticks out and you snap the weapon arm onto is smaller than the actual dreadnoughts arm strut. No easy arm swaps for me. So either your stuck with a multimelta, you glue a normal dread's arm on permanently, or you rig up a magnetized scheme for all your dreads.

Really they could have easily made it the same size, but im sure they didnt for that very same reason.

I have to agree that this is a pretty significant downside. Just consider that if they had made an effort to make it the same they may have sold quite a few dreadnought weapon arm sprues.

A marketing opportunity missed, IMHO.

alex03
24-09-2008, 19:11
Oh, I know how to convert things. I've even magnatized stuff. I would just rather not have too as I have limited time, and I was hoping for EASY swaps and non perm fixes. Actually now Im thinking of finding a round plastic piece the same size as the original dreads strut and replacing the black reach dreads strut. Hmmmm.

BTW nice Vicious pic. "THEN WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?" bang toss bang. Good stuff.

maelstrom66669
24-09-2008, 19:16
I'd never actually purchased a dreadnought before due to the price, Ill pay 50-55 dollars for a landraider, cause its just too awesome looking, but I wasnt about to pay that for a robot that looks about like a ninja turtle. I bought black reach as a start to my chaos army, the dread was first thing I cut to pieces, added various spikes, and zombie pieces from fantasy, as well as making a second CCW from the multimelta, now its looks great(I admit it did take a while) and I would rather it take me several hours to model it, than pay for a chaos dread...

Maine
24-09-2008, 20:16
I have to agree that this is a pretty significant downside. Just consider that if they had made an effort to make it the same they may have sold quite a few dreadnought weapon arm sprues.

Perhaps they'd prefer to sell more $40 dreadnaughts than AOBR sets + $10 weapon sprues. I imagine the profit margins would be MUCH higher on selling individual dreadnaughts - I have heard that they may actually be losing money on AOBR.

maelstrom66669
24-09-2008, 21:00
Perhaps they'd prefer to sell more $40 dreadnaughts than AOBR sets + $10 weapon sprues. I imagine the profit margins would be MUCH higher on selling individual dreadnaughts - I have heard that they may actually be losing money on AOBR.

I highly doubt they are losing money on AOBR, a more likely thing would be, not making as much as they COULD on it. Had they actually put the fully poseable models in the set, then they might be taking a loss. Anyone remember Heroquest? It had around 50 non poseable models, a game board, and a bunch of plastic and cardboard furniture, card, etc in it and sold for $20. I guarantee they had number crunchers figure it all out before they started making it, their getting their money out of it, or you never would have seen it.

Ben
24-09-2008, 22:01
Heroquest was a long time ago. It was also produced by MB games as mass production item.

While plastic sprues are cheaper to make the moulds for now heroquest is not a good basis for comparison, though the 2nd ed boxed set might be (with two or three distinct sprues, I can't remember which). Technology has improved significantly since the mid-nineties, but there are some rises in material costs (notably paper, probably the most expensive in raw materials terms element) and transport.

GW will be making a profit on the black reach kits, and with magnetising or if you are willng to stick with options permanently, green stuff, you can fit any dreadnought arms you like to the black reach dread body.

Shipmonkey
24-09-2008, 22:53

Not much of a missed opportunity really. GW doesn't sell the dread arm spures seperatly anymore.

zoodog
25-09-2008, 00:30
I highly doubt they are losing money on AOBR, a more likely thing would be, not making as much as they COULD on it.

This was a discussion in another thread they were losing money on it at the old starter set price for Battle at Skull Pass, but they now make a slight bit of money on it, unless of coarse you by it direct from GW. The idea that people already playing the game would buy multiple sets was not originally factored in to the pricing.

Lord Raneus
25-09-2008, 00:37
Oh well, it comes with a weapon not boxed with the original Dreadnought, as you said.

The trade-off is worth it, IMO.

alex03
25-09-2008, 06:15
Oh yeah, its definitely worth every penny even if not converted, I’m just trying to squeeze every last cent out of it (like gw is trying to do to me!).

Warforger
25-09-2008, 06:26
The old Chaos Dread molds are just as unposeable. It's why I use Imperial Dread as templates for my Chaos Dreads

Isen't it the current model? Because I don't remeber it being updated, and if you mean the 1st ed ones, well they look nothing like they do now.....

Dude for about 20 more dollars from a dreadnought set you get the starter set, which includes a dreadnought and is for starters, so the dread should be easy to make.

Killgore
25-09-2008, 13:36
about people complaining about it being hard to swap weapons for the BR dreads....

why not use blue tac? the plastic dread arms weigh hardly anything, blue tac will do the job easily

Feor
25-09-2008, 14:47
I'm wondering why people are surprised that a model from a starter kit isn't posable. Were you also dissappointed that the tac marines couldn't turn at the waist?

The set is design with 12 year olds who've never assembled a model before in mind. So everything is easy, alot of it doesn't even require glue (though it helps), and the details are somewhat poor. The only thing I might have had be "full" sprues as we have normally would be the two commanders, or maximum customizability and to give the kids a taste of the real hobby.

Lostanddamned
25-09-2008, 14:57
Indeed the AoBR Dread isnt poseable, but really as said before - what did you expect. However my AoBR based marine army has 2 Dreads, one with Multimelta and DCCW, the other with Lascannon and Misslie Launcher (left over from an old dread)

I think that they look pretty cool being all solid and static like that, but to the person who claimed that the waist is the be all and end all of Dread posing I present my BT dread - notice that it has arm posing - it is possible, its just a whole load more work...

Egaeus
27-09-2008, 17:16
about people complaining about it being hard to swap weapons for the BR dreads....

why not use blue tac? the plastic dread arms weigh hardly anything, blue tac will do the job easily

Actually that is what I used to use for all my weapon swaps. And the good thing is that the pegs on the ABR dread are slightly smaller so in the end it really isn't a big deal. It's just sort of offputting after reading the WD article on how they did all the jiggering to make the best use of sprues and get all the things they did in there while "overlooking" (purposely or not) such a relatively simple thing.

keatsmeister
27-09-2008, 17:24
@ Lostanddamned

Nice :D