PDA

View Full Version : Loremaster's Cloak

Alathir
29-09-2008, 10:53
I recently played a game against the new Warriors of Chaos (very impressed, nothing too overwhelmingly powerful - not feeling terrified like I was when I first fought the Deamons or Vampire Counts.)

I had an Archmage in a unit of White Lions with the Loremaster's Cloak (2+ ward to him and the unit against any wounds caused by spells.) and his unit was struck with the new Tzeentch spell 'Treason of Tzeentch' which causes the unit to attack itself.

Does my unit gain a 2+ ward save versus these wounds? We couldnt come to a conclusion so we simply rolled off, it came up I couldnt take the save and so we kept playing.

Any insight on this? I know RAW they pretty much get the save but what are people's thoughts on this?

Gokamok
29-09-2008, 11:18
I don't know the exact wording on either the spell or the cloak, but I would guess that the cloak would only protect against "direct" damage effects.
In this case, I believe the damage is "indirect", in that the effect of the spell is to make your models attack each other, while the damage is done by your own models which translates to a non-magical effect.

Condottiere
29-09-2008, 12:47
Aren't characters immune?

theunwantedbeing
29-09-2008, 12:58
I'de say you can't take the ward save vs damage, as the damage isnt being dealt by the spell, its being dealt by the unit itself.
Similar to how being forced to take a panic test wont allow the cloak to grant any ward save.

spiderfat451
30-09-2008, 00:27
i would think that they do get the save. i think that is the purpose of the cloak is to temper magical damage. you could interperit it to mean that since the archmage with the cloak is with them that the effect on thier minds was not as great and they didnt attack eachother as vicously, represented by the ward save.

still its tricky and im sure not all agree with me...id probably end up doing what you did and rolling a die.

EvC
30-09-2008, 12:33
Probably not. I'd look on it like a Tomb Kings spell letting his catapults shoot, you wouldn't get the save against that...

Alathir
30-09-2008, 15:05
Probably not. I'd look on it like a Tomb Kings spell letting his catapults shoot, you wouldn't get the save against that...

That's good enough for me!

Case closed in my book.