PDA

View Full Version : Skill suggestions

Sandals
27-09-2008, 16:59
Hey there.

I am currently running a pretty successful Wood Elf team in my local league, and I've got to the point where I have two players getting their 3rd skill. I haven't played a league of this length in a very long time, and I've forgotten what my usuall skill set is. so can anyone suggest what I should be thinking about?

More info:

Player 1 - Wood Elf Catcher. Already has +1 Str and Block. I tend to use him to run interferance in the middle, so he is much more of a fighter that a normal WE Catcher would be. I'm thinking of actually giving him another combat type skill here rather than a usual catcher skill, Fend or Tackle for example. On the other hand, something along the lines of Diving Catch, Shadowing or Pass Block could be an interesting way to go.

My other catcher has +1 MA, Nerves of Steel and Sprint, and is much better at the catching and scoring siode of things, so I don't have to make this guy a proper reciever as I normally would.

Player 2 - Wood Elf Wardancer. Already has +1 Str (4!) and Tackle. He is my Ace in the hole. Along with another Wardancer who has Side Step and Strip Ball, these two tend to sack anyone who comes near my end of the pitch with the ball. Both can Leap into cages and decimate my opponant's plans, one getting a 2 dice block on almost anyone and the other only needing a push back to cause a dropped ball. The main skill i was considering for this guy was Frenzy, as with MA8 and ST4 he can pretty much guarantee 2 2dice blocks. The main problem with this is the enforced followup, but with AG4 he should be able to get out fine. Aside from the obvious ploy of Sde Step, I;m not sure what else this guy could benifit from.

Any advice would be appreciated! What do you all think?

Cirrus the Blue
28-09-2008, 08:01
You're an evil bastard, you know this, right? :p

Now that we've got that bit out of the way, I'd consider giving Frenzy a try on the Wardancer due to the fact of his Strength and the fact he's already disgustingly powerful with his skills anyways. I've given Block/Frenzy a try with the Skaven on my Chaos team already and it works terriffically well at only Strength 3, so it'd only make it all the more frightful with Strength 4 instead.

Shadowing would also work great on him and this is going off of past experience against a Wood Elf team in the league having used Shadowing on the majority of it's players. At one point in time, my Star Human Catcher had to make 6 *consecutive* dodges to get a TD. He did it, but GEEZ it was nervewracking!! Not everyone can dodge that well, that's for darn sure! Give this tactic a try if you're at a loss for skills to slap on Shadowing to your players 'cause it can seriously work to your advantage on a Wood Elf team. That being said, why not give it a try on your Catcher, too? :)

(edit) Side Step would also be a viable option to put on the Wardancer as it gives him a failsafe for sprinting down the sidelines without any fear of being pushed off the pitch.

- Cirrus

Tennboy
29-09-2008, 15:26
I'd say put side step on both the catcher and Dancer.

Don't get fancy just stick to tactics that work.

Sandals
29-09-2008, 23:20
i have to admit that Side Step is my usual first choice skill for the wardancers. there's something about poncing around the sidelines with impunity that just seems to fit with wood elves... ;-)

but i may try Shadowing on the Catcher and see what happens. with the rate i'm scoring TDs at the moment it won't be long until his next skill so i can afford to waste one!!!

Olaf the Stout
30-09-2008, 00:25
Tackle might also be of use to the Wardancer. I would probably go for Side Step first though. Teams are going to target him so you want to make sure you can move him away from multiple blocks and gang fouls.

And damn, those are some lucky rolls! :D

Olaf the Stout

Marlow
30-09-2008, 09:30
We are really going to have to try harder to kill that Wardancer :)

Catcher #1 Shadowing & then Diving Tackle on a MV 9 player is hard to deal with add Side Step to keep him in place and he will be a nightmare. :evilgrin:

Cathcer #2 Pass Block will help him get those Intercepts :cheese:

Wardancer #1 Frenzy should give you two hits so even if you do not knock down the ball carrier he would be pushed out of the cage into your other players, and a knockdown on the second hit is often better as it is easier to retrieve the ball. I would take Frenzy next and then Side Step at 51 SPP. :angel:

Tennboy
30-09-2008, 13:04
The reason I suggested Side Step, is I tend to try and pick skills that I get the benefit of having them every round.

you really only see the major benefits of Frenzy on Blitzes. So to get most out of the skill, you are saying he is always gonna be the one blitzing, and at ST4/ Block/ Tackle, he is diffenently a great candidate. But you still only get to use the skill once pure turn, But Side Step is used every time the other team hits you and guarantees he never goes crowd surfing. IMHO, having Side Step just pays out more. And having Side Step on a guy has never caused a critical turnover, damn those Double Skulls :(

Sandals
30-09-2008, 16:47
We are really going to have to try harder to kill that Wardancer :)

no, please don't, i like him! ;-)

Wardancer #1 Frenzy should give you two hits so even if you do not knock down the ball carrier he would be pushed out of the cage into your other players, and a knockdown on the second hit is often better as it is easier to retrieve the ball. I would take Frenzy next and then Side Step at 51 SPP. :angel:

this is probably the way i'm going to go. i do appriciate what your saying about active and passive skills, Tennboy, and i agree. however, the other wardancer has Side Step and for once i'm trying to be a little unique about their skill set, especially considering how lucky i've been getting skills so far.

Still not sure about the Catcher though. Shadowing would work well with Diving Tackle, but i really don't like skills that leave expensive players on the ground! Though if he then took Jump Up... hmmmm.....

Damnit!

Marlow
01-10-2008, 09:24
Still not sure about the Catcher though. Shadowing would work well with Diving Tackle, but i really don't like skills that leave expensive players on the ground! Though if he then took Jump Up... hmmmm.....It works best on players with Tackle so they can not use a Dodge Reroll however a succesful Diving Tackle will be a turn over for the opponent and you can decide when to use it after seeing the dice roll. :cool: Jump Up is great too as it helps with scoring and Blocking.

Tennboy
01-10-2008, 16:09
If the choice between Shadowing and DT, I'd go Shadowing for the sheer purpose of running the opponent out of RR. The opponent will eventually fail the dodge roll, even if its an elf, then they will press their luck with the RR and fail it again (Nuffle is like that).

However, for the record I'd like to say that I'd still go Side Step first. Cause whats the point of shadowing if you get blocked off the ball carrier???

So, Side Step/ Shadowing/ Diving Tackle in that order.