PDA

View Full Version : DE Shade Death Star of Doom.

Limenix
29-09-2008, 12:22
Greetings fellow DE players.
Try this army out , it won't fail you.

-----------------------------------------

2250 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

1 Dreadlord - 240 Pts
General
1 Soulrender
1 Blood Armor
1 Pendant of Khaeleth
1 Crystal of Midnight

1 Master - 132 Pts
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak
1 Ring of Darkness

1 Master (Battle Standard Bearer) - 152 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
1 Banner of Hag Graef

1 Sorceress - 150 Pts
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Ring of Hotek

5 Harpies
5 Harpies

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen

5 Dark Riders
Repeater Crossbow
5 Dark Riders
Repeater Crossbow

11 Shades
Great Weapon

1 Assassin
Extra Hand Weapon
Black Lotus
Touch of Death
Rune of Khaine

6 Cold One Knights
Standard Bearer
1 Banner of Murder

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower

1 War Hydra
2 Beastmasters

Total Roster Cost: 2251

PD -3
DD -3

OK ...
You obviously put ALL characters with the shades.
This will give you an uberunit that ...

1)Always strikes first with 10 STR6 attacks from the characters +
4+D3 killing blow attacks from the assassin.
I'm not even going to count the shades attacks;)
2)Stands and shoots with 22 STR3 BS5 AP attacks.:evilgrin:
3)Is virtually immune to shooting due to Ring of darkness.
Even HE with BS4 will hit on 7's and 6's.
4) Has great magic protection Vs Magic due to Ring of Hotec.
5) Has 365 line of sight.

Thoughts on it:

The shade Death star can Deal with almost anything.
Vs a Dragon , 1st stand and shoot and then challenge with the
Dreadlord.He will most likely deal 1-2 wounds and not take any in return.
So you win by outnumber,BsB,1-2 wounds.That's +4 CR.

In cc nothing can win them.
You just march through the battlefield and assault the enemy
ranks.

Watch out for chariots though.
Have the RBT's deal with them.
Also catapults and auto-hit weapons like
dwarve organ-gun and skaven ratling guns.:cries:

If the enemy focuses on the Death star , have the
CoK's and Hydra shred him apart.

Some ideas to spice things up.

Vs VC you will need a few more magic attacks to deal with ethereal
enemies.
Swap ring of darkness with sword of might OR grimson death.

Try to squeeze in a cold one mount for a character.
For the BsB master more likely as he needs more protection AND the
CO costs 10 points fewer as for the Dreadlord.
This will make the unit immune to fear BUT will risk stupidity.

The assassin might be an overkill and he costs 171 points.
Feel free to replace him with another CoC's unit or something else.

Ok , that's about it.
Enjoy the game.;)

Shamfrit
29-09-2008, 12:53

That's the combined cost of that Shade Unit.

If it dies.

You lose.

I don't mean to point out the obvious but any form of Horde army will just rampage all over you, there is no way in hell this unit could stand up to 6 turns of mass magic, combat or shooting, from Skaven, Undead (who will just tarpit you, and keep doing so) and I would love, love to see you against the Amber Pendant, or similar effect, and have your BSB picked off -)

Suddenly it's not looking so pretty.

Limenix
29-09-2008, 13:30
Even horde armies can't throw more than 2 units at you
at any time.
It will take a VERY poor general to get himself in that kind of trouble.:wtf:

With ASF and a ton of attacks the CR will go through the roof in the DE's
favor.
The assassin can be kept in hidding just in case
someone gets a flank charge on you.
The assassin and the shades (with GW's) can easily deal with any
orc/skaven chargers and wipe the floor with them.

As for the amber pendant ... eee...i don't what this is.
I'm guessing a new chaos mortals item right?
DE will deal with that when the new armybook is out and
will see how it works.

Anyway 11 shades are there to absorb any damage and allow the rest to
charge and kill anything.

I will playtest this list and tell you how it went.

Lord of Skulls
29-09-2008, 13:40
The Amber Pendant is a Wood Elf magic item that forces all enemies in base contact to strike last (overriding ASF).

It should also be pointed out that if you bring that list to a tournament you will quite certainly lose every single game 20-0, seeing at it is illegal...

Malorian
29-09-2008, 13:42
It's different that's for sure. I think it's main weakness is magic. You on't have 3 DD and a scroll, and although it is dangerous to cast spells at them, it's well worth the risk given how pricy and weak they are.

But as you said there are still a lot of other elements to the army.

Give it a try and tell us how it goes : )

Akuma
29-09-2008, 13:50
I have a Question ... Commet of Casandor - The RoH says that his range is 12" not a unit - so if I manage to direct commet so close to you that with 2d6 it will still be able to catch shades and in addition not get cought by RoH - how will you deal with it ?

How will you deal with deamon armys ? lods of 4+ casted magic missiles - on one dice so you cannot RoH it ?

Even with 2D casting I would easly risk the misscast as shades are very small unit - 11 of them very luck commet can get that in one turn ? - Also what about things like Khemri MM from incantrations ?

Ok the shade unit of doom is well knows acctualy but people has developed counters to it already :) ( mortar or cannon anyone ? )

You are just a few weeks late with this news :D

Shamfrit
29-09-2008, 16:16
Plague Censer Bearers would have fun with these too.

Heralds of Nurgle with the Always Strikes Last gift.

I can see it working against some opponents, like the 19 strong Dragon Prince trick I came up against yesterday, but you need to refine it to be truly Death Star.

LION
29-09-2008, 20:07
:confused: 5 charchters in 2000 odd points? Dark Elf Bretonian Fusion Rules? LION

PS My Chaos Dragon's double mint breath weapons may well put them in a shade of trouble.

Violadudester
29-09-2008, 21:37
:confused: 5 charchters in 2000 odd points? Dark Elf Bretonian Fusion Rules? LION

PS My Chaos Dragon's double mint breath weapons may well put them in a shade of trouble.

The assassin does not count as a character or 'hero choice' slot, so his list is very much legal.

But as the list goes, it is very intruiging. The sorceress is a waste imo, just get another master with the ring/gw and whatever else and stick him in the death star unit. BoM on the CoK's is another waste, I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law and to hopefully ensure you'll get that crucial charge off with them, the Banner of Cold Blood would be a better choice I think.

EvC
29-09-2008, 22:04
I've already fought the original "Shade Death Star" army, 45 of them in the one I played. It's actually not hard to beat if you know what you're doing; in my case I simply screened and whizzed across the battlefield, then multiple charged, while using my magic to give my Ogres potent buffs to withstand all the shooting. I would have massacred my opponent with change to spare, except when I broke his unit, he outran both of my pursuing units, rallied, and then killed my Tyrant through extreme jamminess.

This is simply a chump army, designed to beat people through overwhelming them rather than with any actual skill. If you face Tomb Kings, you cannot win- fact (Incantations never miscasting with no dice to stop them, archers hitting on 5+, screaming skulls, etc).

Limenix
29-09-2008, 22:41
Lord of skulls why do you say it's illegal?
Double check these things before you say something...:confused:

This list has been created with the Euro ETC rules in mind.
It's the rules we use in Greece most.
With that in mind , there is a 9 PD limit per turn for any spellcasters.
The highborn has an item that will make a mage forget a spell.
That helps a lot to deal Vs magic.
So the enemy now has PD but less spells to use with.
And from my experience , as soon as the ring of hotec is
revealed , no more spells will come this way.

Plague Censer Bearers and other "tricky" opponents are No1 targets
for the DE gunline.
This armylist packs a heavy punch in the shooting phase
with 102 STR3 AP and 12 STR4 AP shots per round.

You are correct about mortars , but i've never seen anybody use them.
Cannons and pistoliers take up any special slots in Empire armies.

gerrymander61
02-10-2008, 16:39
cannons, mortars, flame templates, catapults, most kinds of artillery that don't use BS will have no problem blowing that unit to hell and back. Even one that does use BS will still destroy your unit because really, what else will they shoot at? Your pathetic amount of harpies won't stand up to what most gunlines have for defense, and your shooting won't stand up to what a dedicated gunline can output on a bad day.

Not only that, but DE eggs-in-one-basket armies fail hard because of eternal hatred. They MUST pursue. Baiting your super unit would be ridiculously easy because any throwaway unit e.g. to kill a 20 strong unit of slaves in one round, you'd have to roll the maximum attacks for your assassin and then hit and wound every single attack to wipe it out in one round. if you fail to kill it in one round, the unit will flee and you will pursue into a trap. Easy breezy.

Oh, and there are plenty of spells that laugh at the 12" range of ring of Hotek that would destroy the unit. To name a few, we have warp lightning, plague (i play skaven), most magic missiles, pit of shades, all of your dark elf spells except for soul stealer... I could go on but i think you get my point. There are a huge number of spells that will destroy your super unit in one or two tries that won't have to think twice about your ring of hotek and that will easily shrug off your measly 3 dispel dice.

SolarHammer
03-10-2008, 02:41
Oh, and there are plenty of spells that laugh at the 12" range of ring of Hotek that would destroy the unit. To name a few, we have warp lightning, plague (i play skaven), most magic missiles, pit of shades, all of your dark elf spells except for soul stealer... I could go on but i think you get my point. There are a huge number of spells that will destroy your super unit in one or two tries that won't have to think twice about your ring of hotek and that will easily shrug off your measly 3 dispel dice.

You do realize that the Ring of Hotek works against spells cast AT TARGETS within 12" as well as spells cast by Wizards WITHIN 12"?

StormCrow
03-10-2008, 03:12
It's already been said, but tomb kings would have a field day against this army, especially if led by Khalida.

Makarion
03-10-2008, 06:22
VC will also laugh (as will any army that uses magic to strengthen itself more than attack), as will a Slann army, an Empire force with steam tanks (and probably a unit of flagellants), wood elves with treemen and a BSB (who also have enough shooting to keep you quite nervous), and I'm sure I can come up with other, commonly-seen, examples.

Besides, it would help had you mentioned this was for a metagame where 9PD is the maximum that's allowed. It matters, you know?

All in all, an army that in a tournament scene might occasionally work (but only sometimes, and you'll get docked for composition and sportsmanship), and in friendly games it'll not be much fun for your opponents, who should quickly wisen up and refuse to play you.

Lord of Skulls
03-10-2008, 11:16
Lord of skulls why do you say it's illegal?
Double check these things before you say something...:confused:

2250 Pts - Dark Elves Roster
[...]
Total Roster Cost: 2251
There you go. Being over the agreed points limit counts as cheating in most tournaments, I believe. I think you're the one who should check things...

theunwantedbeing
03-10-2008, 11:42
All the character's in the unit eh?
You realise your screwed against small frontage units right?(single characters on single wound mounts or on foot)

You'll have to put the sorceress in the front rank to benefit from the ring of hotek.
The BsB will have to be in the front rank to get the +1 combat res he delivers and the ASF he gives to the unit.
You'll also need the lord to accept any challenges.
That leaves the assasin at the back of the unit and the other hero. Along with the rest of the unit.
Shame you dont have a unit champion on the shades as he's forced to go in the front rank as well...so you'll lose either the BsB, the Sorceress or the General...

Certainly not an unbreatable unit by any means.
Also, your magic defence is pitiful, so long as I dont roll a double, the unit is in a lot of trouble.

I'de like to point out that a mounted character cannot join a unit of skirmishers.
So you wont be making the unit immune to fear without a magical item.

The army just isnt scary, uber unit's just dont work in warhammer...unless they're really really fast.
I doubt you'll get docked for sportsmanship with such an army, its very sporting putting all your character's in a neat fragile little bundle like that.

Conotor
03-10-2008, 11:54
Wow, massive gunline = uber lame.

Asfaloth
03-10-2008, 13:50
I like it and would certainly not have thought of this.

The list is of course extreme and some things like organ guns really hurt it. But reading some comments, I think the critics are too harsh. Some are seeming to think they only fight this unit and forget the other half of your army. And if 2000 fight against 1000 points the outcome is clear.

bambamBIGILO
03-10-2008, 18:12
I say use if you like it keep it, and if nothing else its different from everyone elses DE list.