PDA

View Full Version : How not to write a Beastmen list

Harwammer
27-09-2008, 17:23
How not to write a beastmen list:

I need a real hitty main block. Fronted by a good combat hero. Khorne wargor with bear's anger sounds good. This means the bestigor must be unmarked so I can mix a shaman with the khorne wargor in the unit. I'll also throw in a nurgle hero for fear protection.

259 17 bestigor. Unmarked, full command. Vitriolic Totem (poison attacks)
130 Khorne wargor. heavy armour, shield, great weapon, pelt of the dark young
173 Tzeentch wargor. heavy armour, great weapon, the goretooth (bear's anger spell), enchanted shield
189 Nurgle wargor BSB. heavy armour beast banner (+1A per model)

I can't just have one big block. I need another hitty unit.

352 20 bestigor. Khorne, full command. War banner.

I need two herds so I can take these blocks (they can double up as screeners).

60 5/5 herd. Musician
60 5/5 herd. Musicain

hmmm... those units will draw alot of missile fire... I need distraction

205 chaos giant
205 chaos giant

I need a general... and more magic so my bear's anger can go through! but I also need more rank breakers.

365 Great bray shaman. Level 4, chariot. Chaos armour, crown of horns, Staff of Darkoth.

... damn. I ran out of points.

1998 points
8PD
7DD

Any advice on how not to write a beastman list? :D

WhiteKnight
27-09-2008, 19:12
Yet another invalid BoC concept. Daemons can only mix units with marks of chao gods around. If your general has a Mark of Chaos Undivided, then you can mix marks around but Minotaurs can only have mark of chaos undivided.

Time of Madness
27-09-2008, 20:51
Any advice on how not to write a beastman list? :D

You did a pretty good job without taking any advice. This could possibly be the worst 2000pt beast list I've seen. You basically have 2 units of bestigors and 2 giants. You have nearly 900pts spent in fairly useless characters. Beast armies tend to excel with cheap characters and a large number of support units.
Time of Madness

Harwammer
28-09-2008, 10:27
Yet another invalid BoC concept. Daemons can only mix units with marks of chao gods around. If your general has a Mark of Chaos Undivided, then you can mix marks around but Minotaurs can only have mark of chaos undivided.

Crud! you're right, the list is invalid, but not for the reason you list. The general (the shaman) is undivided. The marked characters are all in an unmarked unit. This is allowed. The list was invalid because I didn't have any Tzeentch or Nurgle mark units for two of the heroes. This is now fixed.

You did a pretty good job without taking any advice. This could possibly be the worst 2000pt beast list I've seen. You basically have 2 units of bestigors and 2 giants. You have nearly 900pts spent in fairly useless characters. Beast armies tend to excel with cheap characters and a large number of support units.
Time of Madness

Indeed, the point of the thread is a guide of what process NOT to go through when writing an army. I also suggest the characters are not useless; in the original incarnation one of them alone was putting out 8 poisoned strength six attacks...

Revamped legit list (fixed a few points and marks issues):

365 Great bray shaman. General. Undivided. Level 4, chariot. Chaos armour, crown of horns, Staff of Darkoth.

165 Tzeentch wargor. heavy armour, shield, great weapon, the goretooth (bear's anger spell)
189 Nurgle wargor BSB. heavy armour, The Beast Banner
282 19 bestigor. Unmarked, full command. Vitriolic Totem (poison attacks)

105 Khorne wargor. heavy armour, shield, great weapon.
303 19 bestigor. Khorne, full command.

105 Chariot. Tzeentch
135 Chariot. Nurgle

65 5/6 herd. Musician
60 5/5 herd. Musicain

225 chaos giant. Mutant monstrosity

1998 points
9PD
7DD