PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn and Fear

Grom Wronghand
26-09-2008, 21:44
Last week I played a game using Dwarfs versus Daemons. Near the end, his plague bearers charged my organ gun and did nothing, but still won combat. They outnumbered and caused fear so my opponent said I'd need snake eyes so stay. I however was under the impression that because the crew were stubborn (gunner's pride rule), I could get by with a 9. Who was right? Thanks.

Lord Zarkov
26-09-2008, 21:56
If a unit is outnumbered by a fear causing enemy then they require Insane Courage (Snake Eyes) to pass regardless of if they have stubborn or not (read the fear rules in the psychology section).

narrativium
26-09-2008, 22:57
Stubborn only lets you ignore modifiers to combat resolution. Fear isn't a modifier.

gorenut
27-09-2008, 00:01
Yea.. unfortunate and a constant grumble amongst players.. but your opponent was correct on this one.

Spirit
27-09-2008, 01:41
It might make sense if you think of fear as an "instant fail" (as it was before insane courage came about... stupid rule...)

You have failed the LD test as soon as the outnumbering fear causer wins combat, the roll is simply for another special rule to take effect, not to see if you "Pass a Leadership test"

If you see what i mean...

Mireadur
27-09-2008, 07:46
Dont you have a rulebook at hand while playing? I hope you did let your friend the reason on that one!

Ive always found fear a cool rule. Dunno why so many complaints about it, specially considering it has already been nerfed in this edition by requiring the fear causing side to have a higher US exclusively with fear causing models (before just needed 1 fear causing model and higher US to make you flee).

Atrahasis
27-09-2008, 09:58
it has already been nerfed in this edition by requiring the fear causing side to have a higher US exclusively with fear causing models (before just needed 1 fear causing model and higher US to make you flee).Not so, the rules for outnumbering by a fear causer were the same in 6th as they are now.

Grom Wronghand
27-09-2008, 10:57
OK, thanks a lot guys. I thought that might be the case unfortunately.

Mireadur
27-09-2008, 15:02
are you sure? i think theres a small difference in the wording between both editions but ill have to check when im able.

gortexgunnerson
29-09-2008, 19:39
Yep he's right you had to be outnumbered by the fear causing enemy in both 6th and 7th.