View Full Version : General 2000pt High Elf army vs any army

wamphyri101
28-09-2008, 14:07
Lord : (150)
Great weapon (12) Dragon Armour (9) Null Stone (100): 271pts

Battle Standard : (110)
Great weapon (8) Dragon Armour (6) Talisman of Hoeth (45): 169pts

Noble: (85)
Great weapon (8) Longbow (10) Talisman of light (15) Shield (2) Shadow Armour (25):145pts

Mage: (100)
Lvl 2 (35) Jewel of the dusk (15) Dispel scroll (20): 170pts

Total: 755pts

10 Spearmen (with mage)
Full command (25): 105pts

10 Spearmen

Total: 210pts

15 White lions (with lords) (225)
Full command (30) :255pts

15 sword masters of hoeth (with battle standard) (225)
Full command (30) Banner of Sorcery (50): 305pts

Lion Chariot: 140pts

6 Shadow Warriors: (with noble) 96pts

Total: 936pts

Great Eagle: 50pts

Total: 100pts

Army total: 2001pts

5pd + d3
4dd + scroll

Plan is 2 main special units move forwards, flanked by the spearmen with lion chariots a bit behind. Shadow warriors + noble run around around harassing what they can (warmachines, chariots etc) and with the talisman can damage ethereal things.
Chariots can either hold back for counter charges or run off up the sides supported by either the great eagles and/or shadow warriors.

White lions + lord can take on heavy armour targets, also due to the null stone get real close to vampires etc to hack them apart and not allow them to cast spells

Swordmasters + battle standard to generally hack through things.

For magic, I can either go defensive with both bs and mage casting drain magic/dispelling + my one scroll, and due to having the banner/jewel I can also go slightly offensive with spells depending what army I play against

The other reason i have the null stone is at my games club i face sooo many "huge units of death" that have like bs, tooled up lord, unit standard etc or some 600 vampire lord. Put a smile on my face when they realise nothing works anymore and they cant casts spells withing 6'

LION
29-09-2008, 06:26
:) An interesting take on the pointyeared whiter than white ones. Only fear is that those 2 10spearelf full command units are a bit of a frail points target for opponent. Very costly bait? LION

wamphyri101
29-09-2008, 08:23
I agree that 2 units of spear elves are a bit frail, but this is because I’m not sitting back and shooting which would make archers a bit redundant and lothern seaguard are out of my points level (unless I ditch the command and make them seaguard but that would make them 130pts with no command)

At 105 points each it means I can change tactics. Maybe use them as a missile screen for my main units or just have them hold back and try and take table corners. Was toying with ditching the standards and just taking and extra elf meaning they wouldn't loose 100extra points if broken in combat

Countsprattcula
29-09-2008, 20:26
I like the list, nice ideas also i would definatly field one of those 2 units of spearmen as missile screen for the Sword Masters as well they die to missile fire :( but hopefully that should draw fire to the White Lions which is no problem with their lion cloaks.

Nice ideas, CS

mattjgilbert
29-09-2008, 20:57
Agree as above that the weak point in this list is the make-weight spearmen. These units are easy to pick off and then you are down to only 2 infantry blocks, neither of which are going to be outnumbering anyone or getting a full rank bonus. Try it but I think it's risky.

WhiteKnight
29-09-2008, 22:27
Alright, here's my analysis.

The lord is in a good unit, probably the easiest way to **** of vampires. This unit should target the lords unit if facing vampires.

The spearmen have points missing. They're 9 points each and with 10, thats 90. Plus 25 from the command equals 115. I would rather have two units of archers for some shooting support since you only have shadow warriors.

The 3rd noble isn't really necessary. It won't really do much so why not just have 2 mages and 2 combat characters. You need magic against armies like Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, and the annoying Skaven magic.

I think you need more units of hard hitters. The great eagles are good, but 1 bolt thrower can help out a lot.

And on a last note, consider just making the second mage a lv 1 scroll caddy.

wamphyri101
30-09-2008, 18:26
Yup miscounted the spearmen points somewhere. Will probably end up swapping them for Archers not since there only 10pts extra

I have used the 3rd noble before and he has worked wonders on many armys but will see how this turns out when i play

Reason i didnt wanna go for a 2nd mage/scroll caddy is because im bored of that set up. Its like im bored of people using a dragon to win torniments.

This army list is cause i wanted to try something a bit different. Of cause if it doesnt work then i'll just have to try something new :)

wamphyri101
09-10-2008, 19:40
Ok so an update. Played a game with this list so far and it hammered the enermy.

Was a slaanesh chaos mortal player. Army was roughly:
8 hounds
6 chaos knights
20 chosen
20 chaos warriors
20 marauders with flails
20 maruaders
lvl1 scroll caddy
Battle standard with the thing that makes them stubborn
lord with some sword of death and enchanted shield

Lion chariots ripped through his marauders and the white lions nailed his chosen. Null stone worked a charm to take down his banner + lord. Even managed to kill a few knights with the fury of khaine as the jewel/banner/talisman and lvl2 mage worked well

All he had left was 3 knights. Only things i lost were the noble with the shadow warriors and the 2 units of spearmen. The 2 things people said i should ditch lol.

Sooo came up with this list to see what those people think. Even made points to add in a bolt thrower

Great weapon (12) Dragon Armour (9) Null Stone (100):- 271pts

Total: 610pts

10 Archers (with mage): 110pts

10 Archers: 110pts

Total: 220pts

6 Ellyrian Reavers: (with bows): 126pts

Total: 966pts

Bolt thrower: 100pts

Total: 200pts

Army total: 1996pts

Countsprattcula
09-10-2008, 20:27
Good to hear some feedback on how the list played, glad you did well. List looks good. Prehaps another rank and file unit such as a block of 15 spearmen would fit in nicly, but heck its a original list so up to you and it seems things are going well with the list so far. If you wanted another rank and file unit you could always test out how cutting a unit of achers and a great eagle works and then getting a unit of 15 spearmen with full command however this would make your shooting less affective and eagles always find something useful to do.

CS

Magx
10-10-2008, 00:46
Maybe it's because I"m an O&G player but I don't understand putting 10 Spearmen when they fight in three ranks... Don't you should have AT LEAST 3 ranks ?

Tsear
10-10-2008, 04:37
Maybe not so much a criticism as a noob question: How would you army deal with something like a bloodthirster?

wamphyri101
10-10-2008, 18:30
MArgx, reason i dont take ranks of 3 spearmen was the points cost. Means i would have to loose something else and since they are just there to fill core slots since..well our core choice is pretty dull.

Tsear, A bloodthirster. Hmm.

1: Shoot with boltthrower and any magic i can use on it
2: THrough my white lion unit at it. Since the front rank has a mass 9 str 6 attacks I should get a good few wounds as he is same toughness with 5 wounds. That with combat res I hope since he has 7 attacks.
3: Through lion chariots at him. Though just str5 I get 10 attacks from the crew/lions and then the impact hits.
4: Use the Reavers/great eagles to chace him around in circles as doesnt he suffer from Frenzy? Rather loose 100pts of eagles and have him out of the game

Countsprattcula, toying with taking that 3rd unit of infantry (spearmen block) but would still have to take a second core. Maybe drop the Reavers and 10 archers for a block of spearmen. Only problem then is they are left with no character to boost them as yet they will do well against gobbos/humans etc but with just str3 t3 and 6+save then they kinda suck against anything else in combat. I would put the bsb in with them but I have found that swordmasters do need that extra help alot of the time as when you come across heavyly armourd targets and high toughness units they struggle

Maybe something like:

Lord: (150)
Great weapon (12) Dragon Armour (9) Null Stone (100):- 271pts

Battle Standard: (110)

Great weapon (8) Dragon Armour (6): 99pts

Total: 709pts

16 Spearmen: Full command (25) War banner (20): 189pts

Total: 299pts

Total: 840pts

Total: 150pts

Army total: 1998pts

WhiteKnight
16-10-2008, 14:52
Good improvement. I think this will work better in a game. The swordmasters do need a screen so if there's minimal terrain, use the spearmen to soak up damage. The White Lions should work with the spearmen and swordmasters for a mass of attacks at the enemy. And the chariots should rush for the nearest enemy. The eagle should hunt down any warmachines that could take out your chariots and infantry. The bolt thrower and archers should mainly target units that are either cavalry or MSU.

Abduction
16-10-2008, 15:58
I think it looks good. To give your spears some boost you could put the Noble with them, sonce the Whith Lions don't really need both him and the Prince.

wamphyri101
16-10-2008, 20:06
The basic noble is to go with the spearmen (forgot to add that so will mod it now)

Now....The blood thirster issue... Played last night and what did i face! bloody blood thirster.

He had:
2 units of flesh hounds (6 each unit)
2 units daemonettes (14 each unit i think) (with hereld)
1 units of Plague bearers (20 or 25 size with bsb)
Blood thirster

And yes I lost.. Bolt thrower + archers took 1 unit of hounds (with eagle holding it up) while other unit killed by Swordmasters.My spearmen did on the otherhand total 1 unit of daemonettes in 1 round with no losses. Which was nice.

But the damn bloodthirster just ripped through me. mainly I forgot that he counts as a large target so when i thought i had a forrest to protect my chariots flank he just flew over it and smashed through my lion chariot 1 and overran into the side of the swordmasters (who managed to wound him twice) but were busy taking on the hounds, then into the side of the white lions as the plague bearers charged in.

Annoying point in the game was with his Blood thirster taken down to 2 wounds I had 2 rounds of shooting from the BT at him. Did I score 1 wound? No. It was like that whole game though. 11 attacks from the swordmasters and 2 hit the hounds in round 1 of combat.

By the end of the game The spearmen unit, eagle and mage where running and the 6 remaining archers and the boltthower cowered in the corner. Everything had broken and been run down.

Anyway moving on.

Had an idea of swapping the swordmasters for pheonix guard, ditching my lord and takeing the pheonix guard special character for my general, and getting a second bolt thrower. So would look like:

Caradryan: 175pts

Battle Standard: (110)

Great weapon (8) Dragon Armour (6): 99pts

Total: 613pts

16 Spearmen: Full command (25) War banner (20): 189pts

Total: 299pts

15 White lions (with battle standard) (225)

15 Phoenix guard (with caradryan) (225)

Total: 840pts

Total: 250pts

Army total: 2002pts

PARTYCHICORITA
16-10-2008, 20:21
Great weapon (12) Dragon Armour (9) Null Stone (100): 271pts

This build is a suicide, you have a combat character with T3 and a 5+ armor save for 270pts. Anything bigger than a Rank and file model is gonna own his ass.

Same i said about the Prince works for this guy

Great weapon (8) Longbow (10) Talisman of light (15) Shield (2) Shadow Armour (25):145pts
I am not a big fan of scouting nobles, they don't bring anything new Shadow warriors are not already doing

Ok
Total: 755pts

10 Spearmen (with mage)

10 Spearmen
You are giving away free VP for those standards. Also a spear elves unit of 10 models with full command costs more than 105pts

Total: 210pts

Ok

This guys are going down fast so get Shield of Saphery cast on them

2 might be to much, but they are a great support unit

6 Shadow Warriors: (with noble) 96pts
This guys work better w/o characters, they get to much atention otherwise

Total: 936pts

Always a great thing

Total: 100pts

Army total: 2001pts

5pd + d3
4dd + scroll

Over all the list has a good idea behind it however characters are way to fragile even with ASF and magic is a real thread even with the null talisman

wamphyri101
17-10-2008, 19:10
Thanks for the input.
Yeah they have t3 and no armour, but since they asf i kinda hope to kill the enermy before they can hit back. Work well but as the rest of the post shows its kinda a work in progress and has morphed since that first list

izikial
17-10-2008, 19:46
i like the list and its good that it works for you, personaly i wouldnt use the special char but thats becus i dont like special charictors, i think there a bit cheesy, but that depends on your usual metagame and own personal standerds also how well does the null stone work for you, i think it is alot of points for a 6" range especial when compeard to the dark elve ring of hotek, i know that dosnt stop magic but it is almost better it has longer range and it also means you have poins for othere things, i understand thet becus your are high elf then you dotn have a ring of hotek but i think a lvl 1 caddy would be better for anti magic and woul let you make your lord more effectif, one last thing if you put shileds on your lord and heros then you get a bit more armor an then in combat you can use eather the hand wepon and shild for +3 armor save, and +4 from range atacks, or use the great wepon depending on who you face at any given time.

i hope some of wat i sead helps, im jus starting high elfs and im still struggaling with geting my list sorted and i found any help that can be given helped me alot, but you will finde that everyone will have a difrent answer and if you listen to them all then your list wotn be your list any more and it will be 5000pts :)