PDA

View Full Version : Tu'Shan

Dribble Joy
29-09-2008, 16:27
Does anyone know what Tu'Shan of the Salamanders is armed with?

I'm thinking a hammer of some description and a gun, but I am unsure.

Just need some input for a conversion.

Dominus_Serui
30-09-2008, 00:43
I think...he used a sword...

Thoth62
30-09-2008, 01:11
I'm putting my money on a sword and a bike. Then the guns that go on the bike...

DOS
30-09-2008, 01:18
I'm fairly sure that Tu'Shan is pictured on pg. 52 of the 5th Ed. SM codex dual wielding thunder hammers.
I intended to do salamanders, have Tu'Shan and He'Stan in one army and counting Tu'Shan as Lysander (3+ inv from salamander mantle), but then I figured not taking Kantor is just madness ;)

starlight
30-09-2008, 01:23
Based on various readings and their implications (ie no actual descriptions):p

Salamander Mantle
Artificer or Terminator Armour
Master Crafted Thunder Hammer
Either Combi-Melta or Combi-Flamer (given the artificer nature of the Salamanders - likely Master Crafted or otherwise enhanced...)

Some thoughts from B&C:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=66342&st=1100&p=1481184&#entry1481184

Excerpted:

Chapter Master Tu'shan___________________________________________ ______________________________________200 points

Profile: As DA Master, with +1 Strength and +1 Attack

Wargear:
Terminator armor
Salamander (Adamantium) Mantle
Sword of Regents
Drake's Tongue

Sword of Regents: The Sword of Regents is a master-crafted power weapon. If wielded two-handed, it functions like a master-crafted power fist.

Drake's Tongue: Drake's Tongue is a master-crafted combi-flamer. The promethium used to fuel the flamer is of such quality that it is far more potent than other flamer weapons. When firing the flamer portion of the combi-weapon, treat it as a heavy flamer that may re-roll any failed To Wound rolls.

Warforger
30-09-2008, 02:28
None of thats true, I know I have the SM codex.

starlight
30-09-2008, 02:31
You may have the Marine Codex, but since Chapter Master Tu'Shan isn't in it, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Forgefather Vulkan He'Stan in the Marine Codex is a completely different character.:)

Warforger
30-09-2008, 02:37
Well there's no refrence, but there was a fake page on hims that was claimed to have came out of the SM codex.....

Anyway how come he doesen't have chapter tactics?

Hellebore
30-09-2008, 03:22
Well mine is wearing terminator armour with a massive salamander mantle and carrying a master crafted combi-melta stormbolter (yes, that's right) and the Hammer of Vulkan a master crafted Thunder hammer that strikes at S10. Hmmm, guess what the rules for Lysander's thunder hammer are?

I remember copping abuse for a S10 thunder hammer with people saying it's unbalanced and lo! out comes an official GW model with one and suddenly it's balanced and great. :eyebrows:

They aren't the only ones with the capacity to write balanced rules. They may be the only ones with the capacity to write LEGAL rules, but that's not the point.

Hellebore

MajorWesJanson
30-09-2008, 03:43
Tu'Shan ought to give the ability for sergeants and ICs to mastercraft weapons, and tac squads to take either a second flamer or melta, or a heavy flamer. Possibly have ICs able to take Salamander mantles as wargear. Make it upgrade (not replace, think how Calgar works) either combat tactics or Vulkans company tactics, so you could use both.

Galvatron
30-09-2008, 04:38
It might be beneficial to remember for the conversion, that Tu'Shan is both the Chapter master of the Salamanders as well as the captain of the first company the Fire Drakes at the same time.

So for conversion or painting purposes it might be useful for shoulder pads, banners, etc.

Weapon wise, I would say that in terminator armor that a master crafted thunder hammer similar to Lysander's and heavy flamer would be a good combo, or in artificer armor that a combi-bolter-melta and said thunder hammer.

starlight
30-09-2008, 05:49
Well there's no refrence, but there was a fake page on hims that was claimed to have came out of the SM codex.....

Anyway how come he doesen't have chapter tactics?

Not sure what the point is on the first part...:eyebrows:

Who doesn't have Chapter Tactics? The Chapter Master Tu'Shan who isn't in the Codex, thus doesn't have any official rules (meaning he *may* have Chapter Tactics, we simply don't know because nothing official has been printed for 5th Ed), or the Forgefather Vulkan He'Stan who is in the book and does have Chapter Tactics in addition to Combat Tactics?

If you're referring to the B&C entry for Tu'Shan and why *that* lacks Chapter Tactics, it would be because those rules were written for 4th Ed before Chapter Tactics existed, as can plainly be seen in the original Post linked to above.

heinrichvoncarstein
30-09-2008, 09:10
I'm fairly sure that Tu'Shan is pictured on pg. 52 of the 5th Ed. SM codex dual wielding thunder hammers.
I intended to do salamanders, have Tu'Shan and He'Stan in one army and counting Tu'Shan as Lysander (3+ inv from salamander mantle), but then I figured not taking Kantor is just madness ;)

Tht's not Tu Shan. If you look closely you will see he has imperial fist icons on his iron halo, weapons and his armour(to bad really as i was hoping it was Tu Shan:(). So I'm betting that the picture is a picture of Vladimir Pugh(chapter master of the Imperial Fists).
On the same page however it says something like:

"My SWORD is at the Emperors command. I answer to no other man, living or dead."
Tu Shan
Chapter master of the salamanders

Hellebore
30-09-2008, 23:18
Of course, Marneus now carries two powerfists and a power sword, so perhaps Tu'Shan carries several weapons? I REALLY don't like the idea that he doesn't carry the Salamander signature weapon, the thunder hammer. Considering it was Vulkan's favoured tool...

Hellebore

Argastes
01-10-2008, 00:31
On the same page however it says something like:

"My SWORD is at the Emperors command. I answer to no other man, living or dead."
Tu Shan
Chapter master of the salamanders

But historically, the phrase "my sword" (or "his sword", "their swords", whatever) has been used as a general euphemism for military service. It's a figure of speech, not a literal statement about what kind of weapon you use. "Pledging your sword" to a ruler means swearing military allegiance or servitude to that ruler, even if you actually happen to prefer fighting with an ax or spear or whatever. "My sword is at the Emperor's command" just means "I fight in the service of the Emperor". Tu'Shan might actually wield a hammer, or anything else for that matter. Maybe he does wield a sword. But that quote doesn't tell us anything one way or the other about his preferred weapon.

A hammer does seem most likely, though. This is the Salamanders we're talking about here. If I was making a conversion to represent Tu'Shan, I'd certainly use a thunder hammer.

starlight
01-10-2008, 05:51
Also bear in mind that with the Salamander's artificer/forge background, it is quite likely that any Salamander who has been around for a bit likely has a fair few weapons lying around... Given that the average Salamander is reputed to have near Techmarine capabilities with regards to his personal arms and equipment I'd be more than a little surprised if Game Balance doesn't over-rule what Salamanders *would* have...

Argastes
01-10-2008, 16:38
Also bear in mind that with the Salamander's artificer/forge background, it is quite likely that any Salamander who has been around for a bit likely has a fair few weapons lying around...

This is a good point, come to think of it. The idea that a certain warrior has a certain single, specific weapon that he uses all the time is really a bit silly. Throughout human history, in all different periods and cultures, any fighting man of importance and rank (and a Space Marine Chapter Master definitely has importance and rank) probably owned several different weapons of various types, and chose among them depending on the situation and his whim, rather than having a single weapon that he used exclusively.

So it doesn't really make sense to talk about whether Tu'Shan uses a sword, an axe, a hammer, a spear, or a power fist. He probably has a dozen or more weapons of various types in his personal armory, each one an important heirloom or a masterpiece in it's own right, and he will pick which one to use in a given battle based on various considerations and personal preference. I've noticed 40K gamers tend to have the idea that a given warrior is permanently and exclusively associated with a given weapon (probably because this is how it is for special characters--Dante ALWAYS has a power ax, etc.), but that's really not realistic.

So if you are making a model of Tu'Shan, don't worry about which specific weapon is "what he would use". He might well fight five different battles and use a different weapon in each one.