PDA

View Full Version : Obliterators And Marks

Carcass
11-11-2005, 21:03
Why there are no obliterators with a mark ?
An obliterator is supposed to be like that because of a contagion that's in the Warp. Why isn't there any world eater marine , or an emperor's children that has attracted this contagion and in result became one of these behemoths ?

DarkstarSabre
11-11-2005, 21:15
Actually it's not so much a contagion as a nano-virus.

It has a lot more to do with the Marine's mindset as well. Obliterators are slow and methodical and precise with little or no emotion....and that's before the 'change'.

Emperor's Children and World Eaters are far, far too emotional to become Obliterators and Thousand Sons are dead and dust. Death Guard? Again, they have their own more virulent contagions, probably strong enough to drive off the nano-virus....

Carcass
11-11-2005, 21:19
Hmm... the only thing that i know about oblis is from the codex. Can you give me a link to an article that it's more detailed ?

Tastyfish
11-11-2005, 23:50
Its in one of the Iron warrior novels, or at least I presume so - one where they go onto the Hiveship infected with the nano-virus (Storm of Iron I think)

Talkie Toaster
12-11-2005, 01:41
IIRC, the Codex mentions it's contracted (note: I mean accidentally contracted, this isn't relating to IW purposely spreading it) by spending too much time in the Warp, and Daemons sort of taking host in their armour and melding it to the marine. Presumably a devotee of one of the Big Four would be protected to a degree from unwanted Daemonic attention.

Frodo34x
12-11-2005, 12:10
The novel Daemon World (I think that's it) has some more interesting stuff about Obliterators.

malika
12-11-2005, 13:40
I guess there are Obliterators with the Mark, but that they are not present in the game because it would overpower certain players. Remember that rules and fluff dont mix.

SAMAS
12-11-2005, 15:44
How would you do a cult Obliterator, anyway?

Khorne ones would be kind of redundant, as they're far too slow to get into combat for the most part.

Slaaneshi Obliterators would have all the Sonic Weapons, I would think. Power Weapons, Daemonic Talons, or Lashes of Torment instead of Power Fists.

Nurgle Obliterators would make for some nasty meat shields. Probably take out the heavy weapons in exchange, though.

I would see Tzeentchian Obliterators as being flame-spewing monstrosities using all three templates somehow.

Hideous Loon
13-11-2005, 07:58
That could actually work. Yeah, we all know that Thousand Sons (yea, ashes to ashes and dust to dust) don't really have any bodies to possess, but there are other Fallen Tzeentch Space Marine Chapters, are there not?

But then again, how would Nurgle Oblits work, without heavy weapons? Basically, you have a laddie who can form all kinds of weaponsfrom his tortured flesh, but due to restrictions, he can only "make" assault weapons and powerfists. Wouldn't a normal squad of normal Chaos Space Marines work better?

Helicon_One
13-11-2005, 14:56
It might help if you think of it in a different way: Obliterators are Space Marines with the 'Mark Of The Obliterator', hence they can't be Marked a second time.

Tim

malika
13-11-2005, 15:07
The Obliterator thing isnt a Mark...its a virus IIRC.

Why cant the Death Guard have heavy weapons? THE CODEX DOESNT REFLECT THE BACKGROUND!!!

Helicon_One
13-11-2005, 20:55
That "virus" could just be the method by which the Obliterator Mark is bestowed upon favoured subjects, though.

Tim

Khaine's Messenger
14-11-2005, 03:53
The "viral" aspect is just a reference to it being a sort of infection...like chaos armor (bonded to your skin) or similar "gifts," its presence is not exactly granted or inflicted so much as assumed by exposure to particular stimuli. I'm particularly fond of the older explanation that oblits are just Chaos' way of saying to those who try to escape chaos mutations by amputation and bionicization that there is no escape from the warping touch of Chaos. And as with many things "chaos," eventually you won't have much left of your body or your soul. It's quite possible that dedicated oblits or "half"-oblits exist, with the ability to morph bodyparts into whatever weapons they like, but by and far obliterators as we know them are like the Tallymen (Plague-Bearers) of Nurgle in certain lore--their infection when they were mortal ran so deep that it scoured their very souls to the point that there is no claim upon it but the changes wrought by the "infection." It's as good as a mark and for what it's worthy a full obliterator might as well be marked.

In other words? I wouldn't take the "viral" description too seriously.

Lord of ???
14-11-2005, 10:02
I would say that any marine who has been infected with the obliterator virus would become a giant killing machine.

Regardless of who they were worshipping before they dont have much of a mind left at the end other than for how to find and kill enemies.

Darkseer
14-11-2005, 11:45
LOL!

An Emperor's Children obliterator would be a one man band :D

SAMAS
14-11-2005, 13:20
That could actually work. Yeah, we all know that Thousand Sons (yea, ashes to ashes and dust to dust) don't really have any bodies to possess, but there are other Fallen Tzeentch Space Marine Chapters, are there not?

But then again, how would Nurgle Oblits work, without heavy weapons? Basically, you have a laddie who can form all kinds of weaponsfrom his tortured flesh, but due to restrictions, he can only "make" assault weapons and powerfists. Wouldn't a normal squad of normal Chaos Space Marines work better?

Consider the usual Nurgle Enhancement. He goes from T4(5) to just plain 5 or maybe 6. Remember how nasty the old T5 Obliterators were?

Although I suppose maybe the ability to fire two weapons at once wouldn't hurt.

Cosmic_Girl
15-11-2005, 00:43
Hello,

I believe Obliterators originally came from the Iron Warriors legion? In which case they probably do/did bear the mark of undivided.

C-girl.

brother_fandango
15-11-2005, 02:30
so i cant use obies in an EC army? **** me off. i wanted huge pink preverts roaming the battle feild.

nurgle_boy
15-11-2005, 11:01
so i cant use obies in an EC army? **** me off. i wanted huge pink preverts roaming the battle feild.

the name 'mr tummy giggles' comes to mind here...

i can see maybe emps children using the 'virus' to make themselves into one man bands, or a kind, and maybe tzeench for the whole mutant aspect. even nurgle for the bloated part.

as for rules, emps children bristling with blastmasters, txeench with lots of flamer template, and nurgle as a great big meat shield, pumping our nasty goop...

malika
15-11-2005, 11:22
Hello,

I believe Obliterators originally came from the Iron Warriors legion? In which case they probably do/did bear the mark of undivided.

C-girl.

No it first appeared on the Iron Warriors, but that is no proof that is originated from them.

The pestilent 1
15-11-2005, 15:32
I always assumed that the oblitterator "Virus" was the gift of some minor god or other such warp being.
Thusly; The big four would "protect" their own minions from interference.
"Thats my soul ******!" if you will.

malika
15-11-2005, 15:54
That might explain a few things...